HybridZ

California Smog and Engine swap

I have a chance to pick up a fresh built up 302 from a 71 Camaro for my 72 240z. I know that in California the engine has to be the same year as the car or newer. If I put the 71 engine in my 72 z would I be looking at a big fine or worse?

MIles

Yes, you're smog exempt; but technically you would still not be legal. Of course there are quite a few 75 and earlier vehicles that aren't legal running around California. If you ever want to attempt to make your car legal you will need a same year or newer engine with all the emissions that came on that engine connected and working.

Miles:

Initially, the smog law stated that a "30 year rolling exemption" was in effect; after 30 years of road service the car was exempt. Also, you can put any engine in any vehicle, but the year of the motor being installed must meet the required EQMD standards for that year motor if it is newer than 1976. Our newest law states that vehicles 1976 and newer smog for the life of the vehicle. Being yours is older then 1976 you are relatively safe in that area.

Hope that helps.

VAN

If it's caught at an inspection station, they give you a no-pass and require a retest after parts are replaced/removed as the case may be. I think if the inspector is a hard-ass about it, he may report the vehicle, but I think that's as far as it goes...[edit] I stand corrected. I thought it wasn't harsh, though...[/edit]

I have a friend who rebuilt a 79 chevy truck that was originally diesel, he put a very large 454 in it, and guess what? Since it was registered at diesel, no smog tests/certs required.

What's the story if you use a crate motor, relative to the "year of the motor vs. year of the car" thing? If I were to be (God forbid) stopped at an inspection in my '72 (w/ a 2005 crate 350), what kind of smog equipment would they tell me to install? Analogs for the original factory gear? I've looked around on the 'web, haven't found any pertinent info other than that I wouldn't have to install a catalytic converter.

What is the punishment for "tampering" with smog equipment.?

Miles

I think the big problem is they won't renew your registration, so no plates.

Crate motors need to go through a referee station and get a door label that certifies the swap. Have to talk to the referee for more details.

I would think once the car is certified with a different engine you could do anything you wanted. How is the cop on the street going to know what was on the car when it was certified and what wasn't? They can call up a computer list of required equipment if the car has the original engine, but there is a limited amout of crap they can write on the door label.

I found the "Engine Replacement and Rebuilding Guidelines" from CARB

http://159.145.15.175/StdPage.asp?Body=/geninfo/publications/Engine_Change_Guidelines-Jan_1994.htm

I think that if your car is 75 or older you may as well just do whatever you want and hope you don't get caught. It's rather obvious that my car doesn't have the original engine and that its also been modified. If a law enforcement representative ever pulls me over and decides I need to visit a referee station I will be officially screwed.

I would think once the car is certified with a different engine you could do anything you wanted. How is the cop on the street going to know what was on the car when it was certified and what wasn't? They can call up a computer list of required equipment if the car has the original engine' date=' but there is a limited amout of crap they can write on the door label.[/quote']

YEP! If the certification plate says 5.7L V8, that's about all they need to see before they give up. If a cop knows a bit more, he's usually a car guy and I would hope he'd be cool about it. Just don't wear your baseball cap sideways and give him attitude...

Davy

you had a ford 302 in a camaro

typo?

if not BADASS KEEP IT IN THERE :D

There was a Chevy 302, it was put in cars for the Trans Am series qualification.....there weren't a lot but they were out there. I think it was a 70-71 RS -only motor. Not sure about that.

From what I heard it was a badass little motor - revved like a monster.

There was a Chevy 302' date=' it was put in cars for the Trans Am series qualification.....there weren't a lot but they were out there. I think it was a 70-71 RS -only motor. Not sure about that.

From what I heard it was a badass little motor - revved like a monster.[/quote']

You're right about the 302 being developed for the TransAm series. But the Camaro only used it from late 67 through early 70 and only in the Z28. After mid model year in 70 the 302 was dropped for production.

http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm search for 302