HybridZ

Buying New Turbo Web Cam Need Some Input

Ivan280zt

So I just talked to Web Cams today and I told them that I would call back on monday and order one of their cams. It looks like I will most likely go with grind #87 http://www.webcamshafts.com/datsun-auto.html they can open lobe centers to 110-114 degrees which ever I decide to go with. One thing I am considering is to either increase intake lift to .520 or decrease exhaust to .500. For guys that are running bigger cams what lobe center did you go with and how to you like it? I know that this is a very large cam but I belive it will do just fine with my setup which is btw:

*L28T stock bottom end with arp rod bolts and Hks 2mm head gasket

*Head has been ported and polished with decent amount of combustion chamer work also I already have upgraded valve springs and arp head studs

*Turbo is Big Kahuna from James Thagard at 20 psi http://www.speedshopthagard.com/garrett/T3TO4R.html

Exhaust manifold is from Greddy with 38mm Tial wastegate

*3" turbo back exhaust

*James Thagard custom built sheet metal intake manifold with 60mm tb

*James Thagard custom built intercooler 12x24x3.5

*Haltech e6k with 55lbs injectors

Only thing that I am missing right now is BhJ dampner so I can actually go and spin the motor to 7k and not worry about it. I am looking for any input from guys that are already running upgraded cam. Btw I dont care about idle and I only drive it once or twice a week and when I am driving it its mostly just beating living crap out of it. So lets hear some opinions.

Hi Ivan!

Haven't heard much from you since SEZ...

Not sure about lift/duration, but i think the 114 lobe centers would be a definite asset.

Which A/R and trim are you running on the hot side? That would definitely affect what you want to do with exhaust (and intake).

I tried to order a #87 grind with 114 degree lobe centers from them before. The sales lady said that they could do it. I guess she didn't talk to the cam grinder first, because a week later they called me back and said that they could not do it. That was when I called ISKY... Hopefully they'll do it for you.

Mike

Brad,

Here is the whole spec on turbo 63 a/r housing with stage 5 turbine (hot side) TO4R compressor .70 a/r housing with 66.5mm inducer. Turbo flows 75 lbs/min. On 13psi and stock cam it made 335whp and 345 wtrq.

Mike,

Funny thing I was talking to the lady too and she was very knowledgeable about dastuns she said she has been working there for 25 years. She recomended higher lift and shorter duration and she said that she would have to push lobe centers to at least 110 degrees so at least I know that they can at least do that much. When you did your cam from Isky did you do same lift and duration on intake and exhaust or did you mix them?

On the street I am running my 18's with kuhmos 245/40 and I also got some 16's with 245/60 Nitto 555R. I really wish that I could get flow chart to my head afther it had all the work done that way I would trully know how much lift I could use but for sure exhaust will have less lift and duration.

I ran 490 lift intake and 480 lift exhaust with 114* lobe centers. If memory serves me correctly, I believe she told me that she could do the 110* when she called me back, but that was not what I wanted, so I chose to go down slightly in lift and get the LC's that I was looking for through Isky.

4* LOL :-)

I can only go on other's experience on that one. Without giving up any speed secrets of some of the high power L28's around the board, a 114* lobe center is what they are running. that is why I chose to run it. You may want to give James T a call. He ran a Web Cam in his TT L28.

I'm running a "Web Cam" cam in my car and I like it a lot. You can't really complain about it when you've got 525hp to the ground and the car is still pulling strong. 131mph traps in a 3000lb zx! I don't remember the exact specs but it was a variation of the 155 grind. They should have the specs on file if you're interested. It did require a new cam blank, not enough meat on a stocker to do a re-grind, and I've had no problems at all with thier "cwc" cam blanks. I believe we retarded the intake cam 3 or so degrees to spred out the lobe seperation. Like I said, talk to Lori, as she's the one I eventually talked to over there. Debbie is the one that usually answers the phone. You should be able to have them look up the specs on my cam... I've ordered 2 of them so far. One for my car, and one for a customer. Now, with that said, has your head ever been on a flow bench? If it has, get the numbers to them and at each incremental lift and they can help you select the right grind for your particular car. You may not need a cam with super big lift if your head can't support it! That .488 lift I'm running really seems to do the trick and the car loves high RPM. I run mine to 7800 before I slap it into the next gear. I'm sure you'd be happy with my grind, but thats entirely up to you.

Mike,

I really dont care who makes it as long as I get what I am looking for.

James,

Yes I talked to Lori too and she seemed very knowledgagle about Z cars. I belive that my head could use lift up to .520" but we lost flow chart for the head. It was however flowing over 200cfm on intake. How much head work do you have done to yours? I am going to ask her about your car and we can go from there.

Mines had some work done to it, but nothing crazy. We just spent a little time on it while we were waiting for other parts and between other jobs. We offer 3 stages of porting and it will fall into the stage 2-2.5 range I think the intake was around 190 or so @.488 lift...can't really remember the exhaust side. There was still plent of work that could've been done but I just wanted to get the car back together...it had been down too long at that point and I just wanted to drive it again. Anyways, they should be able to do whatever you want...but there is a custom set up fee that is involved anytime they deviate from a programmed cam..Another $30-40 or something like that. Anyways, post back with your results from talking to them as I'm curious as to what they tell you.

Ok so its done I got grind #87 coming and they will be able to do lobe centers between 112-114 degree. They charged me 10% for changing lobe centers. I will get cam most likelly in two weeks or so but I still have to get my rockers resurfaced. It will be at least month before I can get some new numbers. On the stock cam and 13psi I made 335whp 11.8:1 a/f so I am hoping to bump that number to about 365whp at same boost.

i thought you were installing a turbo on your webcam, or a webcam on your turbo.

this is giving me ideas.

i can add a webcam to a turbo to monitor compressor wheel condition, and manifold damage (ala fast n the furious 1, of course)

and then i can upload them at USB 2000 speed with my turbocharged webcam.

:mrgreen:

lets race! HAHA

Come out to Kansas and I'll run ya! Been working long hours and the poor car has just been sitting,Both the car and me need to get out and have a little fun!

But back to topic, now, were you (Ivan) talking lobe center, or lobe seperation? There is a difference. With an adjustable timing gear, you can change the advance and retard of the cam, lobe seperation or spacing of the lobes them selves can't be adjusted....thats typically the adjustment you want them to make decrease overlap compared to a N/A motor the cam was probably developed for. Just wanting to make sure you were getting the right thing adjusted on your cam.

James,

Yes I am talking about lobe seperation angle getting changed to 112-114 degree. First thing they asked me when I called them was is the car turbo or non-turbo so that they could set me up with right cam. That being said I am sure that we were adjusting the right thing. I really appriciate your help guys and lets hope that this thing makes some good power : )