HybridZ

so I wound up in the emergency room tonite.

2003z

I had been looking for a quality blast cabinet, but instead decided to get this one from Northern Tool instead

155658_lg.gif

Its not the best, but I figured with the shop vac hooked to it, it would be ok.

Well anyways, I was assembling it, and got down to putting the grill in it, and the grill is a lot bigger than the openings. Its made of that stretched honey-comb mesh material, and all the edges where it was cut are very sharp. I had my head stuck in the side door, trying to manuever it around and had it bent pretty good. Well, it got loose and swung up and sliced my neck pretty good. Fortunately, it didn't go past the top layers of skin, but it bled nicely for a little bit. And since it was my neck, and extremely close to my carotid artery they put me at the head of the line! A cleaning, tetanus shot and 3 stitches later and I got home at 10pm.

My wife didn't like it, but I of course finished assembly and had to try it out! The vacuum does a great job on dust, and it works like a champ! Plus, my new eaton compressor actually puts out enough air that it cycles on and off while using it, and doesn't stay constantly on.

...it got loose and swung up and sliced my neck pretty good.... Fortunately' date=' it didn't go past the top layers of skin, but it bled nicely for a little bit. And since it was my neck, and extremely close to my carotid artery they put me at the head of the line! A cleaning, tetanus shot and 3 stitches later and I got home at 10pm.

My wife didn't like it, but I of course finished assembly and had to try it out! The vacuum does a great job on dust, and it works like a champ! Plus, my new eaton compressor actually puts out enough air that it cycles on and off while using it, and doesn't stay constantly on.[/quote']

LOL! Man, that's great---going from the hospital back to the garage to "get 'r done!" Perfect! :mrgreen:

Women will never understand car guys :mrgreen:

Davy

Good thing it wasn't any worse than it was. That could have been a baaad day if the artery was sliced and diced...

As for the blaster... looks like I did the opposite of you...

I put more $$$ into my blaster and now I need to get an even bigger compressor to keep up with it. :(

Damn, reminds me of the time the 4" cutting disc cracked and came back at me. Had to get 12 stitches due to the big gash in my arm.

So how does the blasting cabinet work, ok? I've always been confused on where do you hook up the shop vac to it? And why are there intake holes as well? Seems like the crap would go flying everywhere???

Owen

Damn' date=' reminds me of the time the 4" cutting disc cracked and came back at me. Had to get 12 stitches due to the big gash in my arm.

So how does the blasting cabinet work, ok? I've always been confused on where do you hook up the shop vac to it? And why are there intake holes as well? Seems like the crap would go flying everywhere???

Owen[/quote']there is a hole in the upper corner of the right side that is the same size as the small hose on my vacuum. I just stick the hose in it and turn it on.

Not sure what you mean by intake holes. If its the 2 big ones in front, thats where the hands go in through gloves. btw, the gloves self inflate with the vacuum on!

After a couple days use,

The gloves are too short, need to get longer ones.

Lighting is ok, but aluminum oxide is clinging to the bulb for some reason.

The normal pickup tube sucks, but I had another blaster with a better one that I have adapted.

95% of my powdercoat business is corvette brake calipers. I have about a 3 month waiting list at any given time. (10 sets of exchange brakes) Before, because I had a tiny compressor that couldn't blast, I hand scrubbed the brakes with simple green. I have cut my prep time by probably about 60% now. I am very happy with it.

I just recently built a blast cabinet (2'x2'x4') and I love it.

Just bought some 14"x7" Western Turbine wheels that I will be cleaning up, painting and clearcoating. I will be putting drag tires on them, or maybe not, I'll use the Iron Cross wheels for the drag tires....They need to get cleaned too....

Of course the main reason I built it was the '75 project car and all its' woes...

I check out some Harbor Freight units on display and saw that there were a couple of holes...one was just a hole, another had a sort of baffle over it on the inside of the cabinet. And I was reading on line on how to build your own and some guy had an intake and exhaust port.

I'm gonna try and build my own, but was wondering what the purpose of the intake was?

there is a hole in the upper corner of the right side that is the same size as the small hose on my vacuum. I just stick the hose in it and turn it on.

Not sure what you mean by intake holes. If its the 2 big ones in front' date=' thats where the hands go in through gloves. btw, the gloves self inflate with the vacuum on!

After a couple days use,

The gloves are too short, need to get longer ones.

Lighting is ok, but aluminum oxide is clinging to the bulb for some reason.

The normal pickup tube sucks, but I had another blaster with a better one that I have adapted.

95% of my powdercoat business is corvette brake calipers. I have about a 3 month waiting list at any given time. (10 sets of exchange brakes) Before, because I had a tiny compressor that couldn't blast, I hand scrubbed the brakes with simple green. I have cut my prep time by probably about 60% now. I am very happy with it.[/quote']