HybridZ

New Z owner!

hi! welcome to hybridz!!!!!!

start by replacing the plugs and wires. flushing and replacing the coolant. changing the oil.

do you know how to tune carbs?

should probably drain the gas tank if it's been sitting for a while and replace the fuel filter.

again. welcome to hybridz! this place is a wealth of knowledge and the only thing you need!

Buying a shop manual is a good place to start. At least then you will have a reference to go by. After you change the oil/filter and remove the plugs, you may want to do a compression and leak-down test....it will give you an idea of the condition of the engine internals. Then follow b_sosick's recommendations. Congrates on your first Z!!!

Thanks guys,

I dont have any idea how to tune the SU's. I read about using light weight oil (or atf) in the carbs. I was thinking about ordering the SU video from ztherapy.

Also I have no air cleaner assembly, what do you guys recomend? I was thinking about these:

http://knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=56-1410

How do I tell if I have the 70-72 or 73-74 carbs?

Thanks,

Mike

FSM? Factory Service Manual, right? Is the F54 similar enough to the L24 to make the manual worth while for the motor?

Yeah I was thinking if it is the dished piston motor and turbo head. With no turbo my compression ratio is going to suck for a na motor. How do I tell if it has dished or flat tops?

Thanks,

Mike

You'll need an FSM no matter what motor you go with. But yes, the engines are very similar. To see if the pistons are dished just pull out some spark plugs until you can see the top of one of them.

If you have a low compression engine - don't despair. Just put a turbo on it! :)

The car is smog exempt. I got it to fire up and it runs pretty good, although it is hard to tell with the 50/50 mix of good gas and nasty old gas. Not to mention the massive exhaust leak makes it sound a little funny.

Once I get it on the road Im sure I will sort out all the kinks in a hurry. (Probably end up walking home a few times)

:o