HybridZ

Broken halfshaft experiences?

sims76

I destroyed a half shaft on a launch with slicks and a 3500 stall converter. I was using custom made half shaft safety loops and will tell you it was worth the work to install them. Yes as was mentioned earlier, make themm a tight fit, just enough room to get by.

All the stories of damage, I had very little damage. Bent the half shaft loop to hell and back but it did it's job and still is in my garage to serve as a reminder.

No wheelie bars, my brother was not to keen on the idea. I think he had talked to Rip about this and might of come up with a plan, but nothing soon. We will be running at SEZ#8 just like it is presently. We wanted to give everyone a chance to out run us while the car was up in the air.

( just a little teasing :burnout: )

John

ive never thought of putting 'halfshaft' guards in, but it seems like a good idea to keep a flailing somewhat in check when it fails... but as far as everyone is sayn, it sounds like almost all the failures in the halfshafts has been in regards to u-joints coming apart eh??? has anyone tried to make a custom/hybrid halfshaft other than the CV shafts?? like bigger u-joints and mabe a slipspline inbetween??

I converted my car to z31 cv axles with custom chromoly axles from driveshaft shop. teh weak point then became the stub shaft!!!!!

latest3.jpg

latest2.jpg

latest1.jpg

first5.jpg

first1.jpg

This was the one and only launch on this setup. I truely believe I'd still be running this setup if i had converted to an automatic versus using a twin plate clutch and 5 speed. It was just too much shock to the drivetrain. I had changed the diff gearing to a 4.88 so that had something to do with it to but still the stub broke before the car moved an inch.

ZXTT_stub_axle_S30.jpg

z_strut_tube_3.jpg

If jamie ever gets around to testing his struts the IRS woes of IRS users will be solved ( in my opinion) these struts would allow you to use a gtr, z32tt, axle and diff with minimal mods. basically mount the diff, custom length axles with the gtr CVs and your nearly bulletproof now. put an automatic in there and your done for drag anyways.

• 2 months later...

Guess i should add mine even tho this is an old topic.

I was on 136 near my house and i decided to race a camaro. As i cam up to my old school( western high ) it let loose even tho i won i sould have made a bet.Cuz now ive spent 70 bucks in new u-joints to find my half shaft is completly fucked...

• 9 months later...

Wow you even busted the half shaft. I got away with breaking 3 ujoints before screwing up a shaft

I have concluded that manual's are allot harder on the ujoints then an automatic. :bonk:

The TTT setup is really kickass and should cure allot of people problems without having to go solid rear-end.

• 1 month later...