HybridZ

280ZX Intercooler Piping Example

I've been staring at my ZX for over a week now trying to figure out how to route my intercooler piping. Over the past year, I've amassed quite a collection of Z intercooler piping examples, but I have not found any 280zx examples that managed to route the turbo output across to the passenger side, behind the radiator, and the return running from the driver's side of the intercooler into the throttlebody. Does anyone have a picture they'd like to share?

I would like to retain my A/C and also have my CAI in front of the radiator. I've got an electric fan on order and have removed the OEM shroud and fan.

My only real issue is how to crisscross the pipes from the turbo and throttlebody return. The pipes intersect directly over the AFM and there is not enough clearance. I've been able to lower the AFM an inch or so by bending the support bracket.

Here's a shot of the Spearco intercooler I'm working with.

2090741_11_full.jpg

Most 280zx owners seem to route the return back from the passenger side, but this route is longer and allows the engine heat to reheat the cooled air??

On my 280ZXT I used an Isuzu NPR IC and I routed both pipes infront of the radiator, as it seems pointless to let the heat from the radiator warm up the air in the pipe that has already been cooled down by the IC!! I have seen some guys wrap their pipe in foil to compensate.

Here is what I did:

160078201.jpg

I am upgrading my IC to a custom made unit and I had the outlets placed in such a manner that I can route the pipes infornt of the radiator once again.

That Spearco is pretty nice but the location on the necks will dictate how you run your piping.

I can take pics of this IC if you like.

Yasin

Guest 280ZForce

why don't you guys just get a 1-sided intercooler that has both outlet and inlet on the same side? i myself dont have a 280zx, but i'm sure w/ the right size IC it can work as I have that setup on my 280z.

Guest 280ZForce
The problem with a single side cooler is that not only are the inlet and outlet pipes are on the same side, but you also have to deal with the CAI, AFM and A/C compressor.

originally my last motor setup i had the stock a/c, stock afm and all...still worked for me! and i know it can work for you guys.

you dont need a cai, just attach the filter to the turbo or make a short pipe angled down or straight out some if you want.

otherwise you can make the cai wrap around to the passenger side and have a filter sit out in front of the radiator as well.

win-win situation...just food for thought.

There was a thread about 2.5 years ago discussing the pros and cons of routing it either way. Basically you dont pick up much heat by running the cooled air back across behind the rad. First of all, the heat transfer characteristics to air of a large diameter pipe are poor. Secondly, the air is moving so fast that it's dwell time in the pipe is nil. Thirdly, if you pick stainless steel, any heat transfer is even more greatly reduced. I don't think it's worth losing sleep over. Route it the easiest, shortest way.

That said, the other way is cooler, but very very very little.

If you think really really hard, you can find a way to fit it all in. I have a cold air intake that comes up from under the drivers frame rail behind the headlight bucket. I run a cone filter in front of the front left spash gaurd in the wheel well. I also use, the AFM, AC, Intercooler, Oil Cooler, Radiator, and electric fan. Plus a recirculating BOV that pipes back into the intake boot after the AFM. It is crowded but it works well. I cut NO metal out ANYWHERE on the car and used all factory tap holes wherever I found them.

That's a great looking Z Cygnusx1! and thanks for the advice. I should have checked out closer at last year's convention.

I think I finally have it laid out so it will work. I plan to start cutting pipe in the morning. If I pull this off, I'll make sure to post some pictures... it'll hurt when I take the hole saw to the radiator support....

• 1 month later...
Im assuming thats what he was talking about, just be aware that a vertical flow IC will not cool/flow as well as a horizontal flow IC for the same core size, although you will probably see no difference between vertical and horizontal flow IATs with this small of an IC anyway...just my .02

You sure about that?

The vertical flow IC will definitely flow better (at least in this application - shorter path, more cross section, less pressure drop), I'd be interested to hear theories as to why the horizontal IC would cool better.

Phil,

It will be very tough to run the pipings if you have the A/C accesories. What size pipes are you planning to run? On a ZX there isn't much room between the belts and the radiator/fan. I've put IC into 4 of my ZXTs and they all don't have the AC. But I know it doesn't matter which route you take it will be very cluttered. Goodluck

Vinh

You sure about that?

The vertical flow IC will definitely flow better (at least in this application - shorter path, more cross section, less pressure drop), I'd be interested to hear theories as to why the horizontal IC would cool better.

Just what i've been told by Jose at www.forcedinductions.com and he builts 8 second street driven supras, so i'll take his word for it, BUT i do not know the theory behind it...i THINK it has something to do with the larger end tanks, and uneven flow once air is inside the tanks...but i could be dead wrong...perhaps this will make for some good reading tonight

In this case where the intake and turbo are on the same side of the vehicle, i can see how a vertical flow one sided IC will probably be better

So...ive found, (which seems now rather obvious) that a hor. flow IC, with its LONGER tubes has a greater (about 30%) thermal effiecency than that of a vertical flow, with SHORTER tubes... BUT, pressure drop is greater on a hor flow than on a ver flow IC..so which is better? depends on the application i suppose, on these cars with turbo in stock location, I change my vote to vertical flow, single sided in/out...

As an update on my intercooler project, I figured out the piping back in late July and cut up pieces of 2.25 mandrel bent aluminum pipe to fit. Then the search for a welder started. I followed the advice of a local tuner shop and dropped my pipe off with a weld shop. Two weeks later I was looking at a heap of ruined pipe. It looks like a two year old welded it. Since then I've found a new welder and had him run a few test welds on scrap pipe before reordering replacement pipe, only to have it backordered for another two weeks. Hopefully I'll get the new pipe cut, mocked up and welded by the weeekend!! Stay tuned for pictures!!

Two weeks later I was looking at a heap of ruined pipe. It looks like a two year old welded it.

I had something similar happen and thats why I go into welding my own stuff. Granted I still can't do aluminum But, I can do almost anything I'll ever need for my Z.

Lets see some pics once you get it all back.

So...ive found, (which seems now rather obvious) that a hor. flow IC, with its LONGER tubes has a greater (about 30%) thermal effiecency than that of a vertical flow, with SHORTER tubes... BUT, pressure drop is greater on a hor flow than on a ver flow IC..so which is better? depends on the application i suppose, on these cars with turbo in stock location, I change my vote to vertical flow, single sided in/out...

A debate that will continue for ages. I agree that longer tubes will have better thermal efficiency but I question 30% better. It is known that most of the heat reduction takes place in the first 6-8" of the tube. What seems to be ignored is the fact that the volume that any I/C can flow is contingent on the total area of all the tubes facing the inlet tank. A vertical I/C with 20 tubes is going to flow A LOT more than a horizantal with 10 tubes, especially if the tubes are the same size. So, the horizantal long tubes will have sligtly better thermal efficiency but more pressure drop. For both I/Cs to produce the same psi from the outlet tank, the long-tube I/C has to have more boost at the inlet tank which means a higher charge temp coming out of the turbo.