HybridZ

Porterfield pads experiences

Considering this brand for the big brake setup on the S130 grunter project. Road and track use. The R4S may not be adequate it seems, looking at the new R11 compound they start working effectively ~250 degrees F. I'm thinking brakes probably get up to that temperature around town but highway driving is a concern, an emergency stop may find the brakes not hot enough to work properly. Incidentially the R11's keep working up to 1800 degrees F which is useful :)

Anyone looked into this or had any road experience with race brakes that need heat to work properly? Porterfield here http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/pads.html

I was running Porterfield R4S pads the day I ran the Roval at Texas Motor Speedway. I had them on a set of Toyota 4x4 calipers with solid disks up front. 20 minutes into the first 30 minute session they were smoking badly and I pitted. They were new two weeks before and by the end of four 30 minute sessions they were 50% gone. The lack of survivability was as much to my drivng technique - or lack thereof - as the course - but they still took it in the shorts pretty badly. I now have the Willwood Superlights on the front on vented rotors.

The original stock brakes in good shape are sufficient for daily driving and the occaisional panic stop on the interstate. Mine worked fine for that purpose for about 10 years. By the time I got the V8 in and porked the car up to 3,000 lbs with all the interior and audio work they just didn't cut it in "spirited' driving so the upgrades came into play.

call these guys. http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.htm I use there pads on my lt1 s30. It sees street and track use. I have never had fade on the track and they work well om the street. I do have Z32 calipers and ~12 inch vented rotors front and rear on the car.

Explain what you want and they can set you up. If you want the particulars of the pad I run, just ask the guy on the phone to look up Mark Icard's account.

Good luck

You've probably seen my R4S picture:

R4S.jpg

I tried driving the R4 pads on the street, and wasn't comfortable with the amount of heat they needed to start working. Just going down a residential street in the morning was the worst. They didn't do much of anything even at 30 mph until they got hot. They did work OK on the track for me at that time though.

No experience with the R11's though.

For track use, Hawk Blues have worked well on ITS 240Zs running in a 3 hour enduro.

snicker...Not at Road Atlanta. A lot depends on the track. At RA the only thing that holds up is a Hawk HT-9, now obsolete. The HT-10's that replaced them are close. Also takes 3 ducts to each side: one to the "can" that splits the air over each side of the disk, one to the underside of the caliper to cool the hub and bearings, and one between the wheel and the top of the caliper to blow over the outermost diameter of the pads where the heat is the greatest. Rear brake balance is critical here too.

On the other hand, you can run Hawk Blues with no ducts at Roebling Road all day long.

:)

i have the toyota large 4x4 calipers in front with 84 300zx rotors and willwood 2 piston calipers in back with 84 300 zx rear rotors.on track i use the r4 in front no problem.but i dont use those on street.i use normal off the shelf pads.i switch the pads while i am installing the slicks.for the rear i use the r4s and leave them in all the time.car can be abused heavily on the track-i outbraked a few cars running into turn 10 at thunderhill.the r4 front pads last about 4 track days.the front rotrs are drilled.