HybridZ

LS2 wiring???

I have recently purchased an 05 LS2/T56 combo to put in the 78 280 I have owned for 25 years- I know- most of you weren't even born when I bought this car. I would really like to get the email and or phone #'s for any of you who have done this swap and how you went about the wiring.

Thanks,

Mike

If it were only that simple. You could sit down with a diagram and strip the harness of unused component wiring and then add the leads needed for power and ground. You could send the harness off to be modified at one of the many businesses like Speartech. You could buy a harness already to go from GM or the aftermarket suppliers. Anyway you look at it you'll need to have the ECM programmed to meet your needs (no VATS, no emissions(?), no torque control (automatics), etc.). I chose to get a offroad harness and ECM from GM Performance. Expect to spend some money.

If it were only that simple...... Anyway you look at it you'll need to have the ECM programmed to meet your needs (no VATS, no emissions(?), no torque control (automatics), etc.). I chose to get a offroad harness and ECM from GM Performance. Expect to spend some money.

it is that simple, i have a friend who used the stock harness without any cutting in multiple conversions he did. yes, you have wires hanging around, but you can just tuck them away, imo its not worth $500 to me to have someone cut wires on my harness when i could do it myself after i get the car running. yes you do need to tune it, but thats later.

I have a SI software that has info (wirings) for all vehicles. It is that simple to go thru the stock harness as long as you have the wiring diagrams for the PCM and pin out for all the connectors on the harness. Let me know if any of you need wiring diagrams for any vehicle.

I am redoing a wiring harness for a 2001 Camaro for my friend's LS1 swap right now.

Speartech is good but a bit too pricey IMO. There is another guy Jesse at Wait4Me performance, who does a flash for a lot cheaper.

"I know- most of you weren't even born when I bought this car"..

Is this comment really necessary. If you are trying to get some help I don't think you want to start out that way. I don't think you can buy that Z before 1978. I and a long with most of the people in here are born way before that.

"I know- most of you weren't even born when I bought this car"..

Is this comment really necessary. If you are trying to get some help I don't think you want to start out that way. I don't think you can buy that Z before 1978. I and a long with most of the people in here are born way before that.__________________

So, I wasn't knocking anyone out there. I'm just getting old and Its taken me so long to start this project.

Thanks for all the help I am getting.

Mike

So' date=' I wasn't knocking anyone out there. I'm just getting old and Its taken me so long to start this project.

Thanks for all the help I am getting.

Mike[/quote']

No offense taken here whatsoever but then again I was still just a tike back then.

Cameron

I went the Speartech route and had the harness extended so it could be installed under the passenger seat. Unfortunatly I measured wrong and was about 6" too short so I ended up installing the computer under the dash.

Oh yea, on the age thing. Flattery will get you nowhere! Ha!

Let's see. I grew up in Idaho & I was probably born before you were so that gives me room to really beat on you? Naa - why bother.:o

My LS1 convedrsion uses the stock Z28 wiring harness. The exttra wires were stripped out and a few others from the Datsun were added in to allow using the stock gauges. The ECM will need to be reprogrammed because of obvious differences in the requirements of the vehicles. Mine was done by www.ChipsbyAl.com.

Difficulty is dependent on your electrical ability and hving the wiring diagrams for the GTO and your Z. If you happen to live in Boise there is a hotrod shop out on Fairview that could probably do it for you.

Howard Performance, Arizona (480) 577-9413 Jeff

I got the most beautiful constructed "stand alone" harness, (exceeds OEM quality) doesn't matter what vehicle, will run an LS2 in anything, complete with dual heavy amp relays (where they belong) for my Davis radiator & fans, fuel pump relay, VSS speedo interface, reprogrammed OEM performance PCM, 5 wire MAF, everything needed.

No brainer installation, clearly labeled idiot proof. custom ordered at great price.

Oh yeah, I'm an old fart too 54

M1noel,

it took me 8 years to start my project. I just spend a few hours to go thru the stock Camaro EFI harness and label all the wires I need to connect and cut all the wires I won't need. Maybe I should take some pictures and do a little write up while I am doing this.

Again if anyone needs wiring info on any car please send me an email. I have this Service Information software that a friend of mine gave to me. This is the software the techs used to repair customers' cars. I admit it doesn't have everything but it does has some stuffs the service manuals don't.

How do you deal with security, emissions issues, CAGS and all the various trouble codes your PCMs gonna pitch when it "sees" missing sensors, wires and input wrong values?

Are you actually going to pin-out the entire PCM, reconfigure the harness and re-program and tune it yourself?

Seems like a stand alone harness (build or buy) and leaving the Zs harness alone except for minimal interface necessary for gages makes alot more sense.

I am definately going to have to have the ecm reprogrammed. I talked to Jeff at Howard- he can't support the throttle by wire at this time. As I know this project is going to take a while, I may-repeat may- build my own harness or rework the stock harness.

The stock wiring harness on the 05 GTO ls2 fits the z-car very good. The harness only needs 2 hots added. All of the other wiring is done on the Blue J1 plug, this is a plug that plugs into the ecu and is separate from the engine harness. You will find everything you need in this plug. the TBW will also be in this plug I think it is 4 wires and you extend them to the TBW pedal.

ULISES Can you post some pictures of the ecu and wires and TBW pedal.

Pin - Wire Color - Function

1 TN/BK High Speed GMLAN Serial Data Bus+

2 TN High Speed GMLAN Serial Data Bus-

3 Not Used

4 BN/WH Check Engine Indicator Lamp Output

5 Not Used

6 Not Used

7 BN Electronic Throttle Pedal Position Return 1

8 PU Electronic Throttle Pedal Position Return 2

9 Not Used

10 BN Engine Control Relay Coil Control

11 Not Used

12 Not Used

13 YE Starter Relay Output-Coil

14 PK Ignition 1 Voltage

15 Not Used

16 Not Used

17 Not Used

18 YE Accessory Voltage

19 OG Ignition 3 Voltage

20 OG/BK Battery Positive Voltage

21 PU/WH VSS Signal

22 BU Electronic Throttle Pedal Position Signal 1

23 Not Used

24 GN Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Signal

25 Not Used

26 GN/BK A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Signal

27 Not Used

28 Not Used

29* TN Electronic Throttle Pedal Position 5-Volt Reference 2

30 GN A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Signal 5-Volt Reference

31 GY Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor 1, 5-Volt Reference

32 BU/RD Stop Lamp Switch Signal

33 Not Used

34 Not Used

35 WH/BK Electronic Throttle Pedal Position 5 Volt Reference 1

36 OG/BK Low Speed Cooling Fan Relay Control

37 PU Fuel Gage Sensor Signal

38 GY Extended Travel Brake Switch Signal

39 Not Used

40 Not Used

41 L-BU Electronic Throttle Pedal Position 2

42 YE Reverse Lockout Solenoid Control

43 PU/WH CPP Switch Signal

44 Not Used

45 GN/WH Fuel Pump Relay Feed-Coil

46 BN Cruise Control Release Signal

47 Not Used

48* BN/RD Tachometer Signal

49 Not Used

50 Not Used

51 GN/BU Park/Neutral Position Switch Park Signal

52 PU Crank Voltage

53 Not Used

54* WHT To BCM Connection 1 position 16

55 TN A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Signal

56 BU/WH High Speed Cooling Fan Relay Control

* Denotes a difference from the Factory Service Manual (FSM) and my harness.

29 FSM has the color listed as TH instead of TN.

48 FSM doesn't list the red stripe (BN/RD), only listed as solid brown (BN).

54 Is listed as Not Used. I split open the loom and followed it to the Body Control Module (BCM).