HybridZ

Turbo compressor wheel and housing damaged - useable?

My friend bought an extra turbo for his Buick Grand National but it turned out to be jacked up - bearings went out, the shaft has tons of play. The turbo is from an 86-87 and is only oil cooled. Because of the shaft play, the compressor wheel and housing had some good contact and there is some serious scathing on both.

I have been told you can use the compressor wheel and housing (including the backing) from these Buicks to upgrade the Z T3 turbos. I would like to know if this compressor wheel and housing, if transferred to my turbo would work or not. I think there would be some blow by and it would not compress the air as efficiently, but it may still be an improvement from stock, so I am just looking for some other opinions here. What do yall think? Is this thing trash or useable?

Here are the pics:

compwheel.jpg

comphousing.jpg

its trashed...find another one to upgrade with or go with a t3/t4 hybrid and you'll be a lot happier anyways. The GN compressor wheel isn't much of a step up from stock. If you're going to spend the money, a hybrid willmake you much happier

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha ha... actually guys I recently upgraded my compressor housing using a compressor wheel that looked just like that! I used a dremel sanding disk to take the burrs off and I went from a 14.1 to a 13.4 in the quarter! Mind you my housing didn't look anywhere near that bad and I was using the same bearing assembly so it wasn't trashed.