HybridZ

RIP Steve Irwin

zguy95135

Helix, you mean that you all DON'T go around saying "Croikey" and "That's a beaut!" ? Next you're going to tell us you don't wear Croc tooth hats and carry gigantic bowie knives around saying:"That's not a knife, THIS is a knife!" I can see how he was pretty embarrasing, but we don't all have that perception of everybody walking around Australia. There have to be some people running around in football pads with spikes breaking stuff, or they would never have filmed the Road Warrior there, right?

(In case you couldn't tell-it's hard to tell a decent joke on the internet-, this was all a joke, except the part about knowing you aren't a country of Steve Irwins walking around jumping on any animal that crosses your path. I'd probably be mad too if somebody latched on to like Pee Wee Herman as an example of what should represent America to foriegn people, so I can sympathise)

RIP Steve Irwin.

He was probably as offensive to some Australians as Hasselhoff in Baywatch is offensive to us Americans. We all have bikini babes running all over the place here in the USA. People here get shocked when a TV celebrity dies because we are conditioned by "fake" reality TV where nothing actually ever happens. Irwin's stuff was apparently, "real".

As an Australian, I f'n hated him. He played upon the American ignorance and stereo-types of Australians for his own personal benefit and was a terrible representative of our country.

Yes, but MANY really liked him, myself included. I never saw him as representing the "true Australian." OK, so he was over the top, but so are many entertainers from here, there, and everywhere. My kids liked him a lot too. I feel very sorry for his family.

Davy

I always saw him as one of the people most passionate about their jobs anywhere, it's so rare to see someone with that kind of passion about anything, let alone a task so noble. He might not represent Australia, but I really respect the awareness of nature, especially crocidiles that he has brought to so many people that otherwise would have had no idea. The natural world lost a great ambassador and spokesman, love him or hate him.