HybridZ

port matching intake

Guest dan4011

hey guys, i have the weber 60mm tb and i was wondering if anyone has port matched there intake maifold to 60mm. i was thinking about doing this myself. what would the best thing to use be to get a smooth accurate cut?

yea i got a carbide bit on my dremel tool, it worked out pretty good, not as smooth as i wanted it, and not completely 60mm, but it deff should help.

now i got to figure out how this idle screw on the weber tb works?..

Port matching is one of those low buck mods that helps other mods perform better. Its not worth removing the intake/exhaust/head from the car just to do port matching but when that stuff's off for other reasons, its another thing to add to the to-do list.

What 240hoke said... a good carbide tip makes quick work of it..

http://www.cruez.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3

There are a couple pics there when I did my TB port matching.

HOLY GOD!!! That is a beautiful intake manny and damn you did a great job on it. I don't think I've seen anyone that has taken the time to remove the holes and smooth out the manifold, Im definitely going to do that when I get around to building up the motor.

• Administrators
Port matching is one of those low buck mods that helps other mods perform better. Its not worth removing the intake/exhaust/head from the car just to do port matching but when that stuff's off for other reasons, its another thing to add to the to-do list.

I couldn't of said it better, (or at least in fewer words.. LOL)

IntakeMedium.jpg

DSC_7981Medium.jpg

I think this guy wants to PORT his manifold, not port match it. I mean I guess you could call it port matching, but if he's going to a bigger TB it's not the usual 5 second shot with a sanding roll type of port match. He's talking about hogging it out to the 60mm. If I were to guess, I'd say that probably IS worth taking the manifold off.

Wow you guys make my fab work look like total ♥♥♥♥. Im guessing the only option to do something like this is fill it in with aluminum welds correct? What are the chances of a local welder doing the fill work for me since I don't know how to weld aluminum nor do I have access to what I need. Anyone have a rough estimate as to how much they might want to charge to fill in the welds? (don't want to get screwed and would like to know if I come across a good deal) Other than that I would just need an angle grinder right?

Edit: Also I have the N47 head on a 79 ZX, would I be able to grind out the webbing on the intake manifold or is that a no no.

You don't actually need to weld it in, not many of the holes go all the way through. Braap did a write up some while back explaining how he would use pipe plugs in the hole, and then grind them down. I didn't do that, I just ground it down, and the spots that were really low I used JB Weld like it was bondo, and then wrinkle finished the hell out of it. I chose to leave my vacuum ports on top, instead of moving them to the bottom like a lot of the guys did.

• Administrators
You don't actually need to weld it in, not many of the holes go all the way through. Braap did a write up some while back explaining how he would use pipe plugs in the hole, and then grind them down. I didn't do that, I just ground it down, and the spots that were really low I used JB Weld like it was bondo, and then wrinkle finished the hell out of it. I chose to leave my vacuum ports on top, instead of moving them to the bottom like a lot of the guys did.

As Veritech stated, the intake I first pictured, (gray one with the 60mm throttle valve as used on our race car), I did tap the holes and installed brass pipe plugs, ground them down, filled all divots and crevices with JB weld, then just painted the manifold with “Cast Blast” paint, color is cast Iron gray. (see the “in process” pics below).

The intake pictured in the mid Engine Z project had all of its holes welded so that it could be ceramic coated. I am currently modifying another N-42 intake in the same manner for ceramic coating, but minus the throttle linkage towers and machined for O-ring injectors like our Race car intake.

Intake1Large.jpg

Intake1Medium.jpg

racecar1Medium.jpg

• Administrators
That engine is set far in. Going for the mid engine huh . lol

Did you totally reconstruct the firewall on the inside?. Got any more pic's of that..

That car was never finished... got 'traded in' for this...

M3.jpg

I still have the chassis, though. Been kicking around the idea of resurrecting it.

Needs significant structural work as the cowl became very flimsy. You can flex the windshield quite easily.

Drivetrain moved 14"...

EngineBack.jpg