HybridZ

I did what any respectable guy would do, I got me a new TIG!

dr_hunt

First of all, thanks grumpy for the link.

I bought it this AM, it will ship to day and I'll have it by next wednesday!

This is it; http://www.htpweld.com/products/tig_welders/tig201.html

They had used ones (6 hours of use) on ebay, that ended up selling for more than they cost new, amazing! I got a email from them saying that they would sell me one for $75 less than the winning bid, NIB. I opted for the water cooler, 25 foot torch and pedal and a host of consumable supplies for alum, mild, and stainless steel, I even got the pyrex cups which I think are amazing!

I have tons to do, so it won't take long to become reaquainted with getting it done. I'll let you all know how I like it and how it works.

Fixing the magnetic drum separator for my wash plant, 7 feet long, 30" diameter, broke in half, Stainless steel. Needs a new sleeve.

Then it's on to finishing the exhaust on the TT project. I had a water leak on the intake, but I got that fixed tonight. Got the guages installed and wired and the MSD and two step mounted and wired. Needs plugs, trans-brake switch, plug wires, clamps on the intake piping, greddy and LC-1, and it's ready to fire up for the first time. I'll run it for awhile then pull the turbo's, reset the valves, re-install it all, then drive it off-boost for awhile to seat the rings.

Probably going to take 3 weeks to complete everything though, the exhaust is going to be interesting. Going to come out just behind the front wheels at the bottom of the rockers. Just going to have the 3" flowmasters and then right out the side.

• 2 weeks later...
How much was everything?

It was $3175 with all the consumables.

It works freaking awesome! I've been practicing on .134 tubing getting it down, before I move to stainless. THe HF start is truly amazing, the balance and hz controls do wonders with aluminum, makes nice welds on aluminum.

I ordered more tungsten, lanthanated, and some more pyrex cups. I've found that while you can see through them, they don't help welding that much, but since my torch is set up for those I'll keep using them.

Truly for the home guy this is a super neat machine. The water cooled torch is awesome too, I've never had one of those before.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you. Nothing welds like a water cooled TIG! My steel welds look great. I have a little more practice that needs to be done for Aluminum. TOTALLY different animal. I've put brackets on my 2 Griffin radiators. I have one mounted in the Camaro, but I'm going to re-do inlet and outlet on the one for the Z so I need to order a couple of bends.