HybridZ

Pics: New CrMo-rollcage for my 240z

Input? Feedback? Critique?

Mull,

I'm not a chassis engineer, so I'll just say "Boy, does that look good!" :mrgreen:

I'm trying to figure out all the triangulation and how it works in your chassis and it seems to look alright from my novice standpoint. I wish I has half the cage in my Z as you do in yours; I'd be happy :D

Davy

I have two issues with this iteration of this cage. One is the dash bar. I think a straight across bar would be better in terms of protecting against a side impact, and there isn't anything to brace right there in the cowl. The second issue is the supports from the main hoop to the floor on the deck. Seems totally needless since you already have the ones going to the strut towers.

Are you going to bring the cage thru the firewall ?

It's already though the firewall. You can see it in the third pic.

Triangulation isn't 100% finished yet though =)

I have two issues with this iteration of this cage. One is the dash bar. I think a straight across bar would be better in terms of protecting against a side impact, and there isn't anything to brace right there in the cowl. The second issue is the supports from the main hoop to the floor on the deck. Seems totally needless since you already have the ones going to the strut towers.

1) Noted. You think it makes the car into a tank? Too stiff - crash-/impact wise?

2) Those two buggers will support the new rear IRS/cradle. Not so needless : )

1) Noted. You think it makes the car into a tank? Too stiff - crash-/impact wise?

I think it would be less stiff than a straight bar. It's just not the best load path. Think about getting hit from the side with that dash bar. Instead of the dash bar sending the load from the driver's side of the cage to the passenger's side directly through a straight bar, it instead transmits the load to the cowl. The cowl itself is a structural member of the car, but it isn't as sturdy as the cage on the other side I don't think. You can still run the brace down to the trans tunnel with a straight across dash bar.

That sound interesting. Any pics of that?

so, my car has had its roof butchered by a crappy sunroof. this brings me to my question, how hard was it to cut the top off and how difficult is it going to be to get the curve of the roof right when you weld a piece back on? i think that its going to be difficult for it to not look strange, its whats discuraging me from doing it to my car. oh and i plan on doing a 10 point cage to my car also

how hard was it to cut the top off and how difficult is it going to be to get the curve of the roof right when you weld a piece back on?

Cutting; I dunno. I wasn't there. Probably wasn't too hard.

"Weld a piece back on?" Who's welding? I got other plans in store for the roof devil.gif

Comment on those is at least on my '72 the area where you show them mounting to the floor is very thin. I'm talking about the horizontal package tray which is spot welded to the real floor below. Looks like the mounting plates go on top of the package tray and not the more substantial floor underneath. If I were you I would cut out the package tray in that area and tie into the floor beneath. On mine the package tray metal is so thin (and not because of rust) that I can easily wiggle it back and forth by hand. To me the package tray seems to be an afterthought to provide a place to hold luggage etc and is not actually structural. Play with it and see what you think.

Cameron

just a quick question, why didnt you run them like this?

run them more along the inner fenders, and then down over the curve, ending right behind the radaitor support.. just wondering here, im not a professional cage builder, but i would think that would give you more room in the engine bay, and add more strength

DSC00013_thumb.jpg

just a quick question, why didnt you run them like this?

run them more along the inner fenders, and then down over the curve, ending right behind the radaitor support.. just wondering here, im not a professional cage builder, but i would think that would give you more room in the engine bay, and add more strength

We figured: Why add strength that far in front of the suspension? There won't

be anything there except a intercooler and a radiator, and they won't add any

forces that need triangulation.

That's why icon12.gif