HybridZ

Check A/F Ratio with 02 Sensor and Multimeter?

280zwitha383

Any one know if wide bands can be read with a multimeter?

I have 2 widebands I pulled out of the wife's minivan when the heaters went out. The sensors still work, just open circuit heaters throwing error codes. I was thinking of installing an O2 just to help with tuning the carb. At $250 each I figured I might as well use the wide bands since I have them.

I know the service manual says a dedicated "air fuel ratio sensor" tool must be used to trouble shoot them.

The problem with using those "broken" sensors is that the heater is a very important part of getting an accurate A/F reading. If you did use them you would have to mount them very high up in the exhaust stream so that they would get hot enough to read correctly. Even then it might not be a 100% accurate.

I dont think its even possible to use a single wire o2 to get accurate readings. It wasn't really intended to give that accurate of a reading and I wouldn't trust a 1 volt sensors to do the job of a 5 volt sensor. Again it has no heater so results might be less than ideal. It was really intended to rear rich or lean, not a specific value for rich or lean.

Personally spending $400 on an LM-1 was worth it because I dont plan to ever stop working on cars and I can use it over and over. Plus I can get some of that back when buddies with out one want to use it or have me use it because I can charge them a small fee for wear and tear on the sensor since it will eventually wear out.

Guy

I'm not going to make the whole argument AGAIN, but if you search you'll probably find old threads where I had friends compare their NB to WB on the dyno and they were RIGHT ON. Not the best for the really high strung engine that has to run exactly perfect to prevent it from exploding, but a hell of a lot better than what most carbed NA guys do, which is read plugs (badly).

I had good luck with Bosch, as did a couple friends of mine. One used a heated O2, but like I said, just takes a couple minutes and then it reads fine. I think it cost me about $35 for the sensor, and then I seem to remember $6 for the voltmeter. Prices may be up a bit, I think I bought that sensor more than 5 years ago...

I think an analog MM will load down the sensor too much.

Pretty sure you have to have the high input impedance of a digital MM to read the weak signal from an 02 sensor.

Well I already have the MM and the wideband O2, so if I ever get the motor running I guess I will find out what works. All it will cost me is a mounting bung.