HybridZ

Pulled a Michael Jackson (painted my car w/pix)

EMWHYR0HEN

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great. Get yourself some run blockers/shavers. It'll save you a lot of time in getting all those runs out.

Thanks again everyone for your compliments :-D

What are run blockers/shavers? are you refering to just plain old foam blocks you block sand the body with? It would be great if I could shave some time off wet sanding because i have quite a few runs all over the car, lol.

Congrats on having the stones to do it yourself.

I too am going to paint my '83ZXT white - totally. I am currently building a paint booth and fabricating a fresh air system for the paint process.

Before I paint I have one rust through area that needs a patch and the windshield area has some rust. Will have to remove all glass and door handles, bumpers, etc. before painting.

This will be my first time also - glad I picked white.

What paint did you use?

Awsome. just make sure when painting in your garage you enclose EVERYTHING. There was tons of overspray in places i did not expect.

Oh and get yourself a good respirator, i almost puked the first day with a cheapo one.

I Forgot the brand of the paint, but I got it at a local place that sells auto paint and suply. It's a single stage paint. It was reconmended by the owner of the paint store, a very informative guy by the way, that single stage paint was more for novice painters, or for someone looking for a decent paint job that doesnt last too long. It was alot cheaper than buying base/ clear coat and hell of a lot faster and easier, which is a good thing for me, a first time painter. I dont remember if it was an acrylic or laquer, but it was a polyurethane, so it takes some time to dry.

I'll be sure to post more pics after this weekend of the end result from color sanding and buffing. I'll try to take some pix while i'm buffing too, just so you all can see the difference.

Nice job!!! Hey, everybody noticed the paint job and the rims but I noticed your seats!!! What are they? Recaros? I used to own a TRUE #157 Scarab and miss the car so much. They had Recaros with webbed headrest and been looking for them since.

I anyone should want to aask how I could loose such a collector Scarab... it's the old divorce thingy.

Hey, they are Recaros. The pics were so big and so long to load I didn't notice you had a shot of the headrest with the logo on it. Did you have to modify the rails too much? What model Recaros are they? Thanx for the info.

It was a pain to install the seat because recaros are big and heavy esp in a tiny little car. I think i used the stock rails and fabbed up metal to bolt upto the seat and rail.

oh and its Recaro SRD. I might actually be selling that seat for a non reclineable recaro bucket. i'll post it here for sale

You have a very clean car I commend your color choice! I have a love for white cars.. so clean and pure.

Thanks austin, and the same to you!

I'm glad some people think i made a good decision on color choice. All my buddies thought white is a wussy color and tried talking me out of it (idiots), But i follwed through and all turned out well.

Now I can spend less time washing my car, and more time driving it!

I blame Honda for popularizing white as the color of sports cars. Championship white just looks so hard on the Type R models...I'm thinking I'll eventually paint my car pearl white.

Haha, thats so true. Dahm those type R's. Then again theres only 2 cars that Honda makes that fall into my catagory of "sports car". The NSX and S2K.

I just picked white for easy maintanence and so that my flares and spoiler would stand out more opposed to black on black.

Spent the weekend drinkin beer and buffing out the paint with rubbing compound follwed by a nice wax. Put on all new painted emblems and a little polish on the chome everywhere. It's my first paint job so i was kind of sketchy on how it would turn out. Now that its all said and done i'm happy with the end result, and glad that I didnt take it to a cheapo paint shop.

Here is the end result. I'm so glad im done!

P1020437.JPG

P1020438.JPG

P1020439.JPG

looks nice remind me of my old 260z, like hte white on black. I seriously thought about doing my 240z white again. I dont think there is a better choice to hid body work and imperfections, dark colors jsut show everything... I found that out the hard way.