HybridZ

Lowering a 280Z

I've searched and read a ton of posts but still have no idea the best way to do this. I want to drop my car about 1 inch or so especially the front. I've read about changing the strut hats but really have no idea what that means. I also read about camber issues with lowering the front. AZ sells lowering springs that sound like they may be what I want but I'm still confused. I'm very new at Datsuns and have little or no experience altering suspensions. I am running a sbc engine in a '77 280Z. Wheels are 17x7 with 0 offset on 1 1/2" adapters and 215/50 tires and right now the suspension is stock with new urathane bushings. Opinions on how to do this without spending a fortune.

I lowered my 280Z a year ago using suspension techniques 280 lowering springs, tokico cartridges, and msa bumpsteer spacers. I also took that opportunity to replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, and a the sway bar bushings, as well as do a little cleanup. This lowered the front and rear about 1.5".

Some pics of that swap in this album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2122587659

JCWhitney.com was selling these springs for around $150 a little while back. I paid over $200 for mine when I bought them. I can only speak for the Suspension Techniques springs. I've seen msa and tokico springs installed and thought these gave a better overall stance. I have them on my 240 and my 280.

The hat swap is only for the rear, as the front hats can replace the taller rear hats if you have a spare set. This takes off about an inch, if i recall correctly.

I've done this swap several times on Z's and can help out if you need. I can get a spring compressor, too.

Cheapest way is just springs like the above guys link, this is assuming your shocks are decent and still work. If not you might need new shocks. Lowering your car 1-1.5'' isn't going to effect camber much. What your saying about struts hats is the top piece of your strut[it bolts to the shock, atop the spring and has threaded bolts that strut bars attach to etc.]. On a 280z you can move/buy another set of front strut hats and bolt them on the rear to lower it[this is because the front hats are shorter than the back and they're compatable]. But, to have a shorter front hat you would need to replace it with camber plates or something[which require cutting and possibly welding].

-afterthought- Might not want to go with the above springs because they are designed with an l28. Might need to find somewhere to order custom spring rates.

How old are your stock springs? Reason I ask if the springs are old, you may already be riding lower than stock. New lowering springs could actually raise your ride height.

Having said that, MSA sells some springs that are suppose to lower your car an inch and a half

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PSDC01A

I have no idea how old they are, I've only had the car for 1 1/2 years. I have heard about that happening when new springs are installed.

Cheapest way is just springs like the above guys link, this is assuming your shocks are decent and still work. If not you might need new shocks. Lowering your car 1-1.5'' isn't going to effect camber much. What your saying about struts hats is the top piece of your strut[it bolts to the shock, atop the spring and has threaded bolts that strut bars attach to etc.]. On a 280z you can move/buy another set of front strut hats and bolt them on the rear to lower it[this is because the front hats are shorter than the back and they're compatable]. But, to have a shorter front hat you would need to replace it with camber plates or something[which require cutting and possibly welding].

-afterthought- Might not want to go with the above springs because they are designed with an l28. Might need to find somewhere to order custom spring rates.

Thanks, one of the things I was unclear about was if the hats bolted on or needed welded.

I lowered my 280Z a year ago using suspension techniques 280 lowering springs, tokico cartridges, and msa bumpsteer spacers. I also took that opportunity to replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, and a the sway bar bushings, as well as do a little cleanup. This lowered the front and rear about 1.5".

Some pics of that swap in this album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2122587659

JCWhitney.com was selling these springs for around $150 a little while back. I paid over $200 for mine when I bought them. I can only speak for the Suspension Techniques springs. I've seen msa and tokico springs installed and thought these gave a better overall stance. I have them on my 240 and my 280.

The hat swap is only for the rear, as the front hats can replace the taller rear hats if you have a spare set. This takes off about an inch, if i recall correctly.

I've done this swap several times on Z's and can help out if you need. I can get a spring compressor, too.

Thanks, that clears up a lot. I was hoping to accomplishe thsi with springs. While I'm at it replacing the shocks only makes sense. Which tokico cartridges part number did you use?

No problem. The while-i'm-at-it syndrome gets you every time. The part numbers for the cartridges are HZ3012 and HZ3013. I don't remember which is part number front or rear. I bought them from Victoria British, but have since seen much better deals on ebay for complete sets (around $200 compared to over $300 from VB/Black Dragon Automotive).

Front springs on JCWhitney: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000166504/mediaCode-ZX/appId-10027550/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000016650410027550

Rear springs on JCWhitney:http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000166505/mediaCode-ZX/appId-10027552/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000016650510027552

Cartridges on Ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-HP-SHOCKS-NISSAN-280Z-75-to-78-BEST-PRICE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ006QQitemZ160036568893QQrdZ1

No problem. The while-i'm-at-it syndrome gets you every time. The part numbers for the cartridges are HZ3012 and HZ3013. I don't remember which is part number front or rear. I bought them from Victoria British, but have since seen much better deals on ebay for complete sets (around $200 compared to over $300 from VB/Black Dragon Automotive).

Front springs on JCWhitney: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000166504/mediaCode-ZX/appId-10027550/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000016650410027550

Rear springs on JCWhitney:http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000166505/mediaCode-ZX/appId-10027552/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000016650510027552

Cartridges on Ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-HP-SHOCKS-NISSAN-280Z-75-to-78-BEST-PRICE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ006QQitemZ160036568893QQrdZ1

Thanks Ryan, since you're local (Atlanta) I may be contacting you when I get parts and start swapping if I run into trouble. I'm about ready to take my car down for the LT1 swap but it would be nice to get this done first.

Thanks Ryan, since you're local (Atlanta) I may be contacting you when I get parts and start swapping if I run into trouble. I'm about ready to take my car down for the LT1 swap but it would be nice to get this done first.

No problem. I'm happy to help if I can.

Arizona Z car sells assembled suspension with everything you need to do it. There a bit pricey but you get what you pay for and they also sell nice brakes thats the next step for me. I think their website is arizonazcar.com

Thanks, I've talked to them. I already did the 4 caliper front and rear disc thing, should have changed the springs then....live and learn.

Deja,

When my car had 160,000 miles on it I replaced the original springs with some Nissan European spec srpings from MSA. They are 1/4" shorter thatn the original stock springs but 15-17% stiffer. They RAISED the ride height of my car a full 1". From the ground to the bottom edge of the rocker panel front and rear my ride height is 7" but it does keep my dual 2 1/2" exhaust clear of speed bumps.

I bought one of the Tokico 1" drop spring/strut combos from Ebay for $400 or so. It sits pretty nice, but it doesn't look especially low. My car has 17" wheels as well, but I don't have a v-8 yet. The extra weight would probably give you a bit more rake in the front than what I've got if you did the same setup as me.