HybridZ

Went to the dyno

Big Z

Hello all,

My car is a 240z with a Euro spec L28ET. After driving for a year with a L26 I was looking for some more performance and I found a complete 280zx turbo 2+2 with a BW T5 transmission.

When I was in process of taking the car apart i had the opportunity to buy another L28ET with a T5 transmission and all auxiliaries. I cleaned and painted the engine because I didn't want to take the engine apart (previous owner told the engine had done about 80000km), and put it into the 240z with a later type ZX transmission. The wiring was a bit tricky because I had followed the sticky thread about putting s130 wiring into a s30, only problem was that the euro type wiring use one connector and a small yellow wire to connect to the ignition module.

The fuel pump hook-up with the relay also didn't work (its not running for 10sec when the contact is switch on), after the wiring was finished, the car started at the first try!!

Only dumb thing I did was putting 440cc injectors I bought from Japan on the engine, it ran but boy it smoked like mad!

After some driving around i went to the drag strip with every thing standard and did a 15.9 quarter mile going with 90mph through the traps :(

I bought a mbc set to 10psi went to the drag strip and put down a 14.7 @93mph. I know that it’s smarter to change the down pipe and then turn up the boost.

My latest change was a few weeks ago when I built the down pipe. It’s build from steel welding elbows of 3" diameter and a exducer from a custom turbo flange (total cost with my own welding machine only $50). Went back to the drag strip for the final time and did at 10psi 14.35 @97mph, did this on the original 3.9 r180 diff. I know there are some quicker guys on this forum that did better quarter mile times with stock setups in a 240z.

Last weekend i went to the Dutch Japanese car brand meeting and i was the only person to show up with a 240z (the Dutch z and zx club weren’t there) so the only option was to go to the Nippon classic club to stand in between Datsun 100a, 1600 and some Laurels. They were very nice persons and the didn't make a problem (He said a 240z attract people). When I walked around i spotted a dyno machine (you can take it to meetings and tracks behind your car) i was there with my brother (also a z nut and drives a 240z) and i told him that for around 50 dollar you could do a dyno run. He was like “why do you need that you got a turbo this don't mean you got big hpâ€. I told him i like to know what the engine would put down with the 3" dp into 2'25" exhaust and 10 psi !

I asked the dyno person if he hade a wideband meter also but he didn't :( so they strap the z down on the dyno (It was like a dyno dynamic Dynostar or something). Already some people were standing around the car and he did the run. The most funny part was the operator his eyes were getting bigger and bigger, after the result from the first run. It showed around 180 rwhp. I’m like: sir I think you left the handbrake on! he's said: no way! I’ll do another run. I asked if i could adjust the boost (first run was 8 psi) he's like ok but you know what your doing? yesss I’ll put it to 10psi.

2nd run and he put the hammer down and looking at the computer screen and start smiling, put down 216.5 Rwhp and 359nm (264.75lb/ft), crank Hp was 252.6 and 404nm (297.94lb/ft) he told me if i knew what i was doing with the few psi extra!! I told him i still have the emergency relieve valve and nothing going to explode. Only I told him not to rev over 6k, but he went up to 6700rpm :(

I couldn’t get the smile from my face for the whole day, :D and allot of people ask about the car and engine which was nice because the younger people only know Honda and new Nissan models and other quick rockets.

My question to you guys:

What do you think of these numbers i have a feeling that it is a bit too positive, could also be wrong. Why does the HP fall after 4200rpm??

I’ll attach the Dyno sheets below.

wheel4.JPG

251.6@5157rpm / 404nm @4113 (crank)

crank1.JPG

216.5 hp @ 4592rpm / 359nm @ 4068rpm (whp)

Hmm hard to say about the power dropping early . . .

When I first swapped a L28et into my 280z it was BONE stock, boost and everything. I was pulling very similar mph as you. Right at 90mph. My best et with that was a 14.9

So I imagine you just need a bit more seat time. I think you're making enough power already for 13's. . .

That is about dead right on for a Eurospec ZXT.

The Euro ZXT had 20HP more than US-Spec vehicles, with no EGR, No Catalyst, No AAC, No ECCS (Straightforward EFI ECU!) and simple pneumatic retard on the distributor.

You didn't get the ZXT from Frank Poll over in Utrecht, did you? Seems he is "the source" for the Z-Parts in the Netherlands (he should be, he shipped a container of them there from my back yard! LOL)

You are in the ballpark for where you should be at both boost levels from what I can see, peakwise. There should be a littel more poop on the top end, but that may be due to EFI issues, and not boost. You hit the nail on the head, get a WBO2 meter, and start checking further. Your torque looks to hold right to 5500, so that is par for the course, time to upshift...

Have fun, and don't fly into any canals this winter! I will have to look you up next trip to Utrecht/Amsterdam! Dutch Z-Car enthusiasts that actually do the work on their own cars are definately worth finding...

Thanks everybody for ther reply.

Garrett76zt, the problem is that i still have the r180 and u-joints so a harder launch is probably gonna break it. ps love your ride and the engine :)

Tony d, i didn't get this zxt engine from Frank i sourced it myself aswel as another spare turbo engine. I now Frank and i traded a 260 2+2 for a NA engine and other stuff. I'm thinking about buying an Innovate lc1 to connect to the megasquirt i tought Xander did this?. Hope to meet you some day and show my ride (hopefully with more power).

Alex v, I'm going to upgrade the exhaust to a full 3" stainless system

The other problem for my HP drop could be that my turbo is not so healthy any more, when the engine is hot and your driving and accellerate you hear a squizing and wining noise from the turbo i tink its the compressor toching the compressor house. Could it also be i'm using the wrong weight of oil??

The turbo doesen't smoke, only you can see oil spots on the rear bumper and taillight panels.

Yes, Xander does have a nice WBO2 setup.

Then again, give Xander some assistance, last time I stopped by, he had the rollers for that DIY Dyno in his shop. THAT is a dedicated enthusiast.

Though I suspect with the "new arrival" at home, Xander's Automotive Activities will be somewhat curtailed.

If you are seeing oil spots on your back end, something in the shaft seal area has likely wallowed out, and that usually comes from the shaft oscillating wildly (imbalance) normally because it rubbed the housing.

Pull the piping and check the nose of the compressor wheel for play, both axial and radial. If it's slopping around, it's done.

Was that blue 260 2+2 in Frank's Barn the one you are talking about? Strange, small world, eh?

Hey Rik and no tony he did not get the engine from my place, Rick and I ( and his brother Kay have met several times, did some trades, and talked about hanging out at the tracks some.. but up to now our cars have not been running at the same time haha !

as for Tony MSA ill be over agian .. so get your ass over here for some fun out on the tracks.. also you might want to see ads shell progress!!!

Apparently all dutch guys that have serious ideas seem to have made it here LOL

Hey Xander,

I met you about one year ago @ the Z&ZX meeting at Assen. We talked about some turbo stuff and my engine. It was a short conversation i remember.

@ Tony D, the turbo has some damaged compressor blades. It has got a little shaftplay, only when i'm driving constant at 3000rpm and suddenly accelerate hard it's doesn't make any wining noise. Only at cruising speed and low rpm's. And yes indeed, the blue rustrocket 260z 2+2 was mine. Lovely small world :P

Hi Frank, got your message today. We should visit eachother soon and talk about some stuff. Just get your car(s) running :D

Love to see the Zxr someday.

Frank, I think with a good setup and a lite body you can kick some **s of scoobys evo's and Audi S2 :) look at Garrett76zt and what Thumper did.

I'm also looking to put a type of water methanol injecton on the engine. I do like to take it around a track but there are only a few days in a year the track is open for private cars! And autox is not my type of racing, i like to pay 5 euro and do some 1/4 mile runs and talk about the car.

you and Xander are just afraid of turns haha well xander hates em he thinks he is no good at them so he claims.. in my opinion his car just did not handle up to spec in assen either.. .. Autox you should try .. it is like a track same techniques.. all we need is a big open parking lot... i loved it

Yes, I believe I had a hand in Corrupting Frank with his time in "The Blue Turd"

Which, true to form has been parked in the driveway since MSA, and hasn't moved an inch! It rests all year till it's time to go out and have the living hell beat out of it again! :lol:

And guys worry about "may car sat for three months over winter, what should I check before driving it again?" BAH! Run it, beat it, if we break it, we'll fix it!

Frank should start a tour group for the Z-ZX Club to come to MSA and bring another contingent of "Belgians" to the MSA event again in 2007!

Well like told on the phone, ill be there agian as soon as we know a date ill book a flight, Bruno wanted to come aswel haha .. im planning on putting four decent cars in a container ( cartainer ) well ets see .. MSA presale .. autox 600 z's!!!

Fun with tony and his army of black widows!! IM THERE !!

that would work wonders apart from the fact you need adapters and the eurospec diff is a 3.3 not a 3.5.... and it has a diff cooler witch is not a bad idea to install in the first place

a 3.3 would not be to bad as turbos do like load .. however for drag racing i would ask around here .. I have driven a turbo with a 3.7 one and a late 83 gearbox ( europsec so longer filth gear) but in my opinion ( mostly track time and road driven) the first gear becomes completely useless .. and the second does have load to be effective.. however this is in my book .. i would be interested in measuring 0-60 times with different diffs..as it would be allot more accurate than back in the seat feeling.. well talk tomorrow come buy don't forget the speedo lol ..as you have the pistons there haha ;)