HybridZ

Mazda 4 Rotor Engine Video Clip

RacerX

HAHA, well I'm not really into video games but the one game I used to play was Gran Turismo 3 and I had that car in it, and I must say in the game that car was insane, one of the fastest cars in the game, but then I eventually got a faster car but not by much. I know video games aren't all that realistic but I just thought I would share.

A 3 rotor sounds better then a 4 rotor. A 4 rotor just sounds like a 2 rotor at 2x the rpm, as thats what the layshaft makes it fire like.

My friend built a 3 rotor NA that made 360RWHP from 4K to 8.5K rpm the TQ was flat. He'd rev higher but the engine gets unbalanced after 8.5K, and the HP is still going up. Hes going to put an extra bearing and holder in and rev to at least 9K from the last time we talked.

He also has small pherhipal ports that arent activated yet, and that actually hurts HP because exaust gets mixed in with intake. So he should be near 400WHP on a mustang dyno when he gets it rebuilt and after he gets the extra ports working. Also thats after a freese plug blew up and ran coolant in oil for 40 miles or so. He said the brand new bearings looked like they had 275K miles, and thats when it made 360WHP.

He made his own equal length header and used 3.5in piping header back and 3 borla mufflers. At WOT you coudnt even think if you were in the car. I hear it from 3/8 of a mile away, when he was going WOT around some on/off ramps and it sounded like it was on the street 300 feet from me. Its insane.

A 4 rotor would be cool but 3 rotors can do the job just as easily...

And the one mazda uses probably has mostly aluminum parts that lighten it considerably. But other wise even a 13B is heavy as crap.

~Alex

Edit- This was in an FD BTW not a Z or anything. He was also the first to use the stock subframe if that clues in the guys that are rotary fans into who it is

that is the racing engine. the 20b that would come out of the cosmo is conciderably heavier.

this site says the cosmo 20b is 350kg or 771 pounds fully dressed. it took a friend and myself to lift my STRIPPED 12a, and both of us lift weights and are fairly strong :s this thing didne even have the flywheel or front cover attached.

http://cp_www.tripod.com/rotary/pg20.htm

""the 13b turbo engine is not light by any means. is only weighs 50 pounds less than an ls1, double that with a 4 rotor.""

So a LS1 V8 weighs in at 220lbs????????

Scroll down this website and you'll see the 13B engine weight of 170lbs!!!!!

http://www.atkinsrotarymarine.com/index.php?pag=2

RacerX

you are forgetting that that weight they quoted is for a STRIPPED car. Add manifolds, tubro, and accessories and you have a conciderably heavier engine.