HybridZ

RB Engine Weight??

RacerX

Your looking about 200+ lbs more than the L6 and tranny setup. Around 700-750 lbs engine, accesories and tranny. Don't forget intercooler, etc.. It may be more like 800lbs total.

Bottom line, take a 240z with the L6 and stock tranny, replace with RB26, RB25 RWD tranny and intercooler/etc.. You can expect at least a 250 lb increase.

-Bob

Do you have any real weight difference numbers on that or are you just guesimating? I remember that L28 I pulled out was pretty friggin heavy, both engines are Iron block, aluminum head 6's of very similar dimentions, I really rather doubt that it is 200lbs difference. The RB25 tranny is beefier but I don't think there is that much differnce weight wise.

An L24 might be a bit lighter because it doesn't have any fuel injection stuff on it, but the difference is very little.

With the Rb you have a second cam and a wider head, but the real weight is in the block, both have a simlar block size and weight, any real difference is likely in the larger RB tranny, but I doubt it is 200lbs worth.

Chris

I can say for sure the stock RB26 twin turbo setup, (turbo's, down pipes, manifolds, oil lines, heatshields and rubber hoses), has a shipping weight of 76LBS. So there is an extra bit of weight over the standard L28 on the exhaust side.

DHL dropped off the box for me a few days ago and that was the shipping weight

7e_1.jpg

Yeah, I figured that weight differnce, turbos are heavy. but bob is calculating an intercooler to be 50 extra lbs? I don't think so not even with all the intake plumbing. My point is that I rather doubt it is 200-250lbs difference dressed, much less without turbos etc.

Chris

My weights were from weighing my setup after it was shipped over here via ship. The container had to be weighed accurately - and after I unloaded it all, I weighted the wooden container - arriving at the 700-750 lbs. I don't have the exact figure, but after my house sells and I have some time, I can find the exact number.

The L6 and tranny,(with carbs), has been reliably weighed at around 500 lbs many times, (check forums).

If you do another search you will find that those with the RB26 conversion who have weighed their car find it to be between 2400 and 2700 lbs, ironically about 200-250 lbs more than the base car they started with,(240/260/280z).

So while my figure is not exact, it is an educated/informed "guess".

I realize that most people don't want to believe it is that much heavier, but the reality is - it is. The RB's DOHC, twin turbo's, dual cast iron exhaust manifolds and down pipes, plus all the other associated piping is not insignificant. In addition, the intercooler and oil coolers are in addition to the base L6/tranny weights since they aren't included.

I never stated 50 lbs for the intercooler - but if you think about it, for a big intercooler like J. Soileau's car,(fabb'ed by James - 240zturbo), you are easily talking 30-40 lbs esp. when you consider the piping and connections, etc...

Bottom line - expect about a net 200-250 lb increase over a stock Z.

-Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that pounds were what the british used instead of dollars or Euros. :)

For those outside the US, 1 lb = 0.45359 kg (200Lb = 90.718 kg)

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256F2B00224F55/page/Online+Services-Trade+Measurement-Conversion+Calculator?OpenDocument&1=960-Online+Services~&2=1120-Trade+Measurement~&3=0-Conversion+Calculator~

Thanks for the engine weight info.

Cheers,

Daewoo

Guest Crispy Chicken
I thought that pounds were what the british used instead of dollars or Euros. :)

For those outside the US, 1 lb = 0.45359 kg (200Lb = 90.718 kg)

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256F2B00224F55/page/Online+Services-Trade+Measurement-Conversion+Calculator?OpenDocument&1=960-Online+Services~&2=1120-Trade+Measurement~&3=0-Conversion+Calculator~

Thanks for the engine weight info.

Cheers,

Daewoo

Haha that's funny. I use kilograms for olympic style weight lifting. All my plates and bars are in kilograms. All the meets use it. I'm use to it. lol

Derek

After doing the rb swap in my car the front end sat higher then with L28. I know that because when I put my springs on it was lower in the front then back and when i did the swap it evened it out more. Id say the RB is lighter but not by much.

What???

Not quite correct.

What I think is going on is you have put a heavier engine, and more importantly, heavier transmission, and shifted some weight to the back of the car, loading up your rear springs more. The RB25 and RB26 are most defineately heavier. No question at all.

-Bob