HybridZ

Welded R200 Noisy

Just Jim

I just replaced an open 4.11 R200 with a fresh from Pic A Part 3.70. I welded the spiders on the 3.70 prior to installation. The new rear is really noisy and makes noise under power or not.I was expecting tire squeal and clunking when turning but the noise is more of a whine and high pitched squeal.I'll check the pinion dust seal flange but is this noise normal for a welded unit? Maybe the unit was noisy from the get go coming from the junk yard?

That sounds like the outer pinion bearing is bad to me. When mine was bad I got a speed sensitive whine. The faster you go, the higher pitch it gets. Welding the diff shouldn't affect the noise of the diff at all, it just makes the tires chirp when going around corners.

When welding diffs its important to pre-load the side gear by applying a little bit of torque to the stub axle inputs. Take up the inherent slack before welding and try to deposit similar amounts of filler on each gear.

I tried to weld equal amounts at each weld area to keep the unit somewhat balanced. I did clean the gears well for good weld penetration but didn't preload anything. The welded rear will only get used for testing around the block and drag strip use until a Power Brute LSD is installed in the other 4.11 R200.Welding the rear seems kinda Mickey Mouse to me and doesn't seem like a reliable way to go.

• 3 years later...

Whether low or high speed, the car will push (understeer) a ton, unless you soften up the front bar and add more negative camber in the front. A welded diff can be made to work pretty well, but the suspension needs to be setup for it. Since each car and driving style is different, it'll take some trial and error with sway bars, spring rates, camber settings, shock setting, etc. to get the most of it. Oh, steering will be quite a bit heavier than normal, too. Work out those arms! :)