HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Zerrari GTO - Yes they are 15" Dayton wires. I used 8" front and 10" rear wheels on my car with Dunlop P205R70’s on the front and P225R70’s on the rear. They don't stick out but they sure fill up the wheel wells. The front wheels have a negative offset of about 5.5" and rear wheels have negative offset of 8".

236622_7_full.jpg

Not necesarily the right place to post I know but as this is the GTO thread....I'm now ready to buy a GTO rep - yes I'm based in the UK but I'd be happy to import the right car ;) Looking specifically for door lock (trunk'd would be nice but not essential) converted car, cheers Scott

Zerrari GTO - Yes they are 15" Dayton wires. I used 8" front and 10" rear wheels on my car with Dunlop P205R70’s on the front and P225R70’s on the rear. They don't stick out but they sure fill up the wheel wells. The front wheels have a negative offset of about 5.5" and rear wheels have negative offset of 8".

236622_7_full.jpg

Thank you sir!

I really like the way your wheel/tire combo looks and I'm sure I will go with a similar set-up.

'chelle' - thanks for the info on the inner guards.

I'm in Melbourne for a couple of weeks and noticed this GTO replica coming up for auction in a few days. I might just drop in to see what interest there is from bidders. A standard 6 cyl one sold last year for $32,000AUS - that's about $26-27,000US

http://www.shannons.com.au/pages/auctions/lot.jsp?id=O391PAR7BLNB0R80#

I can't believe this sold for $36K AUS - that's only £15K!!! Oh well, at least I'm finally ready for whatever comes up next now my cobra's sold....

I can't believe this sold for $36K AUS - that's only £15K!!! Oh well, at least I'm finally ready for whatever comes up next now my cobra's sold....

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/current/

Yep, around $29,500US, and it's RHD as well. The auctioneers are not kidding when they say 2000 people were there for only 66 lots - it was incredible. Mostly baby boomers looking to buy cars of their youth and many were merely looking at the GTHO; 'looking' being the operative word. 70s muscle cars were popular but the MGs, Alfas and Mercs drew very little interest. Loved the old helmet, but $900...wow!

There were at least six different bidders for the GTO and I was impressed that it reached the same as the Cobra. It may have been cheap by English standards but that was a top price down here. I didn't really give the Cobra much of a look but it seemed okay to me. I think the real interest in the GTO came from it being a V8.

It had a few interesting features including (apparently) reusing the bonnet (hood) bracing structure from the 240Z, glued to the fibreglass GTO bonnet. That way the builder was able to retain the bonnet locking mechanism and opening support rod.

Got quotes coming in for shipping from US - perhaps I should get some quotes for Oz as well (RHD is a bonus). Really does sound a good deal from these shores anyway - I guess it was the ID kit? Are there any Ozzie web sites I should keep an eye on for potential goats? Cheers

PS Love the 260 2+2 with roo bars on it!

PPS That cobra made all it's money - not particularly nice imho

Smash - 'Shannons' would be the only consistent place in terms of completed cars and they only have one every 18-24 months. In fact I don't have contact with any other GTO owners/builders in Oz but I sure would like to. If any are out there please join HybridZ and send me a private message. I know that Ian from http://www.classicrevival.com.au/ would consider offers for his own car but it's not a V8 - some Toyota powerplant. Here are some photos of the Shannon's car.

'chelle' - can you tell me the horizontal and vertical dimensions of the nose grill opening on your car? IDs and ODs of the dress rim if possible, thanks.

Can someone explain the the term 'goat'? I thought it was just Duke's reference to his own car but it seems to have wider application.

s GTO 07-1_thumb.jpg

s GTO 07-3_thumb.jpg

s GTO 07-4_thumb.jpg

s GTO 07-6_thumb.jpg

s GTO 07-7_thumb.jpg

"goat" was a term that caught on for the Pontiac GTOs. Most Americans at that time in the 60's had little understanding for the initials GTO but knew what 389 cubic inches and a 4 speed coud do in a mid size vehicle. In Oregon "GOAT" was widely used in the early 70s for the Pontiac GTO. Many still have not a clue what a 250 GTO is all about but could probably tell you Carrol Shelby's hat size. In 1966 my buddy had a 66 Pontiac GTO with 4 barrel that would out run his brothers tri power GTO. Interstate 5 was still uncompleted. we were in Wolf Creek Oregon when a white GT 40 with Washington plates tore out of a Shell gas station headed North. We took chase and discovered a woman driver with male passenger inside. We came into the Cow Creek Valley flats doing about 100 mph at 10:00 PM with the GT 40 leaving us until Canyon Mountain. The woman would shift down to third with fire coming out the tailpipes for every curve encountered. I am talking five feet of flame. We laughed all the way down Canyon Mountain and about as close as two cars could get but when the flats of South Umpqua Valley came up..........the white car and occupants were soon gone. We gave up when the GTO's speedometer was buried.

Speedracer, I always have loved the way your rear tires fill out the opening, Ours need to come out about another inch to look that good ..

Boy from Oz,

The grill opening tapers on the inside, at the front edge it's 5.5" high in the middle and 23.75" wide

About an inch and a quarter back it's just 5" tall and 23.1875" wide. I made the grill opening from .060" aluminum.

BTW, I finally got around to uploading this stuff.. here's a few videos of the car running and moving around a parking lot. No burnouts or anything crazy, it's just to show how it sounds and prove it moves under it's own power :)

Please right click and select "save as" because the webserver they are on isn't meant to serve video I know they are larger than they need to be but I'm a server admin, not a multimedia guru

Chelle

http://members.core.com/~blonnde/new/GTO183.MOV

http://members.core.com/~blonnde/new/GTO184.MOV

http://members.core.com/~blonnde/new/GTO185.MOV

'chelle' once again, thanks - your blood is worth bottling (err...I hope that's not a colloquialism and that you're familiar with that phrase, it's a compliment anyway). I'm thinking of modifying my Alpha One nose to more your configuration (your car's, that is) and just assessing what is involved. Interesting point, I had assumed the shape came from Eagle Engineering not wanting to make it too Ferrari'ish but while researching the various original nose shapes and pattens I noticed that 250GTO #3589GT has a very similar shape to the Alpha One. The car belonged to the Victoria High School in Texas from 1964-72 for engineering student to practice on and that's possibly where the car got that nose shape and where the Alpha One got it's pattern or inspiration. Just a guess.

GTO 3589_thumb.jpg

Trouble is right on the money. Great story by the way.

I lifted the term Goat from the nickname for the pontiac GTO. I have a 67 Ram Air III 400 firebird sitting in my garage, owned it forever and a day ...always had a thing for the "wide traks".

I purchased a set of Eagle GT Goodyears 26 inch for the front and 27 inch for the rear ie : P235/60R15 and P255/60R15 The Dayton crosslaces are 8"X15" with the rears offset greatly. The wheels came with my Blue Ray GT Engineering (Rod Simpson) now Stable Works kit Here are my pictures of the mounted wheels and tires( click GTO kit and scroll down to see more of my progress and wheels.. If anyone is interested I can measure the offset http://new.photos.yahoo.com/

I purchased a set of Eagle GT Goodyears 26 inch for the front and 27 inch for the rear ie : P235/60R15 and P255/60R15 The Dayton crosslaces are 8"X15" with the rears offset greatly. The wheels came with my Blue Ray GT Engineering (Rod Simpson) now Stable Works kit Here are my pictures of the mounted wheels and tires( click GTO kit and scroll down to see more of my progress and wheels.. If anyone is interested I can measure the offset http://new.photos.yahoo.com/

I need to have your Yahoo Photo ID to pull up your photos.

Posted this a while back on a different thread. Seems like this is the info that folks are looking for.

Original Ferrari 250 GTO 1962

Front Wheels F 38.1 x 15.2 cm / 15.0 x 6.0 in Borrani

Rear Tires R5/R6 700L x 15 Dunlops

rim 6.0

section 7.3?

dia 26.6?

tread 4.6

Rear wheels R 38.1 x 16.5 cm / 15.0 x 6.5 in Borrani

Rear Tires R5/R6 700L x 15 Dunlops

rim 6.5

section ~7.35?

dia ~29.20?

tread ~4.6?

One option for GTO 280z

Front Tires 205/70VR15

rim range 5.5-7.0

section 6.88

dia 26.30

tread 6.1

Rear Tires 225/70SR15

rim range 6.5-8.0

section 9.33

dia 27.44

tread 7.0

2nd Option for GTO 280z

Front Tires 225/60HR15

rim range 6.0-9.0

section 8.80

dia 25.60

tread 7.3

Rear Tires 235/60VR15

rim range 7.5-9.0

section 9.45

dia 26.34

tread 7.6

Stock 280Z tire reference

Front Tire 195/70-HR - 14

rim range 5.0-7.0

section 7.67

dia 25.16

tread 6.1

Rear tire 195/70-HR - 14

rim range 5.0-7.0

section 7.67

dia 25.16

tread 6.1

I know that Ian from http://www.classicrevival.com.au/ would consider offers for his own car but it's not a V8 - some Toyota powerplant.

Cheers BFO - seems to be a straight 6 turbo soarer donk. I've mailed Ian - waiting to hear back. Just out of interest, have you seen the car recently? From the article on site it looks like it was done in 1999 so wondering whether it's beginning to show it's age.

These front 225/70 R15 and rear 265/70 R15 Avons ; http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/content/en/tyre_specs/ranger.pdf should give 27" and 29" rolling diameters according to this; http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html. Looks and grip are something you will have to figure out.

Speed - Ian and I raced at the same time (30+ years ago) and I renewed my acquaintance with him last year when I started this project. He will be building my fuel cell and doing the wiring so I would prefer to distance myself from any business dealing you two may have. If you have any Pommie mates out here I suggest you liaise with them or there are independent assessors who will undertake a technical inspection and write a report for you (money well spent). I would be happy to send you some links to their sites. Sorry, but I hope you appreciate the conflict of interest I would have. Sometimes it's a bit of a bugger being a ethicist by profession. I'll PM you on this.

BFO - don't worry, was only really after a quick "yes still looks the biz" type thing - wasn't after detail ;)

Not sure how Ian will take an email from a POM - When I was selling my cobra I had a couple of mails from Germany which to be fair I never treated as particularly serious.

Just double checking with DVLA here that I'm not going to get into any SVA wrangles (SVA's a test applied to kit built and radically altered cars and it can be a nightmare) - that could spell the death knell for any importation.

Hi Smash, That is very interesting but I don't know about my car being destined to end up in the UK. I am going to build a new car soon but I think I will hold on to the GTO because it's so different and so much fun to drive.

BTW, there was a used Ferrari dealer in the UK that had a representative photo of each model for sale on the top of the column. He used a picture of my car until I told him it was a replica! MBS Specialty Cars used it to but at least Dave gave me credit. http://mbskc.com/

Thanks!