HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Smash, no need to run off totally, keep us updated! I know quite a few P4 replica owners, beautiful cars, which P4 replica you doing?

Chelle

Actually it's built already, LOL! I wish I could say Norwood but it's a Noble P4 - there are a couple your side of the pond. A few trim bits to do but built and owned by a race team manager - everything, but everything is aeroquiped and seems to have back up systems. I haven't seen one jubilee clip yet, lol! Alledged to have hit 185 at Rockingham Speedway over here *gulp*

• 2 weeks later...

Many of you fellow V/R builders have probably noticed that there is a long span of unsupported fiberglass where the rear tub crosses the back strut towers. I fabbed a brace with 4 levelers that bolts to the rear strut tower brace. The deck is curved so I needed something that would adjust to this shape. I'm sure there are several solutions to this but I wanted to post some pics of what I came up with for reference.

VR_rear_deck_support_001.jpg

Rear deck unsupported.

VR_rear_deck_support_003.jpg

Brace with levelers.

VR_rear_deck_support_008.jpg

Brace bolted on to strut tower brace.

VR_rear_deck_support_006.jpg

Brace with rear tub on body

As everybody knows...these kits are a bit of learning while you go! I hope this helps someone along the way.

Guest espeery27

Hey that looks really nice. Hey do you have a replica style dash there? I am fabbing my own and would be interested in what others have purchased or made.

Hey that looks really nice. Hey do you have a replica style dash there? I am fabbing my own and would be interested in what others have purchased or made.

I bought the Alpha style dash but it will take much work to make it look/fit the way I want it to. After I get the fitment right and put in ac/heat vents, it will be covered in leather or neoprene material (UV, water resistant).

I also used the Alpha 1 GTO dash in my car. I bought it from John Washington (Reaction Research) http://www.reactionresearch.com/automotive.html

The Alpha dash fits 1973 260Z and up to the 1978 280Z vehicles. Nissan made numerous changes between the 240 and 260 Z. Not only did they change some of the dash mounting points but the relocated the steering column lower by about an inch. The biggest change was in the Heating and Ventilation system which was totally revamped. Since the Alpha dash is mounted on the original Datsun steel skeleton I had to do extensive modifications to make it fit my 1971 Z based GTO. I ended up getting a complete 1973 HV system and modified/adapted/manufactured/ the two different systems to make it work.

236622_5_full.jpg

You might want to look at the GTO dash that Jim Simpson made. It's all fiberglass and I think it fits all 1970 - 1978 Z cars. OM Motorsports sells it now. http://www.omsportscars.com/main-en.html

int_pass_side.jpg

I also used the Alpha 1 GTO dash in my car. I bought it from John Washington (Reaction Research) http://www.reactionresearch.com/automotive.html

I got mine from John too. Mine has a bad warp in the center that will have to be cut-out and patched: then I'll have it covered. I am going with a Vintage Air set-up (the origional 280 system was shot). I've seen some cool retro looking vents in the new Mustangs, Audis and a few other makes that I'm going to try...nothing about this project is simple!

While Chelle, that is way cool. You have to have the most published car around. You gotta be proud. It mentions about the velocity stacks, are you looking into that guy from Carlisle's weber look alikes? Did he have a web site?

Again, nice job, great car.

Staledale

While Chelle, that is way cool. You have to have the most published car around. You gotta be proud. It mentions about the velocity stacks, are you looking into that guy from Carlisle's weber look alikes? Did he have a web site?

Again, nice job, great car.

Staledale

Thanx Dale!

scary huh? lol... it was pretty flattering to have that site ask if we would be willing to help them by letting them take pics.. :) we JUMPED on the chance..

Not using the Carlisle stuff on this car, but we are going to use their fake webers on our Lamborghini - hoping that those will help with throttle response and get it through emissions.

Their website is

http://www.dynatekracing.com/fuelinjection.htm

For the GTO we're using an intake made by the BMW Guru Henry .. :)

Will try and find my pic of his setup

Chelle

I am building a VR with all kinds of structural mods to make up for the unibody distruction and the thrashing it's gonna get when she's driven.

460hp sbc

Hilborn fuel injection

T-56

AZC full race suspension and brakes

Disposable seat covers, the works

Welcome Z8 builder!

We would all love to see pics!!!

Have you driven the car with the AZC suspension? impressions?

I look forward to seeing and hearing more!

Chelle

chelle - I was interested in the comments in your article (well done) about brakes and 15" wheels. I am just soooo close to placing an order with Dave at Arizona Z as I believe his set up will fit under the 15" Daytons. Have you considered Dave's set up?

I have exchanged e-mails with him and with Dayton and researched and researched (i.e procastinated) brake options and I had convinced myself they will fit.

Dayton have a template on their web site to assist with wheel selection and the measurements I came up with are:

1 front spacing f 110 r 180

2 rear spacing f 125 r 130

3 caliper clearance f 12 r 12

4 caliper height f 170 r 170

5 hub diameter f 80 r 70

6 hub height f 100 r 100

7 hub clearance f 65 r 70

These are a combination of measurements Dave offered and I measured off my car. Don't under any circumstance take them as absolutely accurate.

Regarding the parking brake - I had intended to also mount a Wilwood parking brake seperate to the main rear caliper, as per the attached photo, by machining my own mounting bracket. Unfortunately I now believe that Wilwood have stopped manufacturing the stand-alone parking brake in favour of their integrated parking brake/floating caliper, which by the way will not fit under 15" rims. I have sent several e-mails to Wilwood over the pass few weeks to seek information on availability of the stand-alone parking brake but they have failed to respond!

If you have any information on the unsuitability or otherwise of the Arizona Z setup I would very much appreciate your input.

wilwood parking fit_thumb.JPG

Guest 250 GTO

I have the rhino gt and removed the hatch and made a trunk out of aluminum. I wanted to have the front clip and hood made of aluminum as well. Any thoughts of where I may get one . As for the question on how many are out there I spoke with Jim Simpson about a month ago. I believe he said he built and completed 62 of the rhino gt's .

Also sorry for posting twice but I thought that anyone in the Western New York area might need to know about this company before they get screwed as well.