HybridZ

Maintenance parts availability for a RB25/26 or SR20DET

DrEaM

ok so i've been debating on whether or not i'm going to do an sr20 swap rb25/26 swap or if i'll just go ahead and do an l28 swap.... my biggest problem right now is that i don't know whether or not any of these swaps would be worth it in the long run... so what i'm trying to say is that i don't know how easy it would be to get parts (normal stuff) like belts alternators water pumps spark plug wires exectra.. because i'm looking for something that i COULD drive everyday not that i would but i would like to know that i COULD you know with a/c a stereo and so forth but yeah i just want to get some advice from the guys that have done it b4 and know what the deal is

I dont really want to discuss much about this, since it had been discussed many times on here. So RB motor are pretty reliable, source parts for it as a bit hard but you can get them from variety of places same goes for the sr20. L28 motor, il keep in silience, just take a deep guess and for everything eles :search: use diffrent key words and you will find it:2thumbs:

Ok a lot of people will say they dont want to talk about it because they have before. I understand that but I also understand what its like to be at the point to decide about what swap. Ok to start of with I did a RB25 swap. Be ready to spend $10,000 to be driving her around safely. You need to be good at fabricating because of making your own mounts and other modifications that you need to do (youll find out if you do the swap). CHANGE EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU PUT IT IN THE CAR! i regret not doing this because my water pump shattered and threw the fan into my radiator. So there was a good $100 in damage. I would not suggest buying from Venus Auto, I got a motor with a cut wiring harness. The easiest swap would be a l28et, and Ive heard they are fun to build and you can get a good amount of power out of them too. I have seen sr20 cars in the low 9 second 1/4 times but ofcourse thats a lot of money in it haha. I chose the RB25 because its such a good start for a beast of a motor. J. Taylor has taken his to 600hp before the stock internals started failing. ( Thanks J. for finding out when the internals go for the rest of us RB guys!!) If you have no problem making money and your into RB's, get a rb26dett half cut, youll get parts you dont need but in the long run YOU CAN SELL THEM!!! this is another mistake i made with buying a motor set, i was lucky that it ran good but if you get a half cut you can run it in the car before you pull it. Basically the market for RB motors is very big in japan you just have to be willing to pay for shipping if you end up building your motor, but basic mods like turbo intake stuff like that can be found in the U.S. Parts like alternator and water pumps stuff like that are hard to come by you just have to know the right places. I picked the RB because I love how you can build the hell out of them and they have been known to be reliable. (knock on wood) Plus i liked the idea of a strait six turbo. Im mostly a traditionalist and I dont want to take z car name away from the car by going with something other then nissan. Im not hating on the v8 guys I think its cool but its just my opinion. So I hope this info helps you out and be ready for lots and lots of work in the shop, i pretty much lived in mine haha and ofcourse the yelling of your girlfriend wondering when your gonna hang out with her lol, but other then that i love my Z and i cant wait to get to the mods.

I think it really just comes down to what you think is best.Ive never had much to do with the l28 but a lot of guys on here are making awsome power out of them and i guess you cant argue with that.The rb25/26 is a newer cleaner motor and I think will ultimatly have more power potential if you are looking to do a lot of mods and also excellent power can be had with minor mods.The rb20 is a good motor but i dont think its worth going to the effort of doing the install for the power they produce.My 240 had a rb20 in it before i changed over to the rb30(best thing i ever did).As for the sr20 ive never messed with them myself but a friend of mine has a stock internal sr20 (gt35r turbo etc) in a 69 toyota corolla (sprinter in us??) and he is making 405 rwhp.So really,they are all good motors its just a personal preferance thing as to which way you go.

thanks for the help guys i'm sorry i didn't reply earlier to your responses but i have this evil ass internet :twisted: that sparatically works when it wants to!!! it pisses me off.. anyways the whole reason i decided to do the swap into my car was because i was reading about this guys who was thinking about doing the same think "I READ IT IN THE SPORT COMPACT CAR DECEMBER ISSUE" it has an nsx and some other cars on the front.. the editor at sport compact basically dogs the old z's then compliments them by saying they are sexy and some other stuff. BUT he was like there is no reason not to put in one of the rb motors because of the ease of the install and the sound would match the car.. you guys have to check out rob fullers rb powered z thats reason enough to do the swap.. i'm in the military so i basically don't have any extra money at all except for the money i'm saving and i don't beleive in spending money twice... i want to do it right the first time around..and that i only made like 13,000 dollars last year so yeah thats the real reason:icon55:.. anyways i just want to do the right swap the first time... and the l28 is getting harder and harder to get parts for so i figured it might not be such a bad idea for the rb25 since i guess so many people have been posting on this sight about the same topic i will def look around but i would appreciate more feedback and advice from you guys that have done it b4

Yea its a really nice car. But its not quite as drop in and drive as they make it out to be.

Just do a really through search on turbo l28's and more displacement, and RB swaps.

The l28ET is a drop in and drive swap as it came from the factory. But if you want ultimate power and DOHC then the RB is a great path too.

~Alex

A lot of the maintance Items you can cross reference from engines that are available in the U.S. For instance I'm using an oil filter for a KA24 on the RB, it is the same, size etc and screws right on just fine. The alternator belt is the same that is used on the SR20 engines, it uses a Z32 normally asperated 300zx Clutch, and has the same injectors as the Z32 turbo, you just need to cross reference parts to find consumables that work. Stuff like the timing belt, etc are available, I didn't have any trouble at all sourcing them. It's really not that hard at all, it's not like trying to find parts for say a 40 year old Maserati or something. You basically have a relatively modern engine that shares a bunch of parts (the ones you are looking for that normally get replaced regularly) with Nissan engines that DID come here, you just need to look.

Chris Rummel

A lot of the maintance Items you can cross reference from engines that are available in the U.S. For instance I'm using an oil filter for a KA24 on the RB, it is the same, size etc and screws right on just fine. The alternator belt is the same that is used on the SR20 engines, it uses a Z32 normally asperated 300zx Clutch, and has the same injectors as the Z32 turbo, you just need to cross reference parts to find consumables that work. Stuff like the timing belt, etc are available, I didn't have any trouble at all sourcing them. It's really not that hard at all, it's not like trying to find parts for say a 40 year old Maserati or something. You basically have a relatively modern engine that shares a bunch of parts (the ones you are looking for that normally get replaced regularly) with Nissan engines that DID come here, you just need to look.

Chris Rummel

wow you basically just answered the question that i really should have asked "what parts are interchangeable" thats cool as hell knowing i can use parts from those cars.. i mean it makes sense!! i don't think nissan could afford to have totally original parts on all their motors