HybridZ

Oil filter test results

Guest zfan

I have searched high and low and cannot find the story on oil filter comparisons/ results. Someon posted the study a few years back and now for the life of me I cannot find it.

Does anyone still have that test/study? I have a friend who really wants to read up on it as he doesn't believe what I said about good old crappy fram filters!

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks I have that one already but it seemed there was one that Grumpy or maybe Mike Kelly posted a few years back that was really good. Not that this one isn't just maybe not the same. Thank you though.

Mike

I have searched high and low and cannot find the story on oil filter comparisons/ results. Someon posted the study a few years back and now for the life of me I cannot find it.

Does anyone still have that test/study? I have a friend who really wants to read up on it as he doesn't believe what I said about good old crappy fram filters!

Thanks,

Mike

Mike , I work for WIX filters and have filter comparisons of WIX , AC Delco , Fram and some others. If you would like to see the test results let me know and I will send it to you. Jerry

Mike , I work for WIX filters and have filter comparisons of WIX , AC Delco , Fram and some others. If you would like to see the test results let me know and I will send it to you. Jerry

If the offer is open to others, I'd be interested in seeing them.:icon7:

I recently put the Wix eqivalent of a Fram PH-8 (Wix 51515???) on my wife's old Chrysler; for the first few days we thought we had found filter heaven: the oil pressure came up immediately each time the engine was fired.

Sadly, after about a week everything went back to normal.:?

Does the anti drain back valve not deal well with higher pressures? IIRC something looked like orange silicone, but I really wasn't paying a lot of attention.

<>

I think that Fram is bottom of the totem pole, the lower end Napa filters suck too don't they?

Tell us Jerry the real story. I know wix is good, I use them and have cut them apart. Fram is cheapo junk worthy of nothing mightier than a 3hp briggs and stratton.

Dr Hunt, I agree with you. I will be getting intouch with our Tech Service Manager in the mourning to find out what all I can post. Because Big Brother might be watching. I am hopeful to be able to post this info. Jerry

If the offer is open to others, I'd be interested in seeing them.:icon7:

I recently put the Wix eqivalent of a Fram PH-8 (Wix 51515???) on my wife's old Chrysler; for the first few days we thought we had found filter heaven: the oil pressure came up immediately each time the engine was fired.

Sadly, after about a week everything went back to normal.:?

Does the anti drain back valve not deal well with higher pressures? IIRC something looked like orange silicone, but I really wasn't paying a lot of attention.

<>

In the WIX filters we use a (orange) silicone Anti-drainback valve, it stays flexible in extreme tempertures,improves oil flow and keeps oil in the filter to prevent dry start ups. Competitive filters use (black) nitrile anti-drainback valves that get hard and brittle and let oil leakback into the engine or oil pan. I am hopeful to be able to give you more info tomorrow on these filters, after talking with my Tech service Dept. Jerry

In the WIX filters we use a (orange) silicone Anti-drainback valve, it stays flexible in extreme tempertures,improves oil flow and keeps oil in the filter to prevent dry start ups. Competitive filters use (black) nitrile anti-drainback valves that get hard and brittle and let oil leakback into the engine or oil pan. I am hopeful to be able to give you more info tomorrow on these filters, after talking with my Tech service Dept. Jerry

I've used Fram filters (not saying I like endorse them but they are easy to get and used in the minivan) and Motorcraft and both had an orange looking anti-drainback valve.

Cameron

I've used Fram filters (not saying I like endorse them but they are easy to get and used in the minivan) and Motorcraft and both had an orange looking anti-drainback valve.

Cameron

Yeah, the Tough Guard has the silicone anti drain back valve.

This is the "study" posted previously on this site

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html

Both studies do the same type of unsubstantiated "this looks better than that" testing of oil filters. Both hate the low buck standard Fram oil filters but like the Fram Tough Guard filters. None of these studies ever measure how well the filters actually filter the oil.

Actually the thing that got me to spend the extra 2 or 3 dollars for the Tough Guard filters was some guy who had one of the entry model disintegrate and pump pieces of filter element all through his engine.