HybridZ

Best Runs So Far

Update on the monster motor in my 240Z...Changed over from 1050 Dominator/World Products single plane intake to MassFlo fuel injection running 42 lb injectors. Also went to a built powerglide vice 4L80E. Drove it 53 miles yesterday, then drove to the track last night, let the air out of the tires to 13.5 lbs and proceeded to run a bunch of 6.7's. I was pretty happy with that, but I believe there is more in the car after some more tuning. Ran about 16/17 runs....9 of them back-to-back to prove it is a streetable combo for the naysayers that were at the track...stayed right at 180 degrees the whole time. Bill Mitchell builds a heck of a motor!!! Aired the tires back up and headed 13 miles back to the house. Last test and tune of the year for this track, so will have to wait until Jan to test out the tuning. YeeeeeHaaaaaawwwww.

Wayne

Hey, olie05,

Glad you are watching out for me....b-u-t....if you had read a little farther down and looked at my signature, you would have noticed that my time is 1/8th mile...the same time is posted there. I don't believe I've ever heard of a streetable car running in the 6's in the 1/4. Still nice to know someone is reading this stuff, eh

Congrats Wayne,

Looking forward to seeing it again in March. Since your local track is shutdown have you considered taking the car to a Dyno. We found 60 HP in as little as 20 minutes. Might be worth a trip, do some more tweaks and see, Can't go wrong....... Anyway Congrats....

John

That's one of the many things I like about this site and the folks who frequent it...always super support and valid info/advice and I sure appreciate...let me try to answer some of the posts/questions:

Paz8 - Thanks...street manors are great...loud, obnoxious, but great! Of course, it is built for straight-line stuff, so it doesn't pull G's sideways (and I hope I don't find out... :o) rides kinda stiff. I would trust it to drive pretty much anywhere at this point, however, after 30 miles or so, it is a relief to shut it off...side pipes come out next to my ears, but I love the sound. 3" id mufflers are pretty hard to keep reasonably quiet with short pipe runs. And yes, it is very hard to keep my foot out of it! Been known to shift to neutral and cruise past the local constabulary.

Hey Mike...long time no see...I think I read a few posts where you had made some serious progress on the vette and the Z...congrats. I will try to get some video...I don't have a camera, but know some friends who do...stand by for some at a later date.

John S - I appreciate the kudo's...old times were 7.27/103 and change...we all kinda figured there was more to be had just by the mph...knew it was making the power. Didn't do what I expected though...thought I would be down in the 6.4's with the changes...especially with the PG. I believe it has the potential after some tuning of the FI. Which brings me to:

My friends at JNJ- Hey John....great minds think alike :o) My intent exactly, especially with the FI system. I am using a Ford ECU with off-the-shelf Ford sending units with the exception of the MAF...it is an 85mm Vette item. I run a signal conditioner between it and the ECU as the two signals aren't compatible without the conditioner. Panhandle Performance does some serious Ford work down in Panama City FL for a buddy of mine who specializes in centrifugal blown Mustangs. From what I've seen, he does a super job with the Ford stuff and has an in-house dyno. Will do that before the year is out, hopefully. Thanks for the kudo's..and some right back to you, although I was hoping to see the new times on your hot rod...:o)

Wayne

Hey, Scottie...many thanks for the kudo's...yes, that thing is so heavy I had to lift it with my engine crane. Great for cruising with the 4.11 rear gears, but I am not going spend as much time cruising as I thought. Can't compete with the simplicity and shifting speed of the PG I put in (also has a trans brake that I haven't used yet) even when I had the trans controller set on kill. I will either sell the whole system or save it to put behind a 632 cu in street motor that I am dreaming about putting in a hot rod truck that may come after I get my other projects done....H-m--m-m-m, let's see, that should be about the time I turn 82 or so...:o)

Wayne

Hello Wayne,

Well my blower is still in California. They were able to fix the rotor shaft, they used an oversized one and were able to fix it. Since they have it I am having them do a couple more tricks to it. Should be back in a couple of weeks I hope. Thanks for asking........

I guess we will see in March if not before if it makes any difference or not. I will probably go visit the Dyno when I get back. Good luck on your Dyno tuning.

John

Hey Turbomeister, I'm famous for screwing things up and having to revamp....I should have put the PG in the first time but thought I would be doing a lot more cruising than I am. Once I felt the power of this combo, I just wanted more and I didn't have the right combination. The 1050 actually made a bit more power, but the driveablility of the FI is superb and with some tuning, I believe I can get back to where I was (dyno'd at 610hp at the flywheel). I'm using an FI system from an outfit called MassFlo. I hate to admit this in public, but the ECU and sending units are from a 93 mustang, however the MAF unit is an 85mm unit from GM with a signal conditioner to make it work with the Ford EEC IV. Works great...startup is instantaneous and idle is fantastic even with the big cam. By the way, I've been admiring your engine for a long time...I'm 85% complete with a Toyota 4.7 custom built with forged SBC H-beams, Ross piston/Ring package, hardwelded/reground cams for boosted apps....I am going supercharged, turbo charged, nitroused and alcohol injected. Turbo is an STS system that installs where the muffler used to be and the supercharger is a TRD unit. I believe I can run them both pretty easy and come out with some good power as well as good bottom end. I'm looking for some fun...:o) Too many projects.....

Wayne

Hey Turbomeister, I'm famous for screwing things up and having to revamp....

Wayne

I don't think you can claim the title for that one among this crowd yet, Wayne...I am definitely feeling you on that subject.

That's some good progress on your super-unique setup. FI is where it's at! Keep the reports coming.