HybridZ

Someone Hug Me..I'm Gonna Cry! Dropped a Dowel into Engine!

slownrusty

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have You Tried Compressed Air In The Valve Cover Opening With The Drain Plug Out? Seal Around The Valve Cover Opening As Best You Can . Seal The Dipstick Hole And The Valve Cover Breaher Hole.some Dowels Are Brass And The Magnet Idea Might Not Work. The Air Idea Might Now Work Eather But What The Hay !

Well Rusty, here is one hug and one patt on the back from Homeland.

I've seen a nice magnet at your trustworthy CanadianTire, it's like a pen magnet but, instead of being a flimsy antenna thingy, it's like a thick copper wire that you can bend the way you want it. You could bend it and send it in the pan or trough the top of the chain cover.

You can probabaly find something simillar at autozone

Well guys thnaks for all your great support and sharing your own stories and pain, I don't feel like such a huge loser (just a small one)....well guess what?

I took the oil pan off and the dowel was not there, so it evidently stuck in the front cover!

I tried compressed air, I tired flushing with oil, I tired walking with a magnet on the oil pan towards the drain hole - nada, nischt, zero, zip, zilch!

Sooooo......I am going to remove the entire engine by Friday out of the car and I have decided to rebuild the entire engine with Forged Internals and build it to take 400+whp all due to a falling dowel!

Call it Karma...my brother tells me I was flirting with time before my stock bottom end would have let go (had almost 150,000 miles on it).

Pretty crazy...maybe happened for a reason...who knows. I'm comitted now. Still can't believe it.

Another 2months added to my project.

Yasin

So just admit it then... you subconsciously dropped that dowel so you'd have the excuse to rebuild:wink: In that light, there will be NO hugs from me, pal. However, a congratulatory pat on the back is in order once you finally finish what you started and do it they way you REALLY want it done. Fair enough?:burnout:

• 3 weeks later...
First time I helped my buddy on his 240Z L28 w/ triples changing the cam and he dropped a stainless steel bolt down the front cover. Stainless equals no magnet DAMN IT so front cover came off.

One other time on the same car we adjusted his cam timing and he dropped the cam bolt washer down in the front cover. We tried all my magnets and nothing. Last attempt he had it unbeknownst to him and as he was pulling it out it fell off the magnet and into the pan. So we hooked the cherry picker up, loosened the mounts jacked the motor up and pulled the pan. Reinstalling the pan the pan slide right in and then it hit us. You can't remove a L24E with the engine mounted but the L28E you can doahhhhh the motor didn’t have to be jacked up….

Anyways we all feel your pain man…

What you failed to tell them was that in both cases we were working well past the 20hr maximum, and that I spit out explitives that would make a sailor cry.

That sucks man.

Id hug you, I would, but if I do, Ill just snake my hand into your pocket and try to steal your wallet and neither of us want that. Really.

Somethin along those lines.. A little bit ago I was helping to wetsand a new Impala at school as a favor to the guys workin on it, just to get it done.. Wasnt paying attention, we were shooting the ♥♥♥♥, goofin off, Im sanding and chatting.. I look down at what I'm doing and turns out I picked up a little rock or peice of grit.. Door and front fender were wrecked, right through the clear into the paint.. I thought they were gonna kill me. Had to stop everything and I had to repaint the panels, I was soo pissed.

This is a little late now but for anyone else in the future it may help. Napa sells an extendable magnet (antenna type) that has a quick disconect on the magnet end that allows you to put different attachments on it. One of the attachments that comes with it is a magnet that has an LED light in it so you can actualy see where the magnet is pointed. This thing cost about $10 but is worth every penny in my opinion. It is similar to this one but not quite as fancy http://www.kentool.com/CARICA/lightedpickup.shtml.

Dragonfly

As long as you've decided to rebuild with all new internals, throw it back together and beat it till it blows up! Seriously, a friend of mine fragged a lifter in his big block chevy- 68 Firebird, we were so disgusted, we put a big magnet on the oil pan, replaced the lifter, and he's been beating the thing for over a year! We figure the rotating assembly on a BBC is so massive it will just pulverize anything that gets in it's way. Plus catostrophic engine failures are cool...

How true. I got REAL bent when I popped my motor. We all have to have fun at other people's expense. Just trying to make light of a sucky situation. I feel your pain. I made a home made timing chain wedge, wasn't paying attention, chatting with someone, bumped the cam gear with my elbow and the tensioner and spring ended up in the oil pan. My mood wasn't so great then. I understand, just a failed attempt at humor.