HybridZ

295-50-16's !

I needed new rear tires and previously the widest 16" street tire I was able to find was a 255-50-16. (26" tall and 9.8 wide) I have run 305-40-16 M&H drag tires before on the car, but I wanted a wider street tire. I found some 295-50-16 BFG radial TA tires. Unfortunately they are 27.6" tall, but they have 11.5" of tread. After taking some measurements, I got them. Here are a few pictures of the car with these monsters on it. Fortunately the car is very stiff in the rear... I've driven over a number of rough roads and railroad tracks, and no rubbing yet :-) I'm sure it isn't missing by much, but so far so good. The fronts are 215-50-16's and they are the tallest tire I can put on the front of the car because of the spacers and offset of the f-body wheels, the tires just barely clear the front of the wheel well on turns.

Jody

clearance.jpg

driv-side.jpg

pass-side.jpg

driv-side-2.jpg

rear.jpg

No they are not BUG flares. They are fiberglass flares from a company called MAS Racing Products. 2288 University Ave St. Paul MN 55114 651-644-6811

Don't bother looking for a web site, they don't have one. As a matter of fact, last year they sent me a catalog that was printed in 1984 (that is NO TYPO). Even more unbelievable, they had a bunch of parts that they were still selling at 1984 prices, including these flares! I bought flares for the front also and never installed them. I liked the way the car looked with just the rears flared. ( someone want to buy some front flares? )

With the 255-50-16's the car sat almost level, front to back. These tires really did give it quite a rake.

Jody

665426X12.00R15LT268.0-10.010.012.010.626.1 sportsman_sr_rear.jpg

I was going to run a set on some 15X10 diamond race wheels , has anybody ran these? I have 16X9.5 rear rims , I was going to run the victoracer 265/45/16 's for auto-x and track days ,to and from the events.Then for the street buy some diamond race wheels with these tires. 26 diameter is what I wanted to stay around...

They look tuff and match the flares perfect. Is your gearing in a good spot?

They look tuff and match the flares perfect. Is your gearing in a good spot?
I am running the R230 3.69 gears and with the torque this motor has, it's more than fine.

I wish I knew (z-car rookie mistake) the rear opening was not centered to the wheel positioning when I put the flares on. At some point I may modify the front of the wheel well to give the wheels a more centered appearance.

No they are not BUG flares. They are fiberglass flares from a company called MAS Racing Products. 2288 University Ave St. Paul MN 55114 651-644-6811

Don't bother looking for a web site, they don't have one. As a matter of fact, last year they sent me a catalog that was printed in 1984 (that is NO TYPO). Even more unbelievable, they had a bunch of parts that they were still selling at 1984 prices, including these flares! I bought flares for the front also and never installed them. I liked the way the car looked with just the rears flared. ( someone want to buy some front flares? )

With the 255-50-16's the car sat almost level, front to back. These tires really did give it quite a rake.

Jody

I assume they are still in bus.? I'm gonna have to look them up. Any zx stuff :)

The catalog is at home, I'll look tonight and scan the page in and post it.

Wait until you see the 1984 catalog.... it's a hoot!

The flares will take a little work to get on, but no more than any other ones out there.... you can't beat the price!

Jody

I looked at the catalog tonight and they don't have pictures of any the actual fender flares for the Z's. They do have 2 types listed. I believe the ones I got were the Type II's. The type III's are the IMSA style flares.

The wheels I have are the stock 4th gen F-body wheels and they are 8 1/2" wide. As far as the fronts, I put 255-50-16's on the car and they fit under the flare with the front flares mocked up (taped on), but because I have such a large offset on the wheels and I use billet adaptors, as soon as I turn the steering wheel, the tires would hit the front part of the fender. That is one of the reasons I did not install the front flares. I ended up with 215-50-16's on the front and they don't clear by much when I turn the steering wheel. My set-up is different than any other wheel/brake combination that I have ever seen. I think that with the right set-up you could get a big tire under the front.

Mock up the flares and a set of wheels and tires and see what you can fit under your fender. Personally I wouldn't order wheels and tires first.