HybridZ

Should a Genuine Scarab Be Changed??

Guest Mike

Horse crap... We changed Jim McNemar's Scarab big time... If you have the funds and want to make the car yours and then lay your mark on it, I say DO IT. Otherwise, let someone else get it and do what they will with it... Bottom line is the original scarabs weren't all that "collectable" and certainly weren't all that balanced... We threw lots of those "scarab" parts in the garbage or sold them...

Mike

ALL: Hey guys... his car isn't a Scarab after all. However, this is an interesting question none-the-less.

cygnusx1: THe difference between a factory Z and a Scarab is rarity. Yes, Scarabs are molested but so are certain very valuable Mustangs, 289/427 Cobras, Camaros, Sunbeams, etc.:wink:

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

I think this guy has a genuine Scarab and he wants to swap motors. Won't that affect the value of his car??

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116614

How many of us would REALLY get out of our V8Z that we put into them (as far as the dollar amount goes)? I know I certainly wouldn't. I say go with whatever kit suits your wants/ needs and budget.

Gang, Seriously, Do some research. A correct and good condition scarab will NOT sell for a large sum, any quicker than a non-correct JTR. And in many cases, after driving the two, a buyer may well select the JTR car over the Scarab. More people convert them than keep them as produced, and the ONLY reason they are well known is that they were the first aftermarket produced V8 conversion.

I went through this a while back with another guy, and after he did his research, he found this to indeed be the truth. They aren't worth any more, or any less than any other well executed V8 Zcar.

Mikelly

Okay guys... I guess I'm proven wrong (for now). But mark my words, folks. These will one day increase in value due to the few that remain "original". Think about all those aftermarket modifed cars that bring $#!T-loads of money these days. I admit that it may never happen but if I had one, I'd keep it as produced and do what I could to increase performance with what's there. I'd at least keep all the Scarab parts and avoid extensive mods that are difficult to undo. But again, this is just my opinion.

Hi Mike... Yes, I understand your reasoning. My only point is that the Scarab modified cars are rarer than factory cars. If any of the old S30 Z-cars are going to become collectible, it'll be Scarabs, factory special editions, and "maybe" some of the well-documented aftermarket modified kit cars installed by the maker like Eagle Engineering, etc.