HybridZ

new bike R1 or sv1000?

hoov100

its time for me to get off my as$ and get a newer bike, my old bike was a kawasaki zx600, wich has been a good bike, but its age is getting the best of it, so now i have $5k sitting in my lap to get a newer bike, i was looking at a yzf R1 or possibly a sv1000s there's propably not to many people on here that ride, just need some opinions, i rode a sv1000s once and it had more top end then the 4 cyl bikes, but the R1 handles better at high speeds. (proved it on a TRACK) but just need some help..(also: been riding heavy bikes for about 5 years now..)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an R1 and honestly I somewhat wish that I had gotten another VFR or an FZ1 instead of the R1. I felt alot more comfortable on my VFR than I do on the R1, it was easier to go fast on it.

Liter bikes are really entirely too fast, if I can go double any (non-highway) legal speed limit in first gear, what do I do with the other 5? (I've seen 97mph before shifting, and still had a couple hundred rpm until redline.)

I have an R1 and honestly I somewhat wish that I had gotten another VFR or an FZ1 instead of the R1. I felt alot more comfortable on my VFR than I do on the R1, it was easier to go fast on it.

Liter bikes are really entirely too fast, if I can go double any (non-highway) legal speed limit in first gear, what do I do with the other 5? (I've seen 97mph before shifting, and still had a couple hundred rpm until redline.)

he's got a point.

I love the new cbr1000's, and liter bikes are very tempting...BUT....

I know that I CANNOT ride a 1000cc bike at or near its limits. I dont think there are many people who can. I personally thought very hard about going to a 1000 but becided that until i can ride every once out of my 600 I wont change, Its just foolish.

I have a 2003 Cbr600rr I ride every day, its my daily driver now even in the winter and I love it! Im a honda man (motorcycles) , they are so smooth and well built. R6 & R1 I havent heard to many good things about from my friends, lots of problems; electrical, oil starvation, rattles etc.

If i was buying a bike for 5K I would be looking at 03-04 cbr6000rr's or 2004+ gsx-r 600's

Get a R1. I've had 2 and i wouldn't buy any other bike (i've ridden every brand, and i've had a honda 250, a 600, and 2 yamaha R1's). $5000 will only get you a 98-01, because the 02+ were a whole new style and most people ask 6000+ for them since they have fuel injection and look different. I had a 98 R1 and it was great no complaints, and my next one was a 03 R1 as u can see in my avatar pic. It has alot smoother response and still has all that power everywhere in the powerband. The 04-06 have alot less bottom end, but there top end makes up for it with the extreme pull in the higher rpms. the 05 gsx are faster than the R1, but they look ugly and have tendency's to break, the R1 is almost indestructable, you can redline those things all day and run like new the next. And you don't need anymore power than any year R1 has on the street because like someone said, you can get 80+ mph in 1st gear easy. But i Love it... Motorcycles are my first passion, and you won't be sorry if you got a R1, any year. They aren't uncomfortable if your in shape, i mean there not cruisers, but they are great for city and canyons and track because they handle so well...lol sorry for the long post but going on a ride on a R1 is somthing else, power at ur fingertips and handling like no other and they look sexy as #^^&

I love the silver and black, my buddy has one of those. I actually bought my rr from him and he bought his brothers r1. He wants to get rid of it for a new 1000rr, says he misses the smoothness of a honda but love the power of the r1 :)

here is my baby, i love the way it pulls above 10K :):

240sx_003.sized.jpg

yea that zx is alittle awkward. I'm mean it's fast, but the r1's and 1000's are alot better for throwin into turns, and they have more than enough power to do clutch wheelie's going 100, not that i'd ever try that. But really for a streetbike, you don't need anything bigger than 1000 because I got 3 speeding tickets in 2 months and had to stop riding for awhile because i was so afraid of getting pulled over for going 5 over. One thing i can tell you is just like parents don't like us on motorcycles, the cops hate them just as much...lol

Guest Crispy Chicken

I like my 02-03 r1's... I've had every single bike out there. Right now I have 3 r1's two 02's and a 05. Just sold a 05 zx10r and some other random bikes. It's all personal preference. After riding and owning just about every single bike made. I decided my 02 was my favorite, the way it rides, handles and looks. So I put a lot of work in it and decided. I'll keep it to the day I die. All the hardcore sport bike enthusiast I know. Wont touch anything other than a in-line 4 Honda, Kawi, Yamaha, Suzuki, "the big four." Everything else can't touch the price and performance. No matter what you go with. I highly recommend riding every bike you like, then decide. I would get a 1000 no matter what though.

If your like me after your first couple days with a new 600. You'll be trying to figure out how to make it quicker. My frist bike was a 00 zx6r than a 99 r1 then a 02 r1. The 600 sat for awhile.. When I went to ride it.. I honesty thought it was broke... But.. It was just the difference in power... After My frist week with the r1. I wanted more power. haha...

Right now my one 02 is around 165-170 at the wheel. With the light as hell PVM race rims and all the other crap. I have in it , it's the quickest na bike I've owned. It's still not enough, I figure another 40-50 hp and I'll be done.. It never ends!!!!!!

VkZkescFRdgaT+Aifdj79msgfGPeilEg0300.jpg

dTMOPZDx+u9xwFGyw7DQR6ZnTBxH4Zzf0258.jpg

Guest Crispy Chicken
i rode a sv1000s once and it had more top end then the 4 cyl bikes, but the R1 handles better at high speeds. (proved it on a TRACK) but just need some help..(also: been riding heavy bikes for about 5 years now..)

Oh, As far as a stock sv1000 being at all quicker than any new 600-1000. It must have had a WHOLE lot of work done, or maybe a turbo charger. Those pigs weigh like 450 wet and put down 110hp stock...