HybridZ

new bike R1 or sv1000?

hoov100

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you thought about a ZRX1200? The reason I say this is that the SV isn't the gem the SV650 was. It's very low budget and requires a lot of parts upgrades for the suspension to be more adjustable to ride style... The R1 is a great sportbike, and I've owned sportbikes all my adult life. But I don't see the newest level of sportbikes over the last five years to be good all round bikes... They are lighter, but much more delicate if dropped. They are also less comfortable for all day rides or long term commuting/ tripping.

I've ridden a bunch of higher end bikes, and the funnest bike I've had that was a great compromise was my 98 ZX9R. It was a sportbike I could drag a knee on at the track, and take on relatively long day trips... It also ran low 10s in the quarter with a lighter rider on it and was pushing about 135WHP with the mods that had been done to it...

Mike

I use to stunt an 01 gsxr 1000 it had lots of power, I got it up to 172mph before I shut it down. I have never owned an R1 but they look awesome. I also love the new cbr 1000. I think it depends on what you like? The sound of a 2 cylinder, or 4?? I stunt a cbr 929 now and love the brakes, power, everything, although it is way under power compaired to the gixxer 1k.

gixxer 19421351830.jpg

19421345840.jpg

19421314085.jpg

32710182937.jpg

19421432113.jpg

19421321389.jpg

20620084125.jpg

32710182976.jpg

I have blown up both the gixxer 1k, and 929 motor, if that helps.

I never stunted my R1's. I bought it with pretty much all the money I had saved from working through highschool and wasn't about to drop that thing...lol. I got pretty good at 2nd gear power wheelies on that 98 but had a few close calls and said screw that... I use to dirtbike alot so I saved the damage for the dirt. All the liter bikes are fast enough for whatever you can do on the street, the R1 is just known to be reliable like nothing else and I'd take the looks of any R1 over the others, so it really comes down to what you like the most and what deal you find.

I've never been into "stuntin'". I always was more interested in keeping both wheels on the ground and trying to get the "backin' it in to the corners" kinda feel at the track... To each, his/her own!

Mikelly

man, at first I was all timid to hit corners with any speed, but once you get a feel for ur bike you can come into a turn and just move alittle and get it drifing through the turn. The first time that happend, my stomach almost jumped out of my body..lol! But i had to try it again and again... :-D

i have a 2002 yamaha fz1-i really like it.after an ivan's carb kit and a slip-on yosh pipe it dynoed at 130hp.also a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket.seems like the most hp,suspension,brakes for the money.

I agree Randy... I just don't care for the looks of the fairing though... Although Tom's FZ-6 looked good this year when he brought it to the Zcar shindig at my place...

I've been racing my supp'ed up CRF150 indoors with a bunch of mini-supermoto guys here in Virginia. We go to several indoor karting tracks on Sunday mornings and race for 4 hours before the karts take it over... Talk about cheap fun!

Mike

My friend blew his brand new r1 in just a couple thousand miles from oil starvation, might be something to think about if you stunt. He liked to ride long standup wheelies on the interstate. might have just been a problem with a certain year but im not an expert, just something to check into.

Guest Crispy Chicken

Oil starvation from motorcycle wheelies affects any wet sump gasoline combustion engine. If you look at the engines used in in-line 4 sportbikes, Honda, Kawi, Suzuki, Yamaha. They are all most identical. The majority of the parts used to make these bikes are made by the same companies. As each manufacturer only makes a portion of the parts in house. The quality, craftsmanship, and reliability are the same..

I've been doing long wheelies and riding hard for a awhile on different bikes. Threw all the people I know in the past couple years. I've witnessed 3 times people popping their engines doing long wheelies one on a 02 gsxr750 and twice on a 00 929 same bike. I've heard of others but didn't see it. Any one claiming that one particular make of motorcycle is prone to oil starvation doesn't have a clue to what is going on.. If there is a recall on a particular model bike for bearing or other internal problems, then that is a different story.

I've never been into "stuntin'". I always was more interested in keeping both wheels on the ground and trying to get the "backin' it in to the corners" kinda feel at the track... To each, his/her own!

Mikelly

Now don't get me wrong, I CAN back it into corners, I CAN bubble the rubber on the edge of the tread of the tire, and I CAN put my full leathers on and go through a set of knee pucs in less than a week on the street. Draggin knee feels good too.

My friend blew his brand new r1 in just a couple thousand miles from oil starvation, might be something to think about if you stunt. He liked to ride long standup wheelies on the interstate. might have just been a problem with a certain year but im not an expert, just something to check into.

I have heard of R1's starving for oil in a wheelie. On my gixxer 1000, and my 929 I made a custom oil pick-up that pointed more at the rear of the oil pan. I could put the bike on the 12 bar and leave it running with no oil light comming on.

Guest Crispy Chicken
I have heard of R1's starving for oil in a wheelie. On my gixxer 1000, and my 929 I made a custom oil pick-up that pointed more at the rear of the oil pan. I could put the bike on the 12 bar and leave it running with no oil light comming on.

Yeah me too!! As... well as Ducatis, Hondas, Kawasakis, KTMs, Suzukis Triumphs, other Yamaha models ,Aprilia, Moto Guzzi Sport Bikes, Buells and some Agusta bikes when doing them whoolers.....

I love the new cbr1000's, and liter bikes are very tempting...BUT....

I know that I CANNOT ride a 1000cc bike at or near its limits. I dont think there are many people who can. I personally thought very hard about going to a 1000 but becided that until i can ride every once out of my 600 I wont change, Its just foolish.

I have a 2003 Cbr600rr I ride every day, its my daily driver now even in the winter and I love it! Im a honda man (motorcycles) , they are so smooth and well built. R6 & R1 I havent heard to many good things about from my friends, lots of problems; electrical, oil starvation, rattles etc.

If i was buying a bike for 5K I would be looking at 03-04 cbr6000rr's or 2004+ gsx-r 600's

Pretty much, all the sport bikes manufactures above especially "Yamaha".. Produced rattling, oil starving bikes that unexpectedly catch on fire caused by electrical problems. Every single one of them! Expect the Hondas, they truly engineered the smoothest sport bikes ever built..

The rattles are so bad on my r1, parts some times fly off when riding fast on the highway... Not to mention all the other problems I have..

Both the R1's i've owned have run flawlessly under hard riding conditions. I can't really speak on other brands like that because i haven't owned a new liter bike other than a R1. What parts fly off yours? everythings bullet proof on the one's i've had. I wouldn't mind having any of the new liter bikes, i just love how the R1 looks, and the 98 was a big advancement in bikes when it came out so thats why i got that one.

600's are fun for awhile, but the power of them gets annoying for non track driving. If you like to sit in high rpms then there fine, but i love the low end power all the way up to redline of the liter bikes, and i do alot of highway driving so a 600 wouldn't be fun.

Glad ur gettin another Z ^, it's cold out to get a bike..lol

Crispy Chicken Looks like your a little defensive.

Im just trying to share my expriences, Ive never had a single problem with a Honda. I have three good buddies with yahmaha's. And ill review, One blew his r1 in less then a year doing wheelies, another has nagging electrical problems on his r6(likes to cut all electrical power while riding) also had second gear go out, and the other switched from a honda 600rr to a r1 and complains constantly of build quality. Thats all.