HybridZ

Recomended V8 for swap

biohazard53188

Hi,

My friend and I are very interested in purchasing a 240z or 260z and performing the O' so famous (and awesome) V8 swap. I wanted to know what is the best choice in engines as far as ease of swaping and value. We have never swaped an engine before but we plan to take our time and research(and of course, ask a bunch of questions here:wink:).

Thanks

There is LOTS of info on this site. Don't take this wrong but I highly recommend you search. There are dedicated forums to the Ford and Chevy V8 swaps. If it can be done (and if it's a good idea) chances are someone on this site has done it or is in the process of doing it.

If you can take the time, I suggest you go see first-hand a V8 swap in progress and/or completed and talk to the guy who is doing/did the work.

if your looking to do a quick pain free cheap swap probably chev is the way to go especially since your in the US. This is simply cause so many people hae done it and documented it, hence less surprises.

If money is a big issue my best advice is to plan your swap in detail first, try to map out exactly what you want to do first and buget for it. remeber to include into your budget tools you will need (cranes, welding equipment .....). Also chuck in a factor of saftey into your buget of at least 1.5

Best of luck mate

• 4 weeks later...

The LS series is the third generation of the chevy 350. First generation was the 350 chevy, second generation was the Lt1, and the third generation or the "LS series" is the Ls1, Ls2, Ls7.... The LS series is just the 350 all grown up with power, reliability, looks, sound, performence, not that the prior 350's weren't great, but the LS1 is what, 400hp stock?

375 or so I thought... anyway, yes... very cool evolution of the 'small block chev' motor, but still a little out of some peoples price range. (mine included) Still, you can get an 'old' iron block 350 ANYWHERE for next to nothing these days. Seriously, I've bought a few sbc motors over the years, ussually still attached to a car or truck. :lol: Up here, I can completly rebuild one for around $1000 and that's including a decent cam and head work. Maybe not pushing as much HP as an LT or LS motor, but close, and CHEEP to boot! Lots of aftermarket support too. Besides, old and simplistic is what you want for your first build anyway. Down the road, the framework is there anyway so you could upgrade easily. (It's always easier to do something after you've done it once.) I didn't buy the JTR book, but it may be a good idea if you've never done this sort of thing, and even so, I hear there's a lot of good info in it. :lol:

• 2 months later...