HybridZ

aluminium blocks

ben240z

Hi there. We have a project running at the moment concerning the developement and production of Aluminium L series blocks. These will be cast to look identical from the outside to a standard block, probably the F54, but will have the obvious benefit of much less wieght and good wall thickness to allow for 89mm liners to be used for the 3.1.

I already have a significant interest in the UK and am just gauging the states to see if there would be a demand for this over there. Other projects are being looked at with regard to the further developement of the L series engine. cheers ben

Not trying to rain on your parade, but there are several issues with an aluminum block L series (or a DOHC head--the other mythical L series mod that is always just about to be figured out):

1. Cost

2. Illegal in just about every racing class except the "open" classes

3. If you're going to be make the car illegal for a given class and run "open", you can make a hell of a lot more power with a whole different engine, and the cost is MUCH lower, eg V8 swap.

I'd be curious to know what you think this aluminum block will cost, what it will weigh, and how much benefit could really be obtained by using it. Then compare that to say a LS2 swap with a brand new engine and transmission. Compare weight, power, cost, etc. It'd be interesting to see where that would end up...

Not trying to rain on your parade, but there are several issues with an aluminum block L series (or a DOHC head--the other mythical L series mod that is always just about to be figured out):

1. Cost

2. Illegal in just about every racing class except the "open" classes

3. If you're going to be make the car illegal for a given class and run "open", you can make a hell of a lot more power with a whole different engine, and the cost is MUCH lower, eg V8 swap.

I'd be curious to know what you think this aluminum block will cost, what it will weigh, and how much benefit could really be obtained by using it. Then compare that to say a LS2 swap with a brand new engine and transmission. Compare weight, power, cost, etc. It'd be interesting to see where that would end up...

1 cost will be an issue as there will be a small run of these but I think that the cost will be justified with the results

2 If the legality of the block over there is an issue then it sounds like a no go from the start. There are regs here that state that the block has to be externaly identifiable as original type fitted to car.

3 some people dont want to go down the V8 route.

Comparisons on wieght, cost etc will be available but there is the obvious advantage that you have over there in as much as the choice of big motors at your disposal and then the disadvantage of the cost of shipping.

Ben- I am very interested....but man the iron blocks are impossible to break or warp the true test is the high HP applications...how will your AL block fair under punishing conditions? I am unaware of any all aluminum straight six blocks, I think maybe the new BMWs might be?

Also what will the AL block weigh -vs- the iron block? (projected).

It would be cool to have the AL blocks "O" ringed around cylinders to ensure that the head and the head gasket seal perfectly.

Anyway keep us posted. I am shocked that you have found somewhere to undertake such a huge project?

Regards- Yasin

Serious engineering is required to build an all aluminum engine. You can't just make a mold and pour molten aluminum in it (remember the Chevy Vega?), and expect it to be durable. R&D engineers spend years designing all aluminum engines. Plan on lots of trial and error.

Honestly do you all think this is going to be under 3K? I doubt it. Unless your a diehard inliner, the cost vs HP isn't going to compare against any other options IMO. Other than the WOW factor I don't see alot of promise.

For $4K you can have an aluminum bulletproof Brodix, donovan, dart block and have cubes, stroke and weigh 100lb less than any gen 1 sbc and probably less than the LSX series.

You just can't have your cake and eat it too.

Ben- I am very interested....but man the iron blocks are impossible to break or warp the true test is the high HP applications...how will your AL block fair under punishing conditions? I am unaware of any all aluminum straight six blocks, I think maybe the new BMWs might be?

Also what will the AL block weigh -vs- the iron block? (projected).

It would be cool to have the AL blocks "O" ringed around cylinders to ensure that the head and the head gasket seal perfectly.

Anyway keep us posted. I am shocked that you have found somewhere to undertake such a huge project?

Regards- Yasin

Yes the iron blocks are nearly impossible to break unless you have a rod come out of the side or you break through when boring out to 89mm. even if you dont break through the walls are so thin that the block has very little rigidity left in it. That is the experience found over here.

The idea of the ali block is for those people that have to or want to stay with the L series straight 6 or want to build a strong 3.1 motor or just looking to take a signifacant wieght from the front of the car. Another reason is that we do not have the supply of turbo blocks that you have as a starting point for the big motors. I appreciate that the regs over there may be too constrictive for this type of mod, and also you have such a wide range of cheap big motors to choose from as transplants. Why have a cast iron anchor when an ali anchor is available?

When we have the final costings and the blocks are available I will let the interested parties know. This engine is not aimed at the engine builder that collects bits from the other L series engine and bolts them together to get a known compresion ratio/power output. I'll get me coat and go back out to me garage now.

sorry pal you lost me there

You're better off not knowing. It has to do with cable TV repairmen, flannel shirts, and butt cracks.

I'm interested in the AL block idea but the cost will probably scare me away. I do know of a pallet of L24 blocks (6 total) that have been bored and align honed that can probably be bought for cheap.

While we're dreaming, would you be casting these with the larger ld28 deck height, or standard deck height?

Also, how much extra would it cost to have you make a custom aluminum twin cam head to fit on your block? :P

No dreams this side of the water my friend. Yes it would be nice to have a xflow head to sit on top of the block. Sadly as has been pointed out on other replies the cost of the block is not going to make it a viable proposition for shipping to the states so the blocks will most likely stay here. Thanks for the positive replies and I will respond t them when we have the costings finalised but doubt I shall waste my time here otherwise. cheers ben