HybridZ

Z432 color opinions

yoogener

not sure but I think BRE orange was a color

"BRE orange"? That's a new one on me.

Since 432s were rolling out of the factory in Japan before Pete Brock had ever clapped eyes on an S30-series Z, I'd have to say that's pretty unlikely really.

1969 factory colour choice for the PS30 Fairlady Z432 was:

#901 ( GP Silver ), #905 ( GP Red ), #919 ( Yellow ), #920 ( Safari Gold ), #904 ( GP White ), #907 ( Green ), #918 ( Orange ) - the same seven colourways that the contemporary Fairlady Z and Fairlady Z-L models were rolling out of the factory in.

yoogener,

The 432 was only really externally distinguishable from the other models by the small visible details, like the wheels, twin-pipe muffler and emblems. If you were building a 'lookalike' then it would all hinge on the small details really.

Are you possibly thinking of the 432R? That letter 'R' denotes something a lot more special and complicated under the skin, a few more external differences, and only ONE factory colour choice for cars sold to the general public ( #918 ).

haha. guess I was wrong again.:P .

Another difference that I remember was the meshed grille and the PFR (or what ever the composite is called[plastic], or was it fiberglass?) hood. That was black.

The satin black painted FRP ( Fibreglass Reinforced Plastic ) bonnet ( hood ) was only fitted to the 'PS30-SB' 432R. The 'PS30' 432 had a steel bonnet, painted in the same colour as the rest of the car.

The mesh grilles were different between the two cars too. The 432 had a mesh grille that was the same as the contemporary Fairlady Z and Fairlady Z-L models - same part number for all three models - so there is no such thing as a specifically "432 mesh grill" despite what people who are selling them today might like to tell you.

The 432R on the other hand had a 432R-specific mesh grille with a different gauge of mesh and a different part number.

Details, details. God is in the details, as they say. :wink:

How much did 432 and 432r's sell for when they were sold... and how much did a standard 2.4 powered fairlady go for?

1969 Tokyo Auto Show price list:

*Fairlady Z = 930,000 Yen

*Fairlady Z-L = 1,080,000 Yen

*Fairlady Z432 = 1,850,000 Yen

*Fairlady Z432-R = "Price On Application" ( but actually cheaper than the 432, as an incentive to racers ).

L24-engined cars did not become available to the Japanese home market until October 1971. The models listed above were still available, but the following were added to the range lineup:

*Fairlady 240Z = 1,150,000 Yen

*Fairlady 240Z-L = 1,350,000 Yen

*Fairlady 240ZG = 1,500,000 Yen

I wonder why the PS30-SB only came in orange.

One of those any colour you like, as long as its black type situations, I think. The PZR unibody was really quite special, and didn't proceed down the body assembly line like all the other models - so that tells some of the story logistically at least. The low-volume production meant that they were not 'made to order' - so you had to take the plain vanilla colour, which was 918 and already thought of as 'sporty'.

Some PZRs did get made in other colours, but they weren't sold to the general public.

Wasn't it to commemorate race wins? I think thats where I got mixed up with the "BRE orange". I read it somewhere. Can't remember where though.

Strike three. You're out........

Since the first PZRs were made around June and July of 1969 ( several months before they ever raced ) and were 918 Orange, this can't be true. I think you are probably getting the story of another model confused with this one?

By the way, the first 'Works' ( Nissan factory race team ) PZR was not 918 orange, interestingly enough.

I can vouch the differentiation of the 432 Grilles. In the states the Fairlady grille was improperly referred to as the "432" grille by some Nissan Motorsports Employees, and when that particular model was exhausted, they stated the mesh grilles were "NLA".

Then someone with a 72 Fairlady Z parts booklet suggested they look at any of the other part numbers for "Fairlady Grilles" to check availability.

And "Viola" they "became available again". They had been selling one part number, and it's supply was exhausted. They were totally unaware that there were several different "Fairlady Grilles" available. Not just Early S30, but later S31 Grilles. This same type of situation occurred with radio block-off plates during the restoration programme where Nissan Employees ran out of one part number, and decided they were "NLA" while the radio block-off plate from the 720 pickup was the exact same part in a different box! Of course pointing this fact out to them, no matter how tactfully was not a welcome development.

Like Alan said, they had different meshes, different gauge of sheetmetal rimming the mesh section, etc etc... They are almost universal fitment on the JDM S30's, and to early US Specification S30's.

As they said about 260's-on in the USA "Some modifications may be required to fit to these models"... My latest acquired Fairlady (1975 Fairlady Z(S) 2/2) had a PO that decided it was a good idea to cut the grille up to fit fog lamps.

Apparently unaware what those factory punched holes in the bottom of the front bumper were meant to hold...

i take it you mean s130?
No he meant S31. We have a few of them here in NZ and Dad had one recently (see my personal website look under galleries and you will see a section for Dad's old Fairlady with pics of the Chassis number showing the S31 and you will see it is looks the same as any old S30) so a search (can't recall if it was on here or classiszcars.com) there is a thread/post that talks about the S31 models :)

i take it you mean s130?

No, he meant S31 for sure. S31 is technically included in the S30-series as far as Nissan were concerned. It was an updated S30-series Z, nothing to do with the S130-series.

Sparky,

Going into the full differences between a PZR bodyshell and any one of the other 'ordinary' bodyshells would fill a small book. They really were quite radically different - even if they looked outwardly the same to the casual observer. To add to the mystery and confusion, not all PZR 'shells were exactly the same..........

But to sum up, rear quarters, rear panel, roof, doors, front wings ( fenders ) and other small panels were made from lighter gauge steel. Bonnet ( hood ) and front valance ( specially shaped to aid attachment of the full engine and transmission undertray ) were made from FRP. Spare wheel well was deleted and a flat panel with strengthening ribs was installed to make space for the 100 litre fuel tank. Sills ( rockers ), some floor panel pressings, all the pressings around the diff, rear suspension and the front chassis rails ( and the air tubes ) were pressed in thicker gauge sheet metal than normal bodies.

Lots of the components of the cars were lightened or simplified, and they were fitted with acrylic instead of glass except for the 'screen, which was clear untinted glass.

Alan T.

well i have a feeling ill lay eyes on one in the near future! ;) and i know another person here that will haha

Anyhow yes there are numerous differences from small ones like pre-drilled holes ( or the lack of them) for fuse boxes .. to the height of the frame rails or rockers ( whatever you call them) ..

Haha ALAN is teaching you proper English with bonnets and wings LOL

However i disagree on one thing .. and those would be the 'strengthening ribs' Main purpose of ribs in mainly to prevent vibration.... but that would be discussing about nothing .. i only had one of those plates in my hands once did not even know what it was until some years back .. ooh well

But BRE orange or 918 orange (whats in a name) would be my second pic .. As you seemed to refer more to a paint scheme than tech specs.

that color scheme black hood .. would combine nice with lime green in my opinion!

However My opinion is that yes .. in a sense of nostalgia these cars where THE thing .. But with modern techniques a good shop could built a far superior Z to race!

It boils down to the purist on one side and the and the non purist on the other end .

yoogener,

The 432 was only really externally distinguishable from the other models by the small visible details, like the wheels, twin-pipe muffler and emblems. If you were building a 'lookalike' then it would all hinge on the small details really.

More of a 'lookalike.' I just used Z432 as an example. I was mainly trying to find color opinions for the ride set as my avatar. Correct me if I've mistaken, but I think the airdam design I have on my Z is similar to that of a Z432. Basically a very common setup, but I'm still stuck trying to find a suitable color.

If anyone would like to post any nice Z432(-R) photos, please do. Thanks

-yoog

Correct me if I've mistaken, but I think the airdam design I have on my Z is similar to that of a Z432.

I see no similarity to a Z432 whatsoever.

Z432 models left the factory with no front spoiler. You must be thinking of a different model.