HybridZ

Making a strut tower bar: Design opinions/help

I'm sick of people trying to sound like "experts".

But Mike, I consulted with "experts" on the design of the front STB mentioned above. Bill Savage did a lot of the chassis design and upright fabrication on Nissan's GTP cars when he worked with NPTI in the late 1980s and early 1990s. He has also built a number of off-road winning race trucks for Nissan. I would consider him to be an "expert" on chassis design and reinforcement. You may not like how he (or I) sound, but that doesn't diminish his "expert" status.

I have some close-up pictures of the mounts in one of my galleries.

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=702

i absolutely love the way you've made those STB mounts, but I'm curious to know:

1) what type of metal you used? thickness?

2) how would one close the hood, or is it an aftermarket hood that is attached with pins elsewhere?

I can't take credit for making them, although using my monkey-see, monkey-do engineering skills I've made a duplicate setup in a customer's car. The originals on my car were made by Ivan at Bill Savage's shop. Material is 4130 and wall thickness is .083.

Forgot, they fit under a stock hood and the hood on my car was pinned on all around.

I can't take credit for making them, although using my monkey-see, monkey-do engineering skills I've made a duplicate setup in a customer's car. The originals on my car were made by Ivan at Bill Savage's shop. Material is 4130 and wall thickness is .083.

Forgot, they fit under a stock hood and the hood on my car was pinned on all around.

beautiful.

i think im gonna find the lowest sitting engine i can possibly acquire... (ej20) and just weld in a huge 3/16" second hood that will just weld into the entire engine bay opening. that should provide enough structural support to be used as a bomb shelter, since the Z is the only thing i enjoy that i have stuck to my name.

questions? comments? concerns? metal donations?!

Thanks =)

when you can...weld some extensions on from the corners of the bar and have it bolt on to the corners of the rad support. And then do the firewall reinforcement later on.

ahh this bars only gonna be "for the mean time", I have plans to move the engine back and down sometime soon.