HybridZ

Is this a reasonable price for floor board replacement?

Alri

I was quoted almost $2000 to have the floor boards in my Z replaced. That's a lot of money, but I really need to have this job done. I don't have any other references to see what these jobs usually cost. Is this a fair price? Also, has anyone ever tried this repair kit? http://www.datsunstore.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=floor+

Any other info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds kinda of expensive to me. It is a lot of labor involved. Maybe if you can do some of the labot he would be cheaper. Like remove the seats, carpet, etc. Remove the tar/fiber pads etc.

I have installed some floor pans in a mustang before and it took me about two full days to to. This is before I had a plasma cutter. I think if you shoped around you could fine someone to do it cheaper.

IMO.....

John

I would start by getting the Zedd Findings replacement floor pans. The ones you linked to didn't look like an exact OEM replacement to me. The problem with floorboards is that a body shop kinda have to make them fit. If you can provide them with an exact fit replacment, the labor involved will go down considerably. Still quite a bit of labor there don't get me wrong, but it would be a lot easier job with exact replacement parts.

• Like 1

As a body man of old I will tell you your best bet is to stip out the interior yourself. Clear away as much tar and padding as possible just as JNJ said. The real trick is to look around at your local track or ask around at cruises and local shows/swap meets.. you'll find someone who will do a good job for less if you supply the pans and such upfront so they invest no cash of their own. I do a side job here and there myself eben though I'm out of the business. You might find a racer or retired bodyman to do it as well... maybe even someone that will let you help them do it or put you to work doing something else in trade.. all shops need a good Gopher or clean up guy!

I would start by getting the Zedd Findings replacement floor pans. The ones you linked to didn't look like an exact OEM replacement to me.

I bought the Zed Findings and they are not only better looking, they are out of thicker material as well. Cost a little more though. I bought a welder too and I'm still under your quote on the job. Still got lots of work to do as well. Watchout for the "while I'm at it" bug.

chris

If you spend $800, you could buy a new welder, buy floor pan replacements, and do it yourself and come out with a new welder and the job done. Just my thoughts, because it's not hard work, it's just time consuming and tedious. If your frame is ok, the pans don't have to be perfectly installed as long as there solid, it would be a great job to learn from. I did it on a 54 chevy and had no clue when I started what we were doing, and still don't for that matter.... but it came out fine..lol.

NCchris has the right idea..lol

My first vehicle was a 90 toyota 4x4, and i blew the transmission and didn't know any better than to have a transmission shop replace it for $2000!!! I coulda bought a transmission and installed it myself for $200. So if you have some time to do the work, it's worth it.

I was quoted almost $2000 to have the floor boards in my Z replaced.

I've charged people from $1,250 to $1,750 to do this job so $2,000 is not out of line, especially if the body shop includes stripping the interrior, cleaning, prepping, repairing, and painting after.

You're trading time for money by having someone else do the work. If you don't have much money, you should spend your time doing the work yourself. If you don't have much money or time, sell the car and buy a used Civic.

I stripped the interior of the Z myself, and found like $10 in change( mostly pennies :-P ). I tried to do everything I could to pay less, but i guess it wasn't enough. The frame rails on the floorpans are destroyed by rust. I've decided to cut the floorboards off myself, buy a replacement kit, and have someone do the welding. It'll take me time, since I'm new to that area of work, but I think it's a simple job requiring a lot of time. On another note, I did buy a civic because of my Z :lol: My Z gets like 10MPG, even though it only runs 13s( damn carb'd V8s lol) I'll post pics of the progress to see what you guys think.

if you have some time and space on your hands you can do the job yourself with 100 bucks worth of sheetmetal. I literally used a nibbler a hammer and a welder...

My floor boards arent the greatest but heres a link to what I did...

http://www.geocities.com/projectzt/floorpans.html

it was my first real weldin job so i didnt know what i was doing. If i did it again it would be stich welded and i would pay alot more attention to keeping it from warping.

I've decided to cut the floorboards off myself, buy a replacement kit, and have someone do the welding.

Hi Alri:

I would recommend finding someone to weld them in FIRST.

If you show up at the typical body shop with no floorboards at least one of two things will most likely result. 1. The guy at the body shop will not have had the opportunity to decide for himself, where the best place to cut them out would be (so he would have access to weld). He'll also not have a good concept of how they should look when he'd done. 2. Knowing that you are now stuck with no floorboards - and MUST have them done, his price can go up..

If your going to cut them out yourself - work out a deal with the person that's going to weld them back in BEFORE you start cutting.

Here is a good article on doing the job - it will at least give you some idea of how it goes..

http://zhome.com/Classic/240ZFloorboards/ChrisFloorboards.htm

BTW - looking at the picture of your Z - you're just North of me..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

I did my own floors in a ZX, used Jed Findings floor pans and support rails, the pans aren't the only thing you will need to replace, you need to tie in the floor with the front subframe, alot of hand fabrication work. I think the floor pans and rails are close to $500 shipped to the US from Canada, so to do it correctly $2000 isn't that bad, it's not a job for someone not handy with a cut off wheel and Mig welder. As stated before DO NOT cut the floors out without having new pans to measure from.