HybridZ

Is this a reasonable price for floor board replacement?

Alri

I too have gone Chris' route - bought Zeddfindings pans and bought a welder and took classesw - but I have more than pans to do - front fenders between door and front wheelwell and driver's rear quarter.

Even so - with just pans you more than pay for the welder doing it yourself, and it isn't hard. I'll be starting with the pans first before doing any exterior work for obvious reasons.

I have already built a rotisserie so I don't haqve to do this on my back....

For 2 grand you could buy the all tools to do it yourself. Yes a little practice welding but you would own the tools when your done. Investing in a quality wire feed goes a long way. With the floor pans so thin a good 110v welder would do the trick even if you added in .125 thick frame connectors. Just a thought.

If you do the doit yourself route get a mig welder with a gas bottle, the self flux wire migs aren't that good with thin sheet metal. Get a 4.5 in angle grinder and thin cutoff wheels to cut out the old floor from INSIDE the car, the idea is to do almost all the welding of the pans from inside the car, makes it alot easier. It's not hard to do but it is time consuming work if you want it done right. There is a thread somewhere that documents some guys doing floor pans, I think it was called " rust free Z car" not sure.

• 1 year later...

Had to bring back this old thread as I just stripped the interior to find a few decent holes in my floor pans. I have heard of people just cutting out what was bad and riveting in new sheet metal, is this a good idea if its all sealed correctly afterwards? I only ask because I've considered doing it and was wondering if its a bad idea.

Had to bring back this old thread as I just stripped the interior to find a few decent holes in my floor pans. I have heard of people just cutting out what was bad and riveting in new sheet metal, is this a good idea if its all sealed correctly afterwards? I only ask because I've considered doing it and was wondering if its a bad idea.

This is what the PREVIOUS owner did to my Z and it only ended up trapping moisture and making the rust worse IMO. Cut the sections out and replace. I did it w/ almost no prior welding experience, along with the frame rail replacment, and everything is just fine.

This is what the PREVIOUS owner did to my Z and it only ended up trapping moisture and making the rust worse IMO. Cut the sections out and replace. I did it w/ almost no prior welding experience, along with the frame rail replacment, and everything is just fine.

Sadly enough, I, the one who started this thread, still have this job on my Z going on. I had to cut out most of the floor and make my own metal pieces. I still need to weld it together tough. I can't believe it's been more than a year. It'll be done in maybe 2 more months.

What if I was to cut out the infected section, then rivet the new metal in, and prep, prime it. I've been looking at doing the bedliner to prevent rust.

You don't think that if its all dry, that rust might still start to form underneath the bedliner material, do you? I'm not being sarcastic, I really wanna know if it could happen or not.

What if I was to cut out the infected section, then rivet the new metal in, and prep, prime it. I've been looking at doing the bedliner to prevent rust.

You don't think that if its all dry, that rust might still start to form underneath the bedliner material, do you? I'm not being sarcastic, I really wanna know if it could happen or not.

I feel that the floor acts as a structural member in this type of car(unibody) and that riveting in a new piece of metal may let the car flex more. I'm basing this solely from looking at my car(I'm doing floors right now too.) and slight research I've done on other cars(3rd gen f-body) and little real world experience.

You could definitely rivet in some new material, seal it up good, and have it not leak. I just think it's not the best way.

My 110v mig welder is the most useful tool I own.