HybridZ

Can I run a turbo on an NA engine with NA FI?

cpt jack

sorry when i wrote it i was hella tired... i have a stock 280zx na... and i wana swap over a p90a head after im done all porting and stuff like that can i use my stock motor and head and run a 280zx turbo off that? And if i did would i cause alot of dammage?

• Administrators

Cpt.,

Its not easy to get the NA EFI to work properly in a turbo application. Obviously, I'm making an assumption that that is your intentions. If you're asking from a mechanical pespective, yes it can be done that way. Depending on who you ask, it may be less than 'ideal', however. A modest motor, using premium fuel and an appropriate intercooler would probably be an overall improvement as the higher compression (relative to a stock ZXT) would reduce lag a bit. The higher ring lands are a step backward, but if the car is used for sprints (as opposed to extended use), I suspect you'd be fine.

You'd be wise getting your hands on a 280ZXT EFI system, providing your goal is modest power. If your ultimate or long-term goals include high power levels, I'd recommend an aftermarket EFI system.

Cpt.,

Its not easy to get the NA EFI to work properly in a turbo application. Obviously, I'm making an assumption that that is your intentions. If you're asking from a mechanical pespective, yes it can be done that way. Depending on who you ask, it may be less than 'ideal', however. A modest motor, using premium fuel and an appropriate intercooler would probably be an overall improvement as the higher compression (relative to a stock ZXT) would reduce lag a bit. The higher ring lands are a step backward, but if the car is used for sprints (as opposed to extended use), I suspect you'd be fine.

You'd be wise getting your hands on a 280ZXT EFI system, providing your goal is modest power. If your ultimate or long-term goals include high power levels, I'd recommend an aftermarket EFI system.

Thanks man thats the answer i was lookin for yea im not in to efi i actully want to go itb on my car... but my friends all drive turbo cars and there fast my car doesnt even keep up only take them through the turns... i was goin to swap p90a head i hear loweres compression alot... but yea... the other thing i herd that will help a na guy like me is to take the turbo maf and swap guts and yea..... well any advice would be great as well!

• Administrators

"Captain" , Jack, Sparrah,

Well, based on your questions, how you asked them, and how they are worded, my guess is that you are primarily looking for a performance increase and see that “Turbo charging” is a good way to meet that goal. (Yeeeup, that’ll do it fer sure…). :burnout:

I don’t know your “mAd skiLLs” mechanically speaking, but if you are new to performance tuning and parts swapping, then my suggestion is to find a complete running Turbo L-6 engine and EFI system from a Turbo ZX and swap that in your car. Install the engine and the EFI in your car identical to how it was installed from the donor car. Or just buy a Turbo car that runs and start with that. That should give you a nice “reliable” boost in performance from what you currently have and also, hopefully, (depending on the condition of the donor power plant), a solid foundation from which to build upon for future performance needs.

We could spend hours and incredible amounts of bandwidth describing to you the “ins and outs” on L-6 cylinder heads and which is best for what application, Turbos and how to set them up, Engine management, etc, (all of which has been covered in great detail on this forum already and can be read about using the search feature).

If I’m barking up the wrong tree here, I ask that you please give us a LOT more detail and specifics, such as what you already have for a car/power plant, what you want to achieve with this car and an indication on the resources you have available to achieve those goals so that we can collectively help you choose the most cost effective route to meet your goals. I don’t mean give us your bank account statement and tax records, but are you willing to spend $25,000 on just engine upgrades only and want all this in 3 months time or are you on a more realistic budget and want to achieve more performance from your Z on a $5000 budget?

Just diggin fir a bone, wanten to hep out…

BRAAP…BRAAAAAAAP……BRAAAAAaaaaaaa…… :burnout:

We could spend hours and incredible amounts of bandwidth describing to you the “ins and outs†on L-6 cylinder heads and which is best for what application, Turbos and how to set them up, Engine management, etc, (all of which has been covered in great detail on this forum already and can be read about using the search feature).

Wait... you mean this has been asked about 1 trillion times before? :D

• Administrators
I'm invoking the right to Parlay... :-D

Cpt. Jack, If you want to show your backside to your turbo buddies, then I suggest installing a #9 resistor...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114696

Whoa there Ron. I think you are jumping the gun a bit.. This class session is “L-series Torque 101”… In the by laws, it is written that no Journey person shall release ANY info regarding the coveted resistor #9. Not to any indentured pad wan apprentice…

I was once told by a wise midget….

“Use the Force that crank turns will he, in due time, with fuel, boost adding... “

May the Torque be with us all…

"Captain" , Jack, Sparrah,

Well, based on your questions, how you asked them, and how they are worded, my guess is that you are primarily looking for a performance increase and see that “Turbo charging†is a good way to meet that goal. (Yeeeup, that’ll do it fer sure…). :burnout:

I don’t know your “mAd skiLLs†mechanically speaking, but if you are new to performance tuning and parts swapping, then my suggestion is to find a complete running Turbo L-6 engine and EFI system from a Turbo ZX and swap that in your car. Install the engine and the EFI in your car identical to how it was installed from the donor car. Or just buy a Turbo car that runs and start with that. That should give you a nice “reliable†boost in performance from what you currently have and also, hopefully, (depending on the condition of the donor power plant), a solid foundation from which to build upon for future performance needs.

We could spend hours and incredible amounts of bandwidth describing to you the “ins and outs†on L-6 cylinder heads and which is best for what application, Turbos and how to set them up, Engine management, etc, (all of which has been covered in great detail on this forum already and can be read about using the search feature).

If I’m barking up the wrong tree here, I ask that you please give us a LOT more detail and specifics, such as what you already have for a car/power plant, what you want to achieve with this car and an indication on the resources you have available to achieve those goals so that we can collectively help you choose the most cost effective route to meet your goals. I don’t mean give us your bank account statement and tax records, but are you willing to spend $25,000 on just engine upgrades only and want all this in 3 months time or are you on a more realistic budget and want to achieve more performance from your Z on a $5000 budget?

Just diggin fir a bone, wanten to hep out…

BRAAP…BRAAAAAAAP……BRAAAAAaaaaaaa…… :burnout:

Hahahah thanks... well im lookin for atleast 250's i dont want mad power but id like my car to somewhat hold its own... i do alot of highspeed driving lol and ur here and there Auto x, i was told turbo swap was easy and that you could use stock injectors, and electral... i assume that is not true... i really could care less if my cars turboed or not i personally would love to have itb's but who wouldnt.... well my Auto skillz is well i guess up there ive pulled motors alot actully hardest one being a Porshe 944 turbo and a Flat 4 out of this old ass imprezza... im a auto 5 student at my highshool and ive had to pull out my tranny and reinstall it 8 times and on a lift with 2 other people to un bolt ♥♥♥♥ i can get it done under 2hrs if that... and by my self in about 3.5 hrs. Money range is well maybe 2500 -4000 more for making my own braces and more power...? On power increse, i herd swaping out guts in a turbo maf helps with power and 240sx (which i use to own... thank god not any more...)tb. and port matching it will help alot with power....

yes you can..

you need a RRFPR or AFPR

around 90psi of fuel on ZXT injectors

heavy duty fuel pump

very tight AFM spring

lock up the advance on the dizzy (silicone or JB weld)

plug up the vacuum advance

yup, Thats it. Now I know how everyone feels when I asked that question over a year ago.:redface: