HybridZ

Starting the Motor Saturday! ( I hope... )

I've been working pretty hard the last week or so trying to tie up all the loose ends on my Hybrid project so I can get it started before I start traveling. I think mechanically everything is ready accept for the 3" of fuel hose I need to install, bleed Clutch master and beel brakes, install drive shaft, fill engine/trans/rearend with proper fluids, and maybe just a couple electrical odds and ends.

So yesterday I had finished my heater plumbing was cleaning up and noticed about 3 drops of oil under the pan on the floor :( , so i take a look and sure enough there is a couple of drops of oil on the bottom of the pan as well but it's not coming from the drain plug or the sides or anything, there seems to be a pin hole in the front of the bottom side of the pan. SO, I'm wondering if I should replace the pan/gasket now before I ever turn her over, use one of my 1" monster magnets to hold a rubber gasket of some sort on the pin hole untill I can get the motor broken in and then at that point use changing the pan as an opportunity to take a look at the bottom end? OR just replace the pan / gasket tomorrow and forget about it?

Also wondering about how well the crank case is going to vent w/ the circle track type 'tall' valve covers I have? One side has two breathers and the other side is sealed. Grumpy recomended them, so I suppose it will be fine, just wondering.

I will also use this thread to keep you all updated on my progress durring the initial firing and hopefully driving of the Hybrid! :)

Bill,

Sounds like you are right on top of it. Too bad about your small leak. I'd just go ahead and fix it now, but you'd probably be ok for a while with some kind of patch. Do you have pic's posted somewhere? Good luck on your start up.

Mike

PS- Boise State Rules!

What's the best way to patch it? If you search for threads Started by ME, you should dig up some pics. I'll try to post some more updated pics before and after start up...

I'll pull for your Broco's actually :) I like the underdog, and I'm way more an O-State fan than a Sooners fan.

Good luck! :)

In all truthfulness... I had a similar problem with a 383 that I built for a friend of mine with a pinhole...although we had two small one in the oil pan, and he asked me if he should start it or replace the pan first and I told him to replace the pan...well turns out after waiting three months for me to finish the engine build for him he got itchy and started it up, well before he could do anything or even enjoy the new engine, I am now having to pull it back apart cause he temp repaired it and with the flow of the high flow oil pump it moved the patch...and friend the engine.... So I would say wait the extra day or so and replace that sucker with a new pan and gasket...hopefully this time with one that doens't have any pinholes.... good luck on the startup.....

For the pan hole i ended up taking one of my Nio? magnets to hold a rubber grommet on and held just fine.

SO! Jeff (aguyandaredhead) came over at 9am sharp and we got to work, finished up ALOT of small loose ends, worked through a couple of electrical issues and by 4:30 or so we had her cranking. Another guy MIKE ? came by, he is a neighbor and was just passing by, he has like 5 z's or something like that, he helped bleed clutch master then had to go to work. It wasn't firing at first but we figured out that either the wiring is funny or my ignition switch is acting funky. The 12v supply to the coil is only hot when the key is in the run position, so it wouldn't fire until you let of the starter, (Still need to fix that)

Anyway, got the timing to where she'd fire and started up and ran really well. I have a couple of things to sort out still. The ignition wiring/switch issue, one of the spark plug wires is arcing to the firewall, electric fan wiring isn't quite rite and my thermo for the temp gauge is in a bad position. Once those are cleared up i'll be able to mess w/ what's left to get it rolling under it's own power.

My wife shot some footage and I'll try to get it posted but can't make any promises, since I've never uploaded vid to my PC from the camera. I'll try to get something this week.

So HUGE thanks to Jeff (he stayed till 6:30 pm and said he'd stay till I said we were done, unheard of!) I owe you BIG for your help!!! Also thanks to my neighbor Mike who introduced himself and w/ in 5 minutes was under the car getting all dirty! :) And last and not least HYBRIDZ.ORG I've got some checks coming in and when they do, I'll float some $$ your way. You all have gotten me and the Z to where it is today.

Garage is a huge mess so i'll be cleaning up this afternoon, I'll try to get to the electrics after that.

Thanks again everyone!

no :( Cleaned up everything yesterday but that was about it. Needing to focus on family right now, I think it's hitting my wife that I'm going to be gone for quite a while. She's been tough until today, so we'll see how it goes.

I'll try hard to work on it this week but it won't be much if I do.

Replaced rear brake pads yesterday since the right rear wheel hat gotten locked up at some point while up in the air. The Pad had cracked and i guess stuck to the drum.

Moved the Temp sensor, still need to chase some wiring down on the ignition side but it's hopefully the switch.

Leaving tomorrow for Dubai, so I'm packing and finishing some things around the house today. Hopefully I will get some time to play.

I'll be back in 3 weeks from today. C-YA