HybridZ

Carbon Fiber Hood?

RedFive

So I'm just days away from final painting, and I suddenly decided that I might want a carbon fiber hood. I just took the old one off, and while it's really not too heavy...eh...lighter is aways better.

So what's the scoop on getting a plain jane replica carbon fiber hood? And how cheap can I get it? How fast? Anybody know where to get one around southern California?

I saw one on ebay for cheap (compared to MSA), but I remember hearing you guys talk about carbon fiber scams on ebay a long time ago. I can't remember exactly what you guys said because I wasn't really interested in getting any carbon fiber.

Thanks,

Logan

I bought one of those ones selling on ebay for $349.00 and its very nice, except that mine is a tad narrow compared to the oem fit.

I measured my oem, then the CF hood and the CF is aprox 3/16 narrow than the oem. Others have said theirs fit well, so I must have got a blem....

I am also considering buying a carbon fiber hood, and I noticed this ad on craigslist.com for the raceonusa carbon fiber hoods. In this ad it shows the Datsun 240z cf hood listed for $349.99. I talked to raceonusa and they said when you order your hood, mention that ad and we will honor that price. So if you can save about $150. You should order it now before that ad expires. Btw, they are located in Ontario, so it's in the so cal area, and you will save that $150 shipping cost.

Heres the link: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/235639444.html

Btw, they said when you make an order it will take about a week to make. You should also know this is not a 100% carbon fiber hood. It is a fiberglass frame with carbon fiber on it.

Guest Death69

call the number and make sure its acutally raceonusa, my friend bought a hood for his s2000 from ebay form a place that said it was race on but it wasnt. he got sold a fake hood that didnt fit. just call and make sure its them, if it is, your gunna get a good hood!

• 2 weeks later...

most of the 'carbon fiber hoods' are fiberglass with carbon fiber around them. its really expensive and hard to make a 100% carbon fiber hood. the carbon fiber/fiberglass hoods are still lighter than a completely fiberglass hood. i plan on getting one

I guess I'm not advertising enough: http://www.betamotorsports.com and go to Products. Real, honest to goodness Carbon Fiber racing hoods for the 240/260/280Z and now for the 280ZX.

They ain't cheap.

Really nice stuff.....I like.

Would it be smart to have a CF hatch on a street car? I am thinking from a music system point of view. I am guessing it is strong enough to deal with heavy sound waves coming at it and won't weaken it over time.....correct thought?

Clive

I am thinking from a music system point of view. I am guessing it is strong enough to deal with heavy sound waves coming at it and won't weaken it over time.....correct thought

Never thought about that kind of use. The hatch itself should be strong enough and if the pin-on mounts spread the load over a 2" circle I don't think there would be an issue. The mounting needs to be tight so the hatch doesn't bank up against the mounting clips in the pins.

Now, about the Lexan hatch window mounting, that might not survive unless you went to some thicker Lexan (1/4").

I'll give anyone in Phoenix a DEAL!

I am working at Honeywell in Tempe this week, and will probably head home this weekend (SoCal). And return to Tempe either Sunday evening, or Monday morning.

If you can get the $$$ to either of the Sellers (I have a John C hood and can vouch for it's quality: A#1), and they are willing to let me pick it up Friday afternoon or before I head back, I can strap it into the bed of the truck and deliver it to the Phoenix Valley Gratis.

PM Me if you are interested, and let me have some contact numbers.

Where's it need to go? And why didn't you ask me at the DZA meeting last week? I was there...where were YOU! LOL

I'm lodged at the Candlewood on Baseline and Priest. If you need something to go to SoCal, let me know, should (hopefully) be going that way Thursday or Friday afternoon.