HybridZ

Ignition box recomendaitions

So i read a thread on MSD ignition box failure . Well same here i blew through 3 in one year . I noticed quite a bit of power loss at higher rpms without the MSD box , enough so that when i had the box i would hit second gear and slide sideways now i dont , even though i have a MSD pro billet HEI .

I run a supercharger so id like a Ignition box with a boost retard any sugestions on which one to use other then MSD

Jason

Interesting note; The guy I bought my MSD box from said he was switching to a Crane ignition system. He told me his reason for the switch was due to a change in the rules at his local stock car track, the officials were trying to even out the field by forcing evryone to run ONLY Crane, or stock ignition. (what would you do if you wanted to stay competitive?!?) I have heard good things about the Crane units, but have no first hand exp. with them.

Same here... I've heard the Crane units play a lot nicer with sensitive Nissan ignition systems than MSD boxes.

- Greg -

I will just say that my MSD has been installed in my car for 6yrs now, with no failures. It is triggered by a Pertronix unit and I use Magnecor wires. I also installed the MSD on the Firewall INSIDE the cabin to keep it out of the heat and elements. Just my $.02

I will just say that my MSD has been installed in my car for 6yrs now, with no failures.

Actually I do have a buddy with an MSD box on his turbo Sentra SE-R (mounted in the engine bay, though). It has performed well for about the same time as yours. His was the only positive data point that I had heard. Maybe the MSD boxes have declined in quality over the past few years?

- Greg -

I've had MSD boxes for 5 years now, 2-MSD7AL2's and one 6BTM. The 6 died and now I have 2 since I bought a new one and sent the old one in to fix for $30.

MSD works when they work, buy two, keep one as a spare, send in the fried one when it lets go, it's $30 to fix.

I run a supercharger so id like a Ignition box with a boost retard any sugestions on which one to use other then MSD

Jason

I've run a MSD6-BTM on my 144 Weiand blower/SBC set-up at 10lbs boost with no problems for four years. If someone else is running a roots blower with boost timing retard using another companies box I wish they would post their info....

LARRY

Actually I do have a buddy with an MSD box on his turbo Sentra SE-R (mounted in the engine bay, though). It has performed well for about the same time as yours. His was the only positive data point that I had heard. Maybe the MSD boxes have declined in quality over the past few years?

MSD has had a questionable rep for a lot longer than 5 years. As others have said, my experience has been very positive. I bought a 6AL basically just to get the rev limiter and have used it for at least 6 years if not longer, only time I ever had trouble was when I disconnected it and reconnected it wrong.

There sure is a variety of experience with MSD ignitions. Mine has been good. I have had my 6AL installed for 12 years now. (72Z with a L28). It is triggered by the points. I run quality 8mm wires and have the head grounded to the block as recommended by MSD. It is mounted in the engine bay with vibration isolaters. I agree they do seem to have too many failures. I just do not understand why.

• 3 weeks later...
MSD has had a questionable rep for a lot longer than 5 years. As others have said, my experience has been very positive. I bought a 6AL basically just to get the rev limiter and have used it for at least 6 years if not longer, only time I ever had trouble was when I disconnected it and reconnected it wrong.

I was looking at the 6AL at the parts store where I work, it doesnt look half bad, especially with an employee discount :-D

BUT, at the same time, I've been seriously considering a Crane system.

Havent heard much about crane, but recently I've heard enough negative things about MSD that I dont know if the 6AL would really be worth the money if it's possibly going to leave me stranded at somepoint in the near future.

Hearing good things about it from you and srgunz has me considering the 6AL again... but I'm still not that sure. I'm more of a mechanical guy, and ignition systems confuse me

• 2 weeks later...

I’m looking at the Crane 6000-6400; retails for around $250. Its other advantage vs. MSD 6AL is that the Crane uses switches to change the rev limit, while the MSD uses plug-in modules.

I will probably get the Crane PS92 ignition coil, http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&lvl=4&prt=166 .

But what to do for a distributor? I might spring for the Crane 1000-1500 “electronic†distributor; nice piece, but they certainly make a nice profit off that one! And, Crane’s manual for the 6000-6400 ignition box mentions all sorts of distributor combinations, but does NOT mention their own distributor! MSD makes something similar, but that one requires removal of the cap to change timing settings, while Crane’s has screwdriver-accessible switches on the distributor body.

• 2 weeks later...

well, my $0.02,

MSD is HEI, and HEI is not made for high RPM driving, or so is what I've read about HEI. Check out a company called DUI, yeah sounds funny, but they've made a better system capable of high RPM output. Now the V8's with MSD I've run into run great on it but the powerbands in these cars are at 4000-5000 RPM, so they didn't run into this.

But either way you look at it, it should work properly into the 6000 range. I remember somewhere about a resistor to the dizzy for RPM, and if that is forgotten there is a possibilty for box error, I think.

Otherwise, don't forget to ground the head. At high RPM it is VERY noticeable. And may want to listen to your bearings. Hopefully the motor didn't ground through any beraings, engine, wheel, etc.

I would really like to know how all these boxes fail...

• Administrators

Hmmm.. Lets define what MSD is and is not a little more… Well MSD is NOT HEI, but MSD does sell ignition components for the GM HEI ignition systems.

Yes, Davis Unified Ignition offers some high quality Dizzy ignition systems for the domestic crowd. If you are running a distributor in your strong running domestic V-8 or V-6 engine, the D.U.I. is a great option and should not be overlooked.

Some of us would like to stretch the ignition envelope to a whole another level using stand alone all inclusive Engine Management Systems, (EMS for short), such as WOLF 3d, Mega Squirt, etc.. This allows us to get rid of the distributor all together and either use Wasted spark or Coil on Plug Sequential ignition systems. Timing is much more stable and there is no reduction is spark quality do to wearing rotor and dizzy, plug wires are kept short or even non existent in some applications. etc. etc. etc…

I am pretty sure the jest of this thread is in regards to the quality of MSD ignition related electronics, whether those ignition components are used on a Datsun L-series, Honda half motors, Domestic V-8’s or anything else, including the GM HEI. It wasn’t geared just at the GM HEI.

back to the original question.

crane Hi-6R has boost retard function. I have one in a car that is still being restored so it has never seen any real road time, but I've heard complaints by some guys that they don't hold up well here in the desert heat.

I know a guy who is a real fan of Jacobs stuff who uses it in supercharged jeep out in the desert for sand dunes.

I'm curious why you are losing MSDs. I haven't had any problems with a 6AL like you have. Do you see a lot of heat, vibration or moisture?