HybridZ

Anyone tell me the pros/cons to these two trannys?

I've got a guy with a built turbo 350 and 327 250hp he might trade for my Conquest. Does the JTR tranny mount work fine with the turbo 350 or are there differences between it and the 700r4? i dont know which of the two is optimal, or have any idea on the differences between the two.

the 700r4 is loosly based on the th350 but with an overdriven top gear ratio

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/trans_dims.asp

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/gear_ratios.asp

both transmissions can be built to handle more than the stock 350 ft lbs of tq but neither is a true heavy duty trans

700r4 has a big rpm drop in the 1-2 shift, but it's a 4 speed auto. I prefer a beefed up 200r4 because of the tighter gear spread.

Turbo 350's can be had for dirt cheap now that 4 speed autos are so common if price is a concern.

I've had a few 350th trannys, and 700r4's in various vehicles (hod rods, daily drivers) and found the 700r4 likes to 'hang on' to first gear for a long time, and yes it then drops WAY down when it shifts to 2nd.

Personaly, I find the 350 to be a pretty good tough tranny, and they are common as flies. The 700r4's can be touchy from what I've seen; Some years are not so strong and you can burn them out very easily (they can be beefed up, yes). Some years have an electronic output for the spedometer, and they only seam to work properly with the original ecu/engine but I've seen 700r4's with a cable spedo as well. From what I've seen, some 700r4s' that need the wiring conections from an ecu (the TBI years anyway) don't like running 'on their own' (IE; without an ecu...Im assuming you have a carb motor?) Also, without a well mached rear gear, they are still screaming on the highway just like the 3 speeds. Basicaly I'd say a 'built' 350th is a good choice for durability and simplicity.. but if you have a 3:90 rear gear, a 60 mph blast down the freeway is gona be really rev happy, and not so good for fuel mileage!

To answer your question, the th350 is a 3 speed automatic that is very durable and can be built to handle pretty good HP, say 600+. The 700 is a 4 speed (3 plus OD) POS that is marginal at best with 400HP tops IMO. I've seen some 700's live at more than that but not for very long. If your going OD then seriously look at the 4l80e. I have two trans builder friends and neither say much good about the 700 trans.

Assess your needs and purpose, select which trans would work with the HP, use intended and durability you desire.

• Like 1

Hmm, I guess I need to do some gearing research. I think my Z has the 4.11 in it, and I have a spare 3.9. I might want to step down to the 3.54 just to have a little extra highway speed, but I really wouldn't imagine me doing more with the car than going around town anyways.

I would say a 350th tranny and a 3:90 gear would be great if you actually DO stay around town. You'll have plenty of 'go' off the line, and I to believe it is the tougher tranny. The 4L80 trans in my truck has been good to me for the last 8 months, and apparently the previous owner(s) too.. 360 000 k's showing and still going strong. Oh, and the truck is a 1 tonne dually with a mk 5 454. Only drawback I see is the cost of rebuilding them... over twice the cost of a 350th or 700r4 from what I've found..

Regardless which tranny you choose in the over-drive varients out there, I'd not consider a transmission, manual or automatic, for street duty of any kind without an overdrive. You'll take a major hit at the gas pumps and you'll be limited to driving it at certain speeds on the interstate.

Mike