HybridZ

Best UPS delivery in along time - mm175

240zV8

:D WOW! I have the biggest smile on my face, and i was actually pretty depressed today for some reason. That is until the UPS guy just dropped this off. Now i know how some of you feel when u get that new engine, or new paint job, this is big for me, and i had to post it... thanks for convincing me on the mm175, this thing is amazing, and i never thought it would be this heavy (never picked one up before)

edit: I didn't even notice that last thin box on the floor was a brand new Miller cart!! I was like, what the??? I paid $715 total brand new to my door, and I thought i was just getting the new welder. I got it from a place called Quimbycorp on ebay. There in portland, shipping was free and it only took 2 days. But i'm in shock that it came with a cart...so here's some pics of that

im000783jl3.jpg

http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=im000782gm9.jpg

im000779jk1.jpg

im000781ce5.jpg

Flux core wire sucks...lol... although i'm trying to weld (i think) 16 gauge with .030" flux wire... I'm all over the place...lol, the thing is real smooth even with this crappy wire and me not having the right voltage and speed settings..lol. I think first thing is to get a bottle, and only use this flux for outside. I might build a storage rack instead since it came with that free cart. (edited pics up top)

oh man, i didn't eat dinner until like 1am last night...lol, I'm gettin better with this flux wire, i've never really welded alot on my own, just some spot welding on my neigbors welder, but never long beads or anything. here's some more pics..lol

me :-D thanks to a blinded camera person

im000786xh7.jpg

Does this look like i'm welding with the right settings? It's .030" flux wire, on about 1/4" steel. the bottom looks like it got great penetration, but i'm still really new to welding so i don't know it's ok, more wire speed, or more voltage? don't mind the top left weld, that was the first weld i did and had it set at like 1 voltage.. and yes i need to work on a steady hand, lol

im000784vt5.jpg

A couple things...

I weld with two hands all the time. Use your left arm(assuming you weld right handed) to make a support and slide your right hand across your left arm as you weld. Keep your left arm at least 4" away from where you are welding.

Before you run a bead make sure you have a free range of movement in the direction you are going to weld.

I am looking at a Miller synchrowave 200 AC/DC TIG/STICK welder...That means ALUMINUM BABY!!! It is only $1700 as well!

I look at www.cyberweld.com

lots of good prices.

You know Miller has discontinued the MM175 and introduced the MM180 as a slight redesign. Not like it is a big deal or anything...

It looks like you got a GREAT deal on that welder!!

the 180 seems like they wanted to boost sales with a new higher model name, i talked to the local guy and he said the parts are all interchangable. I'm glad i didn't get a 4 tapped model like the hobart because every little change in voltage and speed makes a big difference.

thanks for the tips, i'll put them to use. I welded a stainless steel wrench with this flux wire just now..lol, it was ugly but really strong.

Those welds look like you are moving too fast to me. Turn the wire speed down a bit and go slower. Also for a pattern I like to do a series of curves back and forth as I go along like )))))))))))))) but you can also do circles or NNNNNNNNNN or whatever works for you.

My take on the MM135 suggested settings is that they're a little low on the voltage and a little high on the wire speed.

Last thing is that you should weld some stuff together and then cut the weld in half and look for pitting and inclusions and that sort of thing. You can also weld two pipes together and put them in a vise and beat the crap out of them with a BFH and see if you can break them apart.

I did another long bead on the other side. U can see it started off good from the left, but i had to shift positions half way through while welding, and it messed up my rythme so the weld got ugly again.. there's been no spatter from this flux wire, it's actually not bad (if u use it for what its made for)..lol.

im000788kt2.jpg

im000787it0.jpg

I am looking at a Miller synchrowave 200 AC/DC TIG/STICK welder...That means ALUMINUM BABY!!! It is only $1700 as well!

I look at www.cyberweld.com

lots of good prices.

You know Miller has discontinued the MM175 and introduced the MM180 as a slight redesign. Not like it is a big deal or anything...

It looks like you got a GREAT deal on that welder!!

I bought the synchrowave 200 about a year ago from cyberweld. It's awsome! Who would of thought you could get a tig welder for that price. I highly recomend cyberweld great customer service. And they shipped for free.

whats the average life of a contact tip? I killed my first one today..lol, i guess i'll just stock up on them. I went through about 3/4 of a 2lbs flux spool. I think flux is alittle harder on the tips than mig. I really need to get a gas bottle and some .024 solid wire, because i need to weld some sheetmetal and .030 flux just isn't cutting it (or should I say it IS cutting it..lol).

I changed the tip recently on mine for the first time, just because I hadn't changed the tip yet and was starting to wonder when one is supposed to change it... had my MM135 a couple years now, probably been through 15 lbs of .024 wire with gas.

I think operator error was the problem, lol. I had a burn back with the wire a couple times so i think thats what ruined the tip. I don't like flux wire at all, it fills up the nozzle with crusty stuff after just a couple long beads, but it does do good on thicker metal. I gotta just go pickup a cylinder and scrap this flux stuff. $145 for a full 80cuf cylinder is the best I found.

I think operator error was the problem, lol. I had a burn back with the wire a couple times so i think thats what ruined the tip. I don't like flux wire at all, it fills up the nozzle with crusty stuff after just a couple long beads, but it does do good on thicker metal. I gotta just go pickup a cylinder and scrap this flux stuff. $145 for a full 80cuf cylinder is the best I found.
thats not bad i got a 100 lbs bottle (5ft tall) full of gas and it was $329.00. but thats me now owning the bottle.oh and $35 of that was a mask. I also got a 175 and i love it