HybridZ

Mega squirt on PS2?

MaTTSuN

these things are so cheap now all u need is a $100 lcd screen and ur in biz

does anyone think it would work?

i know nothing about writing code and what not but thinking of putting a MS together and thought it might be a cool way to do it

Matt

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have MS programs for PC and for handhelds. You need more than just an LCD to program it. What exactly are you looking to do?

With the cost of small form factor computer boards and the complete accessories built in you could easily build a small computer with LCD that would fit in the confines of the stereo compartment and possibly place a head unit in the glove box instead. Or wire the audio out of the PC to an amp and run the PC dual purpose as a MS prgrammer and audio system. Just be careful of heat. Get a good heat sink on it and keep air flowing.

probably not PS2 but Xbox you could probably pull it. Xbox can run windows because you can actually install stuff onto the drive. If you could find a way to partition the drive in the PS2 and install an older version of windows as I doubt a PS2 drive can hold 1-2gb then you might swing it. I'd go Xbox as you can put 80gb drives in them just like a computer and boot off of them. Little bigger, but still fairly cheap.

the first gen ps2 has a spot in the back for expansion "the big brick ones"

but the Xbox would better if you can put windows on it and stuff

80 gigs would be allot of music 2 hehe

im going to look for a cheep x-box now and a LCD would make for a nice project and would prob be my music system first then get the squirt on it AND play games when im waiting for my gf to get off work haha

i dont know why i didnt think of X-box my buddy has a modded one and it amazing

does the x-box have the dick slide out or a flip up? i forget

A good idea would be to get the guys from Xbox Media Center to try and write a program for the megasquirt community, if possible.

They have an addon that allows you to install a small 4x20 LCD screen into the corner of the xbox so that you can read song information and hardware status.

If anyone has any questions about modifying an xbox, let me know.

IT CAN work on a PS2 aswell. PS2 has many things that the xbox does.

The ps2 CAN load from harddrive.

the ps2 CAN run linux, which megasquirt has a program for.

the ps2 CAN fit anywhere the xbox can.

The xbox can't really run windows without some extensive modifications. just because it has a harddrive, it doesn't make it easy.

You're better off running MacOSX on it or something. it has only 64 megs of ram, I believe, and it's quite slow to be honest.

The best bet for megasquirt would be having someone code a megasquirt program that will allow it to run natively as an operating system, so that you can boot into it. This way, it would take advantage of the entire hardware feature set and would reduce problems due to the fact that almost all xboxen interface the same, and that it would just require certain parameters in the coding, and not neccessarily a bunch of discombobulated windows hack drivers.

IF someone knows how to code for xbox, that would be ideal, and it would work amazing, i'm willing to bet.

Guest TeamNissan

Funny to see this post as a have a mini atx system just sitting in my room waiting lol. You could in theory just get a used laptop for 100 bucks on ebay, take off the screen to mount its somewhere nice and hide the body. Then keep a wireless mouse in the armrest or something. I plan on doing it for ms,audio and navi. Sky is the limit though :-P.

Guest TeamNissan
I was considering using my mini-itx too, but an 8" touch screen is around $300...

I depends because you can pick up a broken hand held pc for like 50 bucks.... all on weather you want to solder or not.

It would be totally possible to build a megatunix linux livecd for xbox, but where is the demand?

Totally Correct this is probally the easiest way todo it aside from building your own XBE for the program (which isnt easy at all)

You can still install the linux version but it takes a little bit of skill on your side

That is so nice, every time I'm asking myself a question, I come to hybridZ to ask and most often, ther's allready a tread talking about it.

I've been looking at this for a while, having one computer doing all in the car, ECU, entertainement, anti-teft, diagnostics... Only problem is, I don't know sh*#t about computers, hell, even when my home computer freaks out, I have to call my, computer wiz, friend.

The best anti-teft feature would be the abiility to remove the computer from the car when you leave.

My question here, is it possible to drive a car straight from a laptop?

Like the laptop itself being the ECU?

I would also like to build a device where I could start the car with an USB key instead of a lock key. The point being that you can get a song, an image or any other file you want, to be your key then you have a push button to start. What are your toughts on this?????

Guest TeamNissan
That is so nice, every time I'm asking myself a question, I come to hybridZ to ask and most often, ther's allready a tread talking about it.

I've been looking at this for a while, having one computer doing all in the car, ECU, entertainement, anti-teft, diagnostics... Only problem is, I don't know sh*#t about computers, hell, even when my home computer freaks out, I have to call my, computer wiz, friend.

The best anti-teft feature would be the abiility to remove the computer from the car when you leave.

My question here, is it possible to drive a car straight from a laptop?

Like the laptop itself being the ECU?

I would also like to build a device where I could start the car with an USB key instead of a lock key. The point being that you can get a song, an image or any other file you want, to be your key then you have a push button to start. What are your toughts on this?????

Well the ecu IS a computer, you could in theory use a mod'd one AS a laptop lol. All plugging a computer into one like megasquirt does it allow you to program it and read it, if you wanted to could intigrate the entire thing into one unit but I dont see why.

You could use just about any method you want to start the sar from a metal key to fingerprint, once you have a onboard computer in which all or most fuctions run through sky is the limit.

The only flaw is that using methods like that for antitheft is kind of easy to beat. They can just bypass the whole shibang.

I personaly think the 2 best things to have on car for anti theft would be a gps reciever(because if they are dead set on taking the car nothing is going to stop them) and a club just to stop the small time boosters from smashing your window to try. If you want to go with the trifecta a fuel or ignition cut off. Those 3 things together would be enough to stop anyone.

...The only flaw is that using methods like that for antitheft is kind of easy to beat. They can just bypass the whole shibang...

That was the point of my idea of running the car trough the laptop directly, you turn off the car and leave with the ECU, this way, they can try to bypass whatever they want, it just won't start.

I was also planning on a MOBILUS system wich is a GPS tracking device, they're going to call you if the car moves and the keys are'nt in it + you get the benefit of being able to go to there web site and see where your car acctualy is.