HybridZ

Did any 280Z's come with LSD from the factory?

buZy

What the chances of my 78 280 R200 parts car having an oem LSD or posi type unit. If it did would be worth it to inspect it to see if it's ok? The car is in sad shape and buried in snow. But lsd diffs are expensive new and I thought maybe by rare chance I could save some money. Is it worth checking out or waste of time?

Brian

10889Picture_27812ss.jpg

No, none came with a Factory Installed LSD.

They were not on the factory option order list in the USA or North American Market (the only place that got 280Z's).

Outside the USA, both the 240 and 260Z were available with an optional LSD (S30 Vehicles) in the JDM, not sure about other markets but the JDM cars all had an LSD option.

This thread reminds me of a story…

We had a new member join our Z car club recently and he was telling everyone that his 1978 280Z (which he bought new) came with a LSD. Skeptical, I questioned him more closely and it turns out he ordered a new 4.11 R190 LSD from Nissan Motorsports when he ordered the 280Z and had the Nissan mechanics make the swap. So, when he picked up his “new†car at the dealer it had a LSD (!).

I think it’s human nature to stretch the truth sometimes…..