HybridZ

Best used car under $20k???

Datsun350Z

I'm thinking about picking up a used car this spring.

I've wanted an s2000 since forever, but since getting serious about this purchase and researching, i'm dissapointed in the power gains without forced induction.

Criteria:

MUST be:

1. Sells used for Under $20k with less than 50k miles.

2. 2000 or newer.

3. 200+ HP stock with room for reliable improvement.

4. Manual Trans

Prefer:

1. RWD

2. Convertible, T-Tops, Targa Top.

3. Under 3000 Lbs

Any ideas?

Or is the s2000 still my best bet?

I'm still set on the s2000, i'm just hoping to widen my eyes and make sure i'm not passing up something more potent for the same amount of $

Thanks for any input.

BTW, I know Cheaper platform + cash into Mods = Best bang for buck

But i'm tired of wrenching on my daily drivers. I need new(er) car reliablilty.

I know it's tempting, And i could have a wicked Rx-7 for that pricetag, but but like I said I need 2000 or newer. Also with the Mr-2 turbos, they were a favorite of mine... but for some reason the pricetag is stuck at around $8k... a little much for an mr-2 IMO.

I would say mr2 turbo, or a mark IV supra.

i used to work for a ford dealer where i smog tested the used cars for the lot.got ahold of an s2000 one morning-decided it needed a long test drive.i like those cars but if i got 1 i would leave it alone and just change the oil.2004& up has a slightly bigger engine for more midrange torque.problem with a highly developed car is bolt on hp mods dont produce much bang for the buck.honda has pretty much got all the hp they can from 2.2l.if you spent bucks for a cold air kit and exhaust you might see 10hp on a chassis dyno.the only other topless car thats cheap is a miata.to small and too slow for me.since i am an auto mechanic for a living fixing cars in my spare time isnt fun anymore-thats why a clean stock s2000 gets my vote.

My last car was a turbo miata. My favorite to drive so far.

I love the monster miatas, but I'm looking for something a little nicer than the miata base.

If I were going to spend the cash that way, I'd probably do an oldschool mini with an integra GSR swap (minor mods will net you 220 Hp)... Power to weight is unbelievable, 220HP 1350 Lbs

1. 2008 Viper: 3,400 lbs / 600 hp = 5.667 lbs/hp

2. Ford GT: 3,400 lbs / 550 hp = 6.182 lbs/hp

3. 2006 z06: 3,130 lbs / 505 hp = 6.198 lbs/hp

4. 2006 Viper: 3,400 lbs / 510 hp = 6.667 lbs/hp

5. Super Mini: 1,350 lbs / 220 hp = 6.13 lbs/hp

6. s2000: 2,800 lbs / 240 hp = 11.67 lbs/hp

Imagine how quickly you'd be at the dodge dealer with your new viper wondering why you can't shake a mini...

So why does it have to be 2000 or newer? There's a lot of older cars that are still good cars. The 90's BMW 3 and 5 series were still great cars when BWM replaced them with better cars for no reason (sales were still good, they just decided it was time).

A good supra could be a stretch on that budget actually. You'd either have to settle for a NA or get one of the cheeper more questionable turbo models.

And FC RX7 is much closer to that price range, though I'm still always weary about rotary longevity because no matter how many miles some people have put on them, the guys that are enthusiast rebuild them often because they're smart...

You could grab a 93 mustang cobra, drive it for 5 years and sell it for more money than you paid for it (though you gotta find one that's mint, and then keep it mint).

NSXs start around 20k so they're just a pinch out of range, but something to consider.

You could almost build a FFR cobra replica for that price, but that's time and time=money.

If I wanted a good all around vehicle at that price range though, for me it'd be a WRX. Cheep-ish, reliable-ish, good power. Very versatile car all around.

STI For Sale

There's a lot of options for that price range man, you just gotta decide what's most important.

Guest 81na ZX
And FC RX7 is much closer to that price range, though I'm still always weary about rotary longevity because no matter how many miles some people have put on them, the guys that are enthusiast rebuild them often because they're smart...

NA Rotaries last for ever. I had an 84 FB with more miles than my ZX (225k vs. 220k) :D . Original engine, it outlasted the body easily...

I have no other suggestions ;) I would have said Miata, but you already had one...

350z...?

You would say that wouldn't you?

Though I must admit... he's right. They've sold well enough that you can get a pretty decent deal on one used.

I just don't like how they're way heavier than the S30 cars and have less than half the cargo area.... 100% unpractical for myself.

I havnt checked the pricing because im not in the market to buy a car...

But, I would check out the Lancer Evo. Given your restrictions, that's what I would choose.

1) it's an Evo (lots of race history into that car)

2) plenty of power in stock form w/ lots of aftermarket support

3) It's four wheel drive

4) Brembos X 4 corners

5) Great handling

6) it's got four doors!

By the way, what will the car be used for?