HybridZ

Starter houses for HBZers...what you got? ideas, recomendations, hindsight?

OlderThanMe

Well since there are a bunch of hybridZers that are out there and getting of the age to buy houses (I'm getting there) I thought I'd see what starter houses people have?

I am going to be getting a house in about 4-5 years and want to DIY...

I was thinking a nice cute little house for 2 people and a garage out back

900-1200sq ft house($35k-$45k)

big (30'x40'?) steel shop out back...($17k+ $10k for tools etc.)

3 acres at $7-$10k an acre?(in the boonies)

Basically I want a place to live for a couple years after I get married with the right woman and run a business doing custom fab work: welding services, custom cars, custom fabrication for resturants, farm repair, etc... you know...the dream hybrider's job.

Maybe a single bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, and living area is all that is really needed.

I sort of like this floorplan. The standard price is $44,000 for this house. and I think it is a lot cheaper if you build it yourself...

Would it be worth it finding a similar plan with a second bedroom? I'm not really sure but it may be better safe than sorry if a young un' got dropped off by the pelican.

www.wildernesscabin.com has this plan:

w71548487.jpg

w71561889.gif

Do any of the older, more experiecned guys have reccomendations of what to look for? ideas, suggestions or any good info on a first house?

I obviously have some time before I buy a house but I figured that since I am already saving for it I should plan for what I want.

Any other Hybriders want to show off their first houses/shops/property?

1 tip...

If you buy or build.... you want something that will have some resale when you are ready to move on... Something that would be availible to a range of people... A 1 bedroom might be hard to sell later one... at least 2 and possible 3 if you can swing it... much easier to sell..

1 tip...

If you buy or build.... you want something that will have some resale when you are ready to move on... Something that would be availible to a range of people... A 1 bedroom might be hard to sell later one... at least 2 and possible 3 if you can swing it... much easier to sell..

Agreed

1 tip...

Agreed

hmm...Didn't even think of that. Thanks guys! keep it coming!

all i know is that land itself is getting really expensive here. My dad owns a couple hundred acres in different spots. But a small lot goes for 30k+ if u want anywhere close to the city. You don't really need a kit to build a nice house for yourself, just plan it, and get it approved. Personally i think the foundation is the only 'hard' part in building a 1 story house, the rest is just carpentry and labor. I worked for a construction company all my highschool years, and other than cleanup, it was fun to do. Just plan out everything down to the sq ft of the roof so you can get prices for roofing, insualtion, everything. 1200csq ft is plenty big for 3 bedrooms, thats what i grew up in....

240zv8: Land is crazy here at my parent's house. I think it is something like $35k-$40k an acre and I am 20 miles from Atlanta. If you go about 50-75 miles out it gets down to like $7k and less if you look.

Maybe I'll go take some carpentry classes at the local technical school where I got my welding diploma. I could take the classes during my long summer breaks from my 4 year college (which I am at for mechanical engineering)...

Don't get pulled into thinking those log home kits are cheap. My ex-fiancee (she who thought I would obey her...NOT!) looked into many log cabin kits after I hauled a few and the end result was they were as much as a new home.

Most don't have any electrical done, no plumbing, no HVAC etc... add that to the improvements you would have to do to a bare lot, water, sewer, foundation etc..... you get to see the point.

A friend of mine put up a two story sectional home and the upstairs wasn't finished, he did all that himself after they moved in. He put it on a bare lot and by the time he paid for a well, septic, driveway, foundation he realized he could have purchased an older home for about the same price and remodeled it to his liking. It then took him 6 years before he could afford to build his dream garage.

Probably the best thing to do for a first home is to buy a "fixer upper" in an area you like, you can find a lot of bargains if you look for them. Foreclosure sales, estate auctions etc.....The money you save can go for remodelling and building on to what is there, and you have a place to live in the meantime.

Oh, and don't complain about GA real estate, when I picked up a Z in Stockbridge a couple years ago, I drove thru a new development that had 3 bedroom homes w/2 car garages advertised for under 225-275K, and that will barely buy you a cramped duplex here 100 miles from DC.

I've got a townhome with no garage, and it's just big enough for my wife and I. Luckily we have no kids, and no plans for kids for at least a year or two, because if we did there would be nowhere to put them. Owning is definitely the way to go though if you can swing the downpayment. We got into this place (about 1200 ft2, 2 bedroom 2 and a 1/2 bath with both bedrooms upstairs) for about $89k 2 years ago, and it's worth about $160k now based on similar floorplans selling in the neighborhood. My wife and her dad are in real estate, so they've got more of a head for that sort of thing than I do...

1 tip...

Golden advice. I have been a real estate appraiser for about 16 years now and the advice Cruez just gave is spot on. Also, beware of log cabins (this is my opinion and may not hold true for your part of the country) since they are not looked upon as favorably as other types of homes by lenders. Why should you care? Well, if getting the best interest rate in a loan appeals to you, then build (or buy) a house that will bring you the best return---and that also means financing as well. The advice also given about buying a "fixer" can be good in that you must KNOW what you are looking at when you possibly buy that fixer upper. Structural concerns and the like should send you packing, not buying. Cosmetic repairs are no biggie really, and you can do the work yourself. There is an old axiom: buy the worst house in the best neighborhood and it pretty much holds true for investing purposes. When you fix up the turd in the best neighborhood, you'll have the highest return. Your idea of buying land to build on, however, is not a bad one. God isn't making any more of it. Think about that.

Davy

OTM, I'm the same boat as you. I work A LOT, with a decent paying job $35ish-k a year without overtime (lots of overtime 30hrs last week). One of the things I've been looking for has been property, not to immediately build on or immediately move onto. The reason being, I live in CA for the most part the real estate constantly is going up or at least will hold its value. For my city, we're expanding at an exponential rate, which means the smaller cities real estate around me is increasing. I'm looking at property appx. 1 acre in small city appx. 20 min from my current house with my rents. The space between this city and my current city has been bought out and has HUGE housing tracts and development going on it. What is the benefit of this, by the time I'm ready to get out of my parents house or have enough to build, the property will be worth a lot more and will be great for a resale (then down payment) or for a build. If you're not really looking to build or move right away, sitting on property will be great for giving you a tax break (huge for me since i get raped on taxes) and it gives you something to show for your money rather than large bank roll. Just my $.02,

Tyson

our property/house value has gone from like $110k to over 250k... in 18 years...

Not bad at all.

Mario: You should think about these things...

My Z will still look like crap when I get out of college but it will have one sweet drivetrain!!! Then I'll do the bodywork after college... $$$$$

2manyZs: Yeah I was thinking of that. You would probably have add $10k-$15k to the house to have it finished...

Max:

Hmm.. I have delivered(I'm a pizza delivery guy) to a bunch of townhomes around here and they are selling right under $100k and the area is quickly growing. 3 new schools going in within 3 miles, shopping going in everywhere,..It's crazy.

Davy: Cool. It's nice to have a professional chip in. Thanks for the tips!

Structural problems are definitely big. I have seen houses that people built themselves and was really impressed. They had like 7 girls under 18 and one guy a little older than me. They had the foundation poured for them and that was it. This house was big too! 2 stories plus an attic and basement.

Tyson: hmm... I'm not really in the mode to buy property but...great idea! I'm going to try and get a job this summer that pays better than $10-$12 hr...I think I am going to buy my own fabrication equipment and start doing stuff like intakes and headers....that way I can afford to start looking at property.

All great advice here. I would start with something already built, 10 years old or newer, at least 1500-2000 sq/ft, decent lot 3/4-1 acre and definetely a detached garage if you're going to work on cars in it. My first house and only house, I bought last year in November for $135,000. All brick, built in 1975 (a bit old, but it works), fireplace, central heating and air, 1700sq/ft, .94 acre, detached 2 car garage, brick storage shed and it's in generally good shape. I've had to strip out the master bathroom because whoever built the master bedroom addon screwed up the plumbing and the floors rotter through. but all is good, it's got new floors new plumbing and gett a full face lift inside.

One thing I didn't see mentioned was always check the age of the roof. If it hasn't had new shingles in the last 8-10 years put it in the bid that you want the roof redone. Most of them good for 15-20 years, but don't take that chance.

Man... too much to say in a single post, but really you have to DO YOUR HOMEWORK!! Know what to look for, and don't be afraid to walk away from something if it rubs you the wrong way. I bought an OLD house in town that needed some 'TLC' ...but it's not all easy, or cheep. Old plumbing (galvinized pipes) old/badly rewired electrical (FUSE box, knob and tube, too many outlets/switches on one circuit, ect) and LATH AND PLASTER WALLS!!! Oh god I hate that crap.. And I'm only about half way there... The garage is an old flat roof 1.5 car that has no heat, and has some grading issues in the back yard, causing some water to get in.. The front porch/covered sunroom above is leaning/sinking to one side.. (I'll probly rip it off in the spring) BUT.... I picked it up from an estate sale for a good price, so maybe next summer I can flip it, make a few $$K and find a nice little place in the country with a decent shop.

ill tell ya somtin OTM and anyone else that listens, DONT stretch yourself, if your uncomfortable at all when you go into it stop and rethink it. I didnt and i jsut got done filing bankruptcy last month. BRand new Baby Boy ( WOOO HOO ) and bran new mortgage in the same year were killer on us. And Land in Nortwest GA is 5 to 15k FYI OTM. So needless to say im gald you doin your homework as I did not but some lessons are learned hard :)

Keep on rockin!