HybridZ

California Smog

datz280

I have a 77 and live in clifornia. I am thinking of swapping in a l28et over the summer. I dont think smog certificating and going to a referee will be to hard (famous last words). I am also thinking of using a MegaSquirt n Spark system for the FI and spark. i searched but could not find a deffinate answer. Will I using an aftermarket system like MSnS cause me to fail Cali. Smog?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am a licensed smog tech in komifornia.i have a 77z with zxt motor.the megasquirt will work better but technically the zxt engine can only run all stock efi system and all other systems like evap system must be working.i did the install on my car and it passed at the ref first try.they issue a sticker for your door jam.about ms-i wouldnt install it until car is passed at the ref station.then you will need to figure out how to make it control egr.no egr=high nox output.my car is no longer registered in ca.the stock zxt efi system hits the limit very early as far as horse power goes.the ref will go over the whole car when you get it inspected.then be prepared for test only every 2 years.i couldnt test my own car when i used to work at a ford dealership.but i used the smog machine to test my car and check my repairs before going to test only station.to make the car pass you should have a very good understanding of emission systems.also be aware that things like old partially plugged fuel injectors and poor connections at sensors will cause hours of frustration-whren i swapped my motor in i used new injectors and alot of new supporting parts.so if you try to cut corners you will cause problems with may trips to ref station and dmv to get 1 month temp sticker.

FYI, there are more than a few MS units that have run in 'stealth mode' and successfully passed California Smog Check...TWICE! (Been running that long? Yeah, they have!)

Key is disguising the system so it doesn't raise suspicion---meaning you still have an AFM (gutless) hanging there, as well as a stock looking (or reused) stock wiring harness.

It's illegal, but civil disobedience on this point IMO is worth the effort! What comes out the tailpipe should be the ONLY criteria for pass/fail. How you get there is none of the government's business!

I agree! In washington i have (in theroy!) removed alot of cats and not even seen a diff in emmissions! But i have seen increse in hp and gas mileage. Considering they worry about consuption of fuel and emmissions why they have not figured this out i dont know. Finlly tuned engines you all put back on the street problaly produce less emmisions, also oil buring which is not tested here, is problaly a service to the tree huggers! Minus wheel burn outs:icon52: ! I think in part liberals are miserable and misery loves company. ps now they just want to plug into the computer that most cars come from, and since there is a standerization in the industy probaly be very easy to spoof the test, even if there eyes are burning from the unspent fuel!!! The machine dose not lie ya know!

Thanks guys. When I do the swap I will look at running the MSnS in a spot where it will not raise susspisions. Perhaps in the stock computer location, if it will fit. Also, unfortunatly from what I understand the exemption from smog testing in california has been stopped at 75.

"Unjust laws exist: shall we be content to obey them, or shall we endeavor to amend them, and obey them until we have succeeded, or shall we transgress them at once?" I vote for transgression at once!!!

hey, guess what--this is 2007--yer 1977 should be exempt this year--check it out----------

Hey, guess what? It's not exempt! Nothing has been 'exempt" from anything but the biennial smog test, compliance is still required for emissions. But the rolling 30 year law hasn't been active for some time, repealed at least a year ago in lieu of the new regulations.

And if it was still in effect, the 77 would have rolled off the testing requirements as of Jan 1, 2006, not 2007. This January, if the 30 year rolling was still in effect in CA would have meant the 78's would have rolled off the testing.

As it sits, testing is dropped for vehicles manufactured prior to 1976. That means 1975 and earlier. And that's frozen. They want ALL vehicles with a catalyst to test as long as they are on the road.

The only exemption you will recieve on a vehicle newer than 1975 is if the vehicle is 35 Years Old and you have collector car insurance on it---in that case you are exempted from the VISUAL COMPLIANCE requirement of the SMOG Test Program, but you will STILL have to pass the Tailpipe Emissions Requirement for the year (as put forward by the state).

Truthfully if it doesn't pass a sniffer test, something is seriously wrong, but I shall resist the urge to digress...

I won't even bother trying to smog it...but yes the MS fits nicely in the factory ECU location, it's easy to use the factory wiring (there are plenty, and they are numbered) All a smog station would see on my car is the wideband meter, boost gauge, and the MS-II (it fits in the stock ECU location, but it's obviously not the stock ECU), plus my AFM is long gone and I have a FMIC.

I'm leaving cali in about 2 weeks bound for PA (hope I don't get snowed in along the way, it's looking that way though)

Good luck with your smog woes

The bad thing also is that it is illegal to have any sort of air/fuel meter/gauge in your vehicle in CA. But do I care? Nope.

Is this true???

I am a CA smog tech and I don't remember reading that any where.

Of course I don't rememeber 100% of all the smog laws that we had to

go over.

Guest 280ZForce
Is this true???

I am a CA smog tech and I don't remember reading that any where.

Of course I don't rememeber 100% of all the smog laws that we had to

go over.

Yes, it is. Because in a state where you are not allowed to mess with your afr, then they think why would a afr gauge need to be present unless you are doing something illegal modification wise.

I know because I used to own a 99 corolla and had to go to the referee before and I had a few gauges in a pillar pod and they check them to make sure and told me about the afr gauge law.

The AFR gauge thing seems like something us CA people would put in place. Everyone I know who has one uses it to tune their cars for better MPG 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time they're on the track and exempt from smog requirements. This is a very dangerous slippery slope, pretty soon we won't be allowed to have timing lights because we might use them to change our cars to an illegal setting. Gauges are diagnostic tools, they tell us when things are working correctly. If I wanted to make my car run rich and get some more power, I wouldn't even use a gauge, just turn my AFM wheel a couple notches, then turn it back to smog.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel that any law forcing us to become less involved in something we own is full of it.

I'm going to call B.S. on the gauge as well. It does not alter the emissions, and is only an indicating gauge. Someone was B.S.-ing you that day. They will do that!

On another aside, I got an enthusiastic call from someone down in Long Beach two days ago about their "Turbo Maxima"! I had told him the procedure for getting it referreed, and he did it. The guy was amazed how EASY it was.

To put it simply:

Engine same year or newer than the chassis.

All required items for pollution control in place and functioning.

As long as it passes the roller test, you get your certificate and door panel sticker forever more!

Some of his quotes:

"Those guys just looked around the engine bay, and it all looked stock, we put EVERYTHING in there from the ZX."

"I'm amazed how easy it was!"

It's really not that hard to be legal. It just takes some attention to detail. Now he has a Turbo 83 Maxima!

And of course, now he's thinking of converting the windshield washer reservior for Methanol Injection, putting a bigger Turbo on, and hiding a MS unit using stock wiring. "They will never know!" A man after my own heart! LOL