HybridZ

Camber plate installation

Yorgee

Thanks Arizonazcar for your an excellent installation guide for 240z camber plates.

I'm currently in the process of installing some coilovers on my Z and I was able to finish the front two camber plates last weekend. I based a lot of what I did on the guide I found on Arizonazcar and thought it would be a good idea to take some picture of my process as well. It never hurts to show these kinds of procedures, never know when someone might need the info and I'm hoping it can help someone. (just excuse my welding...haha)

http://geocities.com/yorgola555/camberplateinstall.html

I'm still planning on putting a little bondo to smooth out the strut towers. Is there something better I could use??

Yorgee, I guess the one thing that looks real intimidating on those install instructions is getting the plates perpendicular to the center line of the car. I mean, what do you use for a reference? It's not like this is something that can be off a little bit.

Yorgee, I guess the one thing that looks real intimidating on those install instructions is getting the plates perpendicular to the center line of the car. I mean, what do you use for a reference? It's not like this is something that can be off a little bit.

I did exactly what Lunar did. I measured from the back of the engine bay along side the walls, and then used a long straight edge to make them parallel.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good man, but I wouldn't put bondo on there.. I can see it cracking really quick given the stresses that area will see.. I'd try to get it a smooth as you can, and maybe try some liquid metal.. Also, I'd get some washers under the cap screws.. It's kind of a rule of thumb IMO for any cap screw/bolt going through a slot that is ment for adjustment. A few times tighnening/loosening them and it will mess up the edge of the slots (mushroom the edge down) making adjustment difficult, and possibly allowing unwanted movement of the part. (strut in this case) :icon52:

Yah I decided to take off the bondo last night, never thought about the bondo cracking though, that's a good point. I'll leave it how it is for now and maybe try the liquid metal later on. And as for the washers under those bolts, I just had them off because I was moving the bolts around to make sure the camber plate would be able to slide freely both ways.

Update:

I picked up my coilovers at Vildini Motorsport yesterday, and they did an excellent job.

100_2420.jpg

I was able to install the front 2, they look awesome.

100_2419.jpg

100_2432.jpg

very nice work. do u like those webbers? not trying to change the topic

ha, thats cool, I don't mind the topic switch. I think these carbs pull a lot better than the SU's, and the SU's that I had before were built by Ztheropy too. The SU was more like a burst a power but slowly died as the engine rev'd up. Not to mention the sound the webers make, they sound awesome.

I was just dropping my car off of the car stands when I noticed my front rims were hitting the tie rod ends. I think the bump steer adapters MSA sold me are the wrong size...

I think the bump steer adapters MSA sold me are the wrong size...

What diameter rims? The 3/4" should fit in most 14" rims, unless specified backspacing is too much, then rim construction may come into play.

15" should clear everything...what is the height of your spacers, and if this is not being built to a specific racing class (i.e. Hot Street Vehicle), why not relocate the inner A-Arm pivot point as well?

Funny, you can actually build a street vehicle that can handle better than most race vehicles, as you are not constrained by suspension mounting restrictions... I digress...

Yeah, I don't mean to blame MSA on selling me the wrong spacer, I never considered the problem might be because of the rims I have. I was just a little mad at the time (2 am and I wanted to take it for a test drive after working on it all day, only to find out I can't fit my front wheels.) ... haha. But good news is I got my car back on the ground and the ride feels great. Like a completely different car. I was going to post some pictures but it got kind of dark outside. I'll try and take some tomorrow.