HybridZ

New Guy Here With Z32 8v

GEMINITWIN111

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I too have been wanting to see pics of this project as I have a vested interested in the Z-32 with a traditional SBC conversion.

For those interested, here is his pic album that he mentioned previously.

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=20240

I get the impression that Geminitiwn is being straight up with us about his 1/8 mile times of 6.90. Heck, my “MILD” V-8 Z that weighed 2900 lbs with me and half bag of gas, WAY wrong gearing, and very cheesy 195 60 HR 14” Yokohama Y-388 all season tires, ran consistent 12.3 @ 113 MPH in the 1/4, 1/8 mile was 8.06 @ 92.58 MPH. This was a ’75 280 Z with WAY wrong gearing, set up for autocross duty, MILD Chev 350, iron 041 casting heads with 1.94”/1.50” valves, my pocket porting, standard Edelbrock performer intake manifold, (not the RPM version), used Holley 650 carb with NO tuning other than idle mixture, 216-228 @ .050” Flat Tappet cam on 112 LSA. Trans was a World Class T-5, diff was a welded 3.90 ratio R-200, launches were all in 2nd gear. My car was not a drag car yet produced respectable times for being “MILD”. Geminitwins car weighs only 100 lbs more, engine is WAY more serious and could be running at least mediocre tires, which in my feeble mind could easily produce a 6.90 1/8 mile ET…

280Z1.jpg

280Z2.jpg

paulr101098best.jpg

Heck, my “MILD†V-8 Z that weighed 2900 lbs with me and half bag of gas, WAY wrong gearing, and very cheesy 195 60 HR 14†Yokohama Y-388 all season tires, ran consistent 12.3 @ 113 MPH in the 1/4, 1/8 mile was 8.06 @ 92.58 MPH, set up for autocross duty, MILD Chev 350, iron 041 casting heads with 1.94â€/1.50†valves, my pocket porting, standard Edelbrock performer intake manifold, (not the RPM version), used Holley 650 carb with NO tuning other than idle mixture, 216-228 @ .050†Flat Tappet cam on 112 LSA. Trans was a World Class T-5, diff was a welded 3.90 ratio R-200, launches were all in 2nd gear. My car was not a drag car yet produced respectable times for being “MILDâ€.

Paul, if it makes you feel any better, I'd rather have your car...anyday :mrgreen:

Davy

So you are located over in Mesquite,. My friend has a shop over off 80 by Poteet high school, Automotive Solution. He has a sbc powerwed 240Z with a B&M baby blower.

If you want to run around sometime let me know I am always out running at night when the weather gets better. I have a 1971 Datsun 240Z with a stroked sbc. It went 6.80 at 102 on the motor and 6.59 at 107.70 just hitting the bottle at the top of second. I should be good for 6.20's or better on a full pass, especially with my new tighter converter.

I used my 9.5" converter which was too much converter for my set up. It flashed at 4200 on the motor and 5200 on the juice. My new one flashes at 3200 on motor and 4200 on the juice.

Welcome aboard I would love to met up one night and see your car.

Mike

So you are located over in Mesquite,. My friend has a shop over off 80 by Poteet high school, Automotive Solution. He has a sbc powerwed 240Z with a B&M baby blower.

If you want to run around sometime let me know I am always out running at night when the weather gets better. I have a 1971 Datsun 240Z with a stroked sbc. It went 6.80 at 102 on the motor and 6.59 at 107.70 just hitting the bottle at the top of second. I should be good for 6.20's or better on a full pass, especially with my new tighter converter.

I used my 9.5" converter which was too much converter for my set up. It flashed at 4200 on the motor and 5200 on the juice. My new one flashes at 3200 on motor and 4200 on the juice.

Welcome aboard I would love to met up one night and see your car.

Mike

So Mike is that still a 3500 stall? Edge?

Terry

Yes Sir it is! I sent it back to them and had them tweek it a little bit. I am hoping the weather will improve so I can go take it to the track and see what it will do know.

Guest TeamNissan

Really? Thats a wierd law, or maybe I'm out of the loop. In jersey you can register a box on 4 wheels if it has a vin lol. But here they will tow or ticket a unregistered car even if its on your property.

If your main residence is in Witchita Falls or you "technically" live there then getting green sheeted wouldn't be a problem. But if your license is in the DFW area it's as you say " a pain in the butt" to even pass a visual test. Make sure the county you will have the car in doesn't require emissions testing and all that they do is the safety inspection.

Thats Why Ill Need To Take Back Up To Wichita.i Have Family There For Addresses And They Are Emission Free.but Still Even There Ill Have To Have A Set Of Cats Put On Because Of The Year Of The Car.i Have A Buddy Who Owns An Exhaut Shop Up There So That Wouldnt Be A Problem To Put Them On And Then Remove Them.its Just The Hassle Of Taking The Car Up There