HybridZ

Helical set up for the 300 ZXT r200 LSD

Guest zfan

Does anyone remember who it was that sold the helical set up for the r200 lSD clutch type rear ends. I have grenaded 2 stock clutch type rear ends...sheered the ears right off....DAMNIT!

My understanding was that the helical set up though exspensive is guaranteed forever or replaced free of charge.

Mike

Or you could sell 1 of your grenaded Diff. to me as I can't find one anywhere lol.

For the Helical, you can also try the OBX unit which is about $380 on e-bay, it's a Quaïf knockoff.

It's been reported, on this site, as an good unit with sloppy assembly and weak Belleville springs.

You can get the springs from McMasters for pretty cheap.

Just do a search on OBX and you'll find at least 2 very good treads about it.

Do you use a linelock set up to heat up your tires? I used the brake method and think thats what did in the clutches, they do not like me stepping on the brakes and the gas at the same time...LOL.

I have since gone linelock but think it is too late. Mustang guys with the clutch type rear ends claim the same failures when applying brakes and hitting the gas to heat the tires at the track.

I guess I need to check out all my options because if my memory serves me right the helical set up thru quaffe is 1300 usd...OUCH!

I could darn near do a solid axle swap for that plus some change!!!!!!!

I still have some of my clutches if you're interested in puttin more in there...

I was really trying to wait until i got some feedback from the guys that have them before I sold any more though...

again... i'm sorry I never sold them to you before... I was going through a particularly busy time trying to finish school and all. Now I've graduated and settled in at my job at Cessna, so I have a little more free time.

wowo, woowee! Something happened to my post, it's dissapeared.

I leave the rear drums adjusted loose when dragging, and then readjust them back before going home at night's end. Works for me!

wonder where my post went?

problem w the clsd is that when doing burnouts you induce heaps of heat in the clutches, no oil coilers or no air going over them if you do. It ruins the tempering in the clutch rings therefore shearing the ears off them.

im now running a CLSD wit 5 clutches / side. its from an r32 skyline and has an unknown manufacturer and no stampings. set me back $660AUD andis 2way, was listed as 1.5 way and a drift centre lol. Also had 13mm crownwheel bolts and holes??

nato

I think you are running a Tomei LSD. In anycase I wouldnt think donuts would kill clutches. I thought the clutches were killed when you are pulling hard out of a corner and the differential between the two wheels is high. When doing donuts I would think the differential between the wheels to be similar. In any case the Nismo PG unit has more aggressive ramp angles then stock for harder lock up and most likely has 3 or more clutches a side. I believe the tomei unit has the same angles or about the same as the PG.

good call it is a tomei, for the ramp angles mine is 45deg both dir (ie 2way)

the tomei unit was/is from an r32 with 29 spline so if i wanted can run stock shafts with a new circlip groove cut (did this as a temp thing till i got the cv axles all sorted) didnt want to use a bodgy cv axle spacer adaptor and waited till i sourced a total bolt up, only thing needed was the crownwheel bolt sleeves for the 13mm holes to suit the m10 bolts, took about 45 mins to make 12 of them (a couple spares).

nato